HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3561  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:23 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
regarding Champlain: Bâton Rouge would be interesting, Tommy is an outlet branded location, I'm not even sure why it ended at Champlain in the first place. As for the mall in general, low rents will not bring the upscale tenants needed (only substandard ones), but I agree they need to bring up their game and attract tenants which are currently only landing in Halifax and Dartmouth lately...

Globo Shoes will not bring people or attention to the mall and I don't consider it a worthy tenant for Champlain. DSW is the place to shop for shoes in the Moncton area right now.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Apr 14, 2016 at 1:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3562  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 2:49 AM
micks5477's Avatar
micks5477 micks5477 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
It will be next door to CAA.
Yes, you are correct. I was over there today and contractor did say the store is going to be a Tommy Hilfiger.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3563  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 11:56 AM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
regarding Champlain: Bâton Rouge would be interesting, Tommy is an outlet branded location, I'm not even sure why it ended at Champlain in the first place. As for the mall in general, low rents will not bring the upscale tenants needed (only substandard ones), but I agree they need to bring up their game and attract tenants which are currently only landing in Halifax and Dartmouth lately...

Globo Shoes will not bring people or attention to the mall and I don't consider it a worthy tenant for Champlain. DSW is the place to shop for shoes in the Moncton area right now.
I tend to agree that Halifax and Dartmouth have been on top of the retail game as of late when it comes to mall type operations and I can think of a few stores that have called Halifax home like Hollister, Forever 21, IKea, Hockey Life, Journey Shoes to name a few.

I know here in Moncton we have DSW, Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas (Until 2017). But I think that CF Champlain needs to rethink their strategy and bring it to the public.

But I will send another Email to Tagner Outlets to encourage them to come to Moncton or even Dieppe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3564  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 12:26 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,297


What do you mean "until 2017"?

I know they are building a Cabela's at Dartmouth Crossing. Do you simply mean that we lose exclusivity to that brand at that time, or do you mean that you expect the Moncton store to close in 2017??

Personally, I don't think the Cabela's in Halifax means that our store is doomed. In fact, when Cabela's first entered the Canadian marketplace, they stated that their objective was to open a store in every single Canadian province (I'm not sure if they knew how small PEI is ).

In any event, I still see no evidence of a demise for the local store. They are still advertising for staff on an ongoing basis. I think they are almost as busy as Bass Pro.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 14, 2016 at 1:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3565  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 1:09 PM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post


What do you mean "until 2017"?

I know they are building a Cabela's at Dartmouth Crossing. Do you simply mean that we lose exclusivity to that brand at that time, or do you mean that you expect the Moncton store to close in 2017??

Personally, I don't think the Cabela's in Halifax means that our store is doomed. In fact, when Cabela's first entered the Canadian marketplace, they stated that their objective was to open a store in every single Canadian province (I'm not sure if they knew how small PEI is ).

In any event, I still see no evidence of a demise for the local store. They are still advertising for staff on an ongoing basis. I think they are almost as busy as Bass Pro.
What I meant by 2017 for Cabelas is that MOncton being the only Cabelas location in the maritimes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3566  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 2:21 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
Champlain Place should be attracting upscale or successful and popular stores which landed in Halifax but not here yet; Aritzia, Forever 21, Apple, Lush, Michael Kors, Brown's and Zara (which is possibly coming to HSC) just to name a few. The Halifax Shopping Center is becoming a mini Yorkdale while Champlain is on the sideline looking in.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Apr 14, 2016 at 2:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3567  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 3:55 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Champlain Place should be attracting upscale or successful and popular stores which landed in Halifax but not here yet; Aritzia, Forever 21, Apple, Lush, Michael Kors, Brown's and Zara (which is possibly coming to HSC) just to name a few. The Halifax Shopping Center is becoming a mini Yorkdale while Champlain is on the sideline looking in.
Din't apple open in CF Champlain at one point, and was not able to get the buzz that would have been needed to stay open? I know we had a Sony store, and they closed almost as quickly as they open in my opinion, and there have been Talks of Forever 21 coming to Greater Moncton but at this time is looking to be a bust.

With the potential of Sobeys possibly leaving CF Champlain we may be seeing a lot of changes in the near future. But it does sorta depend on the residents as well since there are so many protesting any changes that might be in the works it seems.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3568  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:04 PM
OliverD OliverD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Din't apple open in CF Champlain at one point, and was not able to get the buzz that would have been needed to stay open?
No.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3569  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:07 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I know we had a Sony store, and they closed almost as quickly as they open in my opinion
We had several iterations of the Sony store in Moncton, in varying locations over multiple years (at least 20), and at one point there were two Sony stores in Moncton. They were pretty busy, but ultimately Sony left the retail market completely in Canada.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3570  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:15 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
No.
Apple could have a store here I think though. Jump+ usually pretty busy. But I think Apple doesn't put stores in markets this small.
__________________
We The People
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3571  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 7:15 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Apple could have a store here I think though. Jump+ usually pretty busy. But I think Apple doesn't put stores in markets this small.
Probably not. Jump+ is busy, but only busy enough for a larger version of their current store. Something twice the size would be good. Unless Apple decides to go significantly downmarket, I doubt that you would ever see a store in Champlain.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3572  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 8:07 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,762
I don't know if this was mentioned before but when I was in the mall today I noticed Danier has their store closing sale on.
If we count that and Tommy moving to Mapleton Centre, that's 5 vacancies (International/Tommy, Danier, The Gap, next to mrs. fields & next to Spencers)
If you add in that Steele Auto booth not really being a full time thing, that's quite a few vacancies.

Was also in Stokholm today and the guy there told me their PEI store closed so they got stuck with their inventory so although you're having an inventory clearout they are not closing. The guy also told me that international closed and that Tommy is moving because they are building a restaurant there. This could be the Baton Rouge that has been rumoured.
__________________
We The People

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Apr 16, 2016 at 9:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3573  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 9:08 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,297


It seems that the Tommy Hilfiger/International Clothiers space is definitely being consolidated for a sit down restaurant. This fact is no longer debatable.

The only question is "which restaurant chain will it be?"

Baton Rouge has not been confirmed.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3574  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 10:18 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post


It seems that the Tommy Hilfiger/International Clothiers space is definitely being consolidated for a sit down restaurant. This fact is no longer debatable.

The only question is "which restaurant chain will it be?"

Baton Rouge has not been confirmed.
If a restaurant is going to be there I wonder if HMV is going to have to move, or will it stay in place. Also like to point out the Bell booth that was in the Entrance/Exit 9 Corridor is gone. The Bell Aliant store on the other hand will stay operational.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3575  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 11:12 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
If a restaurant is going to be there I wonder if HMV is going to have to move, or will it stay in place. Also like to point out the Bell booth that was in the Entrance/Exit 9 Corridor is gone. The Bell Aliant store on the other hand will stay operational.
I've been wondering that myself. Baton Rouge are generally between 7,000 sq/ft & 9000 sq/ft.
Tommy is listed at 6837 sq/ft. International was 1440 sq/ft and HMV is 3080 sw/ft. All three combined would be too big for an Baton Rouge. Perhaps the could have room for 1000 sq/ft store on the corner going over to HMV but I think you'll see the whole space become Baton Rouge (I'm going with this since it's the only name we've heard.)
__________________
We The People
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3576  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 3:03 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,297


I imagine HMV is safe. The combined floorspace of Tommy and the old International Clothiers location is enough for a restaurant by itself, as you have pointed out.



One of the attractions of this spot for a restaurant is that it will allow for an outside entry next to the main entrance to the mall (and right next to the bus stop too). An outside entrance would allow a restaurant to operate outside of mall hours.

It's important to remember another of the rumours floating around that Starbuck's may relocate from their current kiosk location at the mall to the Champlain Dental Clinic space once they quit the mall later this year. This would put a sit down restaurant at one side of the main entrance, and Starbuck's at the other side (again presumably with an outside entrance and right next to the bus stop). Good planning I would think.....
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3577  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 3:09 AM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,762

That's a fantastic idea. Especially Starbucks! They'll make a fortune on people waiting to catch the bus!
__________________
We The People
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3578  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 10:53 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post


I imagine HMV is safe. The combined floorspace of Tommy and the old International Clothiers location is enough for a restaurant by itself, as you have pointed out.



One of the attractions of this spot for a restaurant is that it will allow for an outside entry next to the main entrance to the mall (and right next to the bus stop too). An outside entrance would allow a restaurant to operate outside of mall hours.

It's important to remember another of the rumours floating around that Starbuck's may relocate from their current kiosk location at the mall to the Champlain Dental Clinic space once they quit the mall later this year. This would put a sit down restaurant at one side of the main entrance, and Starbuck's at the other side (again presumably with an outside entrance and right next to the bus stop). Good planning I would think.....
Looking at the floor plan they may take out the majority of the hallway behind International, and following the right side of HMV leaving only the straight portion from HMV to the exterior door. Possibly turning the double door entry into Tommy Hilfiger's back room as the "Restaurants outside entrance. I will say on a personal note I still miss Don Cherry's Sports grill it seems to have changed as soon as they moved to the building 200 Champlain Street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3579  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 9:17 PM
micks5477's Avatar
micks5477 micks5477 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 371
Le Chateau to close 40 stores over next couple of years. I wonder if Champlain Mall location will be one of the locations closing.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/business/le...-by-2019-focus-on-online-sales-1.2863815
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3580  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 1:30 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,297


This quote is from the above article:

Quote:
After closing 11 stores last year, there are 211 Le Chateau locations left in Canada and four in the Middle East. It plans to close 14 locations in 2016.

By early 2019, Le Chateau expects to shrink its retail network to 171 stores, the smallest since 2007 and a 30 per cent reduction since it began closing stores in 2012.

The chain said most of the additional closures will be in fashion big box and discount outlet stores.
If we take the last line in the quotation at face value, that would tend to imply that the Champlain Place store will be relatively safe.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:15 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.