HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3541  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 2:47 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
It's not just the overpass and the onramp that will need to be fixed - If these developments are indeed happening, the entirety of Harrisville up to Shediac Rd will at least need to be made 4 lanes (and possibly even up to the TCH at some point, though probably not right now). Harrisville will effectively need the Mapleton Rd treatment.
Indeed. I just hope it doesn't take as long to do the "full treatment" as it did for Mapleton Road. That was just a bunch of half assed measures over the course of five years until it was finally completed......
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3542  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 3:14 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,765
I work at Trinity Superstore and the talk around here (with Costco being on of our main competitors, being right next door) is that the Harrisville store will be a second store.
I think it would over saturate the market if they did this.
Just anther bit of speculation from myself, if they were to do this, could Walmart move there as well, and then build s smaller Sussex size store in Riverview.
__________________
We The People
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3543  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 3:31 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I work at Trinity Superstore and the talk around here (with Costco being on of our main competitors, being right next door) is that the Harrisville store will be a second store.
Two Costco's in a CMA of 150,000 would be hard to imagine, but I suppose it would all be how they define our market area. If they include all of eastern NB, PEI and Cumberland County NS, then I suppose it might be possible. The current Costco is a zoo 100% of the time.

I imagine it will be a replacement store however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Just anther bit of speculation from myself, if they were to do this, could Walmart move there as well, and then build s smaller Sussex size store in Riverview.
Do you mean a third Walmart on Harrisville in addition to the ones on Plaza Blvd and in Champlain Place? I can't imagine that. I also doubt we will ever see a Walmart in Riverview either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Josh, since you work at the Trinity Superstore, what do you think the departure of Costco would mean to the Wheeler Park Power Centre?

There are a few vacancies now in the wing to the south of the Cineplex. The development dodged a bullet with the Brick taking over the Sears Home store. Costco relocating however is a big hit for the remainder of the development.

What do you think will happen? I can't imagine anyone taking over that building. I'm sure it would have to be demolished and replaced with a new retail strip plaza. Any new building however would be difficult to fill with all the new retail momentum over on Harrisville.

This move by Costco will have ramifications all up and down Mapleton Road........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3544  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 3:37 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
I don't see a second location in Moncton, as I've said before. If Costco wanted a second location in that region, I'd bet it would go on PEI first.

As for when the current store moves, I would almost hope they tear down the existing store instead of trying to divide it or otherwise renovate it. That would give a new footprint for another store; maybe Kent will shift over so more classic retail can move into the current Kent space or something.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3545  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 5:35 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,765
Loosing Costco means 1 thing. Less traffic. This is both good and bad, as it it as nightmare to get in and out of here. But it would also not draw as many people to the area.

The reason I suggested a new Walmart on Harrisville, would be that it would be right next to their biggest competitor and it would allow them to reinstate some of the amenities lost during the conversion to a super centre (namely tire and lube) it would also be a newer store. As for the Riverview store, I figure if Walmart decamped the mall, a Riverview store would be closer to people in the middle of the city that would rather not drive up the oft busy, mountain road. The other location I thought of was on Main Street where Nissan is after it relocates. It would be close to the proposed Sobeys Extra store and could service the downtown and Riverview.

Not hard to tell I love urban planning, always coming up with these crazy scenerioes.
__________________
We The People
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3546  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 7:08 PM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Loosing Costco means 1 thing. Less traffic. This is both good and bad, as it it as nightmare to get in and out of here. But it would also not draw as many people to the area.

The reason I suggested a new Walmart on Harrisville, would be that it would be right next to their biggest competitor and it would allow them to reinstate some of the amenities lost during the conversion to a super centre (namely tire and lube) it would also be a newer store. As for the Riverview store, I figure if Walmart decamped the mall, a Riverview store would be closer to people in the middle of the city that would rather not drive up the oft busy, mountain road. The other location I thought of was on Main Street where Nissan is after it relocates. It would be close to the proposed Sobeys Extra store and could service the downtown and Riverview.

Not hard to tell I love urban planning, always coming up with these crazy scenerioes.
The perfect scenario for the mall would be IF Wal Mart leaves the mall it would leave the room for the Bay or another retailer that is similar sized and If Sobeys were to decamp the mall it would change the dynamic of the mall to a true fashion mall. I personally think that the mall is in need of a major shakeup when it comes to stores that they have. There are some locations in the mall that have remained empty for more than a year and I wish that Cadillac Fairview would fill those empty spots. I was in Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago and there are a bunch of stuff that I have seen down there that could fit in Moncton.

But with the possible prospects that Costco might be decamping the Trinity area could mean a huge change in Dynamics for the area and could lead to more empty storefronts.

On another note whats going on the spot next to CAA at Mapleton Center?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3547  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 12:26 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,318
Superstore Mall Giant Tiger all set to go:



Does anyone know if anything is going in that last vacant CRU to the left of Giant Tiger? It will be the last vacant spot in the Superstore mall.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3548  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 3:21 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Superstore Mall Giant Tiger all set to go:



Does anyone know if anything is going in that last vacant CRU to the left of Giant Tiger? It will be the last vacant spot in the Superstore mall.
I think it's great that there is a second Giant Tiger in Moncton, and all but found the store underwhelming since it seems it's only a tad bigger has the same amount of stock, and a little more room in the alleys to get around. It might just be because I've been to other provinces where the Giant Tiger stores either expanded into empty space, or just moved to a new store, and carry more stock then the ones in Moncton it seems.

As for the vacant Unit I think there is a sign for lease in the window or it might be a sign to say what is moving in I din't have a good look I went to the GT only....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3549  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 3:53 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I don't see a second location in Moncton, as I've said before. If Costco wanted a second location in that region, I'd bet it would go on PEI first.
Personally, I don't see Costco expanding to PEI.

There are fewer people in PEI than in metro Moncton, and the market area for a Charlottetown Costco store would be limited to PEI alone. No mainlander would drive across the bridge (and pay nearly $50 in tolls) to go specifically to a PEI Costco store. Also, in PEI, there is an unfortunate parochialism that would prevent people (especially from western Prince County) to consider routinely frequenting Charlottetown retailing establishments. I know - I grew up in Charlottetown but most of my relatives were from west Prince County, and they only ventured to the "big city" (a distance of about 100 km) about twice a year. They only went to Summerside about once a month.

As such, I would suggest the market size for Charlottetown to be no more than 80-90,000 people - probably not enough for a Costco store.

On the other hand, the Moncton CMA alone is 150,000, and the primary market area (within a 90 minute drive) is 420,000. While I still think a second Costco in Moncton is unlikely, I think a second store in Moncton would be be more probable than a store on PEI.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3550  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 8:14 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Re: Costco moving...kinda disappointed they didn't get the day and ross lot...a dilapidated warehouse doesn't belong there anyway and Costco would have done wonders to continue development in that area which has momentum already with hotels and cabelas, Princess auto etc. On Harrisville they will have lots of space but the road infrastructure 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 there and there is 1 hotel and a Kent...will serve to further split development in the metro area. Would hate to see Mapleton/trinity area hallowed out after it has done so well in the last decade...Maybe I put too much stock in the value of Costco but it seems like the epicenter of the whole retail area there. I'm sure it will balance out in time as we continue to grow...just scary at this moment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3551  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 10:55 PM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Re: Costco moving...kinda disappointed they didn't get the day and ross lot...a dilapidated warehouse doesn't belong there anyway and Costco would have done wonders to continue development in that area which has momentum already with hotels and cabelas, Princess auto etc. On Harrisville they will have lots of space but the road infrastructure 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 there and there is 1 hotel and a Kent...will serve to further split development in the metro area. Would hate to see Mapleton/trinity area hallowed out after it has done so well in the last decade...Maybe I put too much stock in the value of Costco but it seems like the epicenter of the whole retail area there. I'm sure it will balance out in time as we continue to grow...just scary at this moment.
I agree with that statement. I think that Costco is an epicenter for major developments and i think that IF they move from Trinity drive to harrisville it could change the dynamic of that area of Dieppe thats gaining momentum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3552  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 1:57 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,318
If the Costco rumour is true (and it sounds like it might be, with several sources stating such), I wonder if the location on Harrisville Blvd would be this one, outlined in red on the NE corner of the Harrisville/Veteran's Highway interchange:



This lot currently has a for sale sign on it, and the sign states that it contains 10 acres of land ready for development. This lot would certainly have tremendous visibility from Highway 11/15, and I'm sure this is one thing Costco would demand. They will also have to demand expedited improvements to the interchange as well, in particular the widening of the overpass to four lanes (plus a turning lane).

BTW - the box outlined in green is where my son saw surveyors out last week, taking measurements. There was talk in the past about this lot being destined for a gas station/convenience store/coffee shop (or restaurant) combo. If the rumour is out there in the development community that Costco is moving in, this lot will have suddenly become very valuable.........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 12, 2016 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3553  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:30 AM
micks5477's Avatar
micks5477 micks5477 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 371
On the Fit4Less website they say there is going to be a second Moncton location. Any idea where this might be?

https://www.fit4less.ca/locations/coming-soon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3554  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 10:20 AM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
On the Fit4Less website they say there is going to be a second Moncton location. Any idea where this might be?

https://www.fit4less.ca/locations/coming-soon
I've heard that there was possibly to be a second location but no official location has been decided yet. But I'm wondering if it will not be up Mountain Road with so many locations either already vacated, or soon to be vacated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3555  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 1:17 PM
Charlie_Brown Charlie_Brown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Long time lurker, first time post...
When I was shopping at Tommy Hilfiger, I overheard the staff talking to other customers that the store would be moving to Mapleton Power Center by Banana Republic at end of July. The new store will be bigger.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3556  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 1:32 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Brown View Post
Long time lurker, first time post...
When I was shopping at Tommy Hilfiger, I overheard the staff talking to other customers that the store would be moving to Mapleton Power Center by Banana Republic at end of July. The new store will be bigger.
Welcome to the forums!

Interesting.

They are doing interior renovations to the empty CRU in the building containing the CAA office in the Mapleton Centre. That's right next to Banana Republic. Maybe that is what's going to happen.......
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3557  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 3:58 PM
HanSoloCup's Avatar
HanSoloCup HanSoloCup is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Brown View Post
Long time lurker, first time post...
When I was shopping at Tommy Hilfiger, I overheard the staff talking to other customers that the store would be moving to Mapleton Power Center by Banana Republic at end of July. The new store will be bigger.
It will be next door to CAA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3558  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:23 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,318


This info brings us back to a post several months ago (I'm not sure if it was you or not), which first mentioned that Tommy Hilfiger was decamping the mall. That post suggested that Baton Rouge was going to move into the former Tommy Hilfiger location at CF Champlain, and that Globo Shoes was going to occupy (at least a portion) of the old Gap space.

We now seem to have confirmation that Tommy is leaving Champlain, and the adjacent International Clothiers location is now also vacant. Does this mean that the Baton Rouge rumour is true? Several posters on the forum have denied this, but usually when contiguous spaces become vacant at the mall, that means that the space is being consolidated for a new (larger) retailer or business. Something may be afoot here.........

Also, FWIW, several weeks ago I was shopping at Eddie Bauer and I asked the salesperson serving me what was going to happen to the Gap space. He said he wasn't sure, but that he heard that it might be a shoe store. This rumour was weak enough that I didn't bather posting it before, but with everything else going on, I wonder if this points to Globo Shoes moving in.......

In any event, we seem to be at a tipping point for Champlain Place. With the slate of current (and anticipated) vacancies in the mall, they are either getting set to retool the mall for the future, or the mall is starting to get into serious trouble attracting higher quality retailers. I hope it is the former and not the latter........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3559  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 8:07 PM
stephan.richard's Avatar
stephan.richard stephan.richard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Antoine
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post


This info brings us back to a post several months ago (I'm not sure if it was you or not), which first mentioned that Tommy Hilfiger was decamping the mall. That post suggested that Baton Rouge was going to move into the former Tommy Hilfiger location at CF Champlain, and that Globo Shoes was going to occupy (at least a portion) of the old Gap space.

We now seem to have confirmation that Tommy is leaving Champlain, and the adjacent International Clothiers location is now also vacant. Does this mean that the Baton Rouge rumour is true? Several posters on the forum have denied this, but usually when contiguous spaces become vacant at the mall, that means that the space is being consolidated for a new (larger) retailer or business. Something may be afoot here.........

Also, FWIW, several weeks ago I was shopping at Eddie Bauer and I asked the salesperson serving me what was going to happen to the Gap space. He said he wasn't sure, but that he heard that it might be a shoe store. This rumour was weak enough that I didn't bather posting it before, but with everything else going on, I wonder if this points to Globo Shoes moving in.......

In any event, we seem to be at a tipping point for Champlain Place. With the slate of current (and anticipated) vacancies in the mall, they are either getting set to retool the mall for the future, or the mall is starting to get into serious trouble attracting higher quality retailers. I hope it is the former and not the latter........

But I am starting ti think personally on some aspect that the mall is seriously starting to fall behind the competition. The failure to attract quality retailers and to fill empty spaces. There are some spots that have been empty for well over a couple years and some of the retailers are not even quality ones to fashion mall standards. I think if the mall wants to attract more retailers that they need to lower the rent and be more aggressive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3560  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 8:10 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post


This info brings us back to a post several months ago (I'm not sure if it was you or not), which first mentioned that Tommy Hilfiger was decamping the mall. That post suggested that Baton Rouge was going to move into the former Tommy Hilfiger location at CF Champlain, and that Globo Shoes was going to occupy (at least a portion) of the old Gap space.

We now seem to have confirmation that Tommy is leaving Champlain, and the adjacent International Clothiers location is now also vacant. Does this mean that the Baton Rouge rumour is true? Several posters on the forum have denied this, but usually when contiguous spaces become vacant at the mall, that means that the space is being consolidated for a new (larger) retailer or business. Something may be afoot here.........

Also, FWIW, several weeks ago I was shopping at Eddie Bauer and I asked the salesperson serving me what was going to happen to the Gap space. He said he wasn't sure, but that he heard that it might be a shoe store. This rumour was weak enough that I didn't bather posting it before, but with everything else going on, I wonder if this points to Globo Shoes moving in.......

In any event, we seem to be at a tipping point for Champlain Place. With the slate of current (and anticipated) vacancies in the mall, they are either getting set to retool the mall for the future, or the mall is starting to get into serious trouble attracting higher quality retailers. I hope it is the former and not the latter........
I actually talked to the Mall manager today, and I did tell him that it looks like the mall is falling into trouble he said No but there are big plans to revamp. He's not lied to me Since I use to work both in the Mall, and at Crystal Palace way back when. So I don't think he would start now. Another staff told me afterwards that since CP moved out he's only ever seen out, and about when either A) People have made complaints about the cleanliness of the halls, and food court, or B) potential tenants are looking at new space. Also was told of potentially 3 new tenants so I'm wondering if the Gap, and gap kids are going to be divided in 2, and another tenant taking over TH, and IC together. Also there was a rumor that the shop next to Rogers was to be vacated to allow for a full fledged store of some sort but nobody heard who. Someone did tell me they over heard that it was not a store we had seen in Atlantic Canada before. So I'm wondering who might be interested in expanding here without getting my hopes up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.