Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1984
I really dont get what you people want(ed). WAHN WAHN WAHN is what I see from a good number of ppl on here. I, in fact, love going to Landsdown and so do my friends. Maybe it's a demographics thing (we're 25-35), but with Goodlife, Local, Joey's and VIP Cinemas all there, it is an attractive destination for me. Plus, the lawn will be great this summer for frisbee, soccer, etc. I've never had problems parking, but I much prefer biking or Uber-ing there! It will get even better with time, but it is a far superior space than what existed before. I dont expect people from Kanata, Farrhaven or Orleans to make regular trips there, and I dont really want them to! This is an urban space that is doing just fine for people who live nearby and within a 15-20 minute distance.
|
It's not generational: I'm turning 25 in June and I don't like Lansdowne as it is. It's because there isn't much of an urban experience to be had, the businesses are rather typical big box chains, and there are too many cars and otherwise there's not a whole lots else to do. The best feature is a grocery store at this end of the Glebe and a movie theatre (which is the only major movie theatre downtown).
The only time I've visited is during the summer (it's seriously inconvenient to go to the Glebe from Hintonburg without a car) and I haven't found it to be as lively as one would hope it to be. There are too many cars, the streets and plaza were designed with cars in mind instead of what's inviting to people. There's an oddly strong wind blowing through that causes a loud whistling sound as it whips around buildings and trees, and the businesses aren't interesting. There are better and more interesting restaurants and stores elsewhere in the city where I'd rather hangout with friends. The buildings aren't the best either, save for the condos.
I think people are disappointed because the sort of area Lansdowne was advertised as and represented in various graphics was an overly ambitious and ideal version of an urban space Lansdowne could become but ultimately didn't. Ottawa tends to fail on urbanism and architecture, and while this development is better than the windswept parking lot it used to be, it doesn't make me crave revisiting.
Also, the City dropped the ball on making it more accessible. They could have made it easier to access by bike (Bank Street) and invested in public transit to get people there. They also wasted money on a new parking garage that is rarely at capacity that could easily have replaced street-side parking with a segregated bike lane.
I'm unfamiliar with the legal and design limitations of working with the site, but I think the urban design and architecture could have been made more inspiring. Ottawa may be lacking in good city life, but there are definitely other places that are easier to get to that are much more interesting to visit than Lansdowne. It had amazing potential - like what I hope with Chaudiere Islands - but that was squandered by an uninspiring design.