HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5661  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 1:12 AM
Highrise_Mike's Avatar
Highrise_Mike Highrise_Mike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoJo, UT
Posts: 232
I can agree on the style part, I don't think that we would see something like Phoenix's CCH in SLC because it does have a southwest look to it. The north site is smaller than the footprint of the Phoenix CCH and I could see an L-shape tower working for the site due to the property size constraints. I also really hope stucco is not a primary exterior material for the new CCH. An architectural style similar to the Regent would be cool with the use of a lot of glass and some metal accents.
     
     
  #5662  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 1:38 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
I become more depressed each time I go to Sugar House. Toys R Us... Closed. Now it appears that Fats has been demolished... I assume it's only a matter of time until the building north of Fats goes... How long will it be until the land owners across 2100 south will want to get in on a peice of the upscale pie. Sugar House use to be a unique little area with a lot of classic charm... Now it's just a big corporate upscale development with high priced living and the same 🞵🞵🞵🞵 I can get almost anywhere....

I suppose once the north side of 2100 had been redeveloped, it will be time to focus on the 9th & 9th area. ;-)
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #5663  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 2:01 AM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I become more depressed each time I go to Sugar House. Toys R Us... Closed. Now it appears that Fats has been demolished... I assume it's only a matter of time until the building north of Fats goes... How long will it be until the land owners across 2100 south will want to get in on a peice of the upscale pie. Sugar House use to be a unique little area with a lot of classic charm... Now it's just a big corporate upscale development with high priced living and the same 🞵🞵🞵🞵 I can get almost anywhere....

I suppose once the north side of 2100 had been redeveloped, it will be time to focus on the 9th & 9th area. ;-)
I know what you mean, for that reason I do not go there anymore. To me, it has lost it's charm, beauty and interest, everything that was unique about it is now gone.
__________________
Photos of Downtown SLC & surrounding areas-http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199269&highlight=ctobsl

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com
     
     
  #5664  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 9:52 AM
SLC2GeorgetownU's Avatar
SLC2GeorgetownU SLC2GeorgetownU is offline
SLC or BUST
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 54
Some More Renderings, Just for fun







     
     
  #5665  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 11:51 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
As the hotels migrate closer to the the convention center and the gateway area, the need for the outdated hotels in the area I have outlined in the red square are diminished. I imagine most of this area being filled in with a mixture of medium density residential and commercial development, not unlike the Mission District of San Francisco or Lo Do in Denver. When I look at how under developed this area is, it's really overwhelming. Salt Lake City has so much infill that it can do.

Area of Redevelopment

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Mar 13, 2016 at 11:27 PM.
     
     
  #5666  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 6:27 PM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
Just for fun renderings

Do you have any idea how tall each of those hotel renderings would be SL2georgetown?
     
     
  #5667  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 8:20 PM
Marvland's Avatar
Marvland Marvland is offline
SLC Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fairpark
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
As the hotels migrate closer to the the convention center and the gateway area, the need for the outdated hotels in the area I have outlined in the red square are diminished. I imagine most of this area being filled in with a mixture of medium density residential and commercial development, not unlike the Mission District of San Francisco or Lo Do in Denver. When I look at how under developed this area is its really overwhelming. Salt Lake City has so much infill that
Agreed that on this. You basically circled the Granary/Central 9th/WT Gateway districts. It's already happening with all the new build in Central 9th and the rapidly developing F&B district on the 9th S corridor.
     
     
  #5668  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 11:15 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
I know this goes in the Transportation section, but I did such a good job on this it would be a shame to deprive you all of my transit vision:

My master plan for light rail and streetcar / light rail hybrid lines based loosely on what has already been suggested by UTA and Salt Lake City




All routes would be double tracked. The light blue is rail lanes shared with cars (like a streetcar) at speeds of 25-35 miles per hour; the dark blue is rail in its own dedicated lanes at speeds of 30-40 miles per hour (light rail)


Last edited by s.p.hansen; Mar 14, 2016 at 6:17 AM.
     
     
  #5669  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 11:45 PM
ThePusherMan's Avatar
ThePusherMan ThePusherMan is offline
One Thing At A Time
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 412
I like that these map renderings are how I think about Salt Lake in my head. The mountains are always North in my head not East. South is East so on so forth.
     
     
  #5670  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 3:32 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
As the hotels migrate closer to the the convention center and the gateway area, the need for the outdated hotels in the area I have outlined in the red square are diminished. I imagine most of this area being filled in with a mixture of medium density residential and commercial development, not unlike the Mission District of San Francisco or Lo Do in Denver. When I look at how under developed this area is, it's really overwhelming. Salt Lake City has so much infill that it can do.

Area of Redevelopment
As Marvland Pointed out, that's essentially the Granary and Central 9th neighborhoods. Granary from 300 W to I-15 and Central 9th surrounding the 9th S Trax station. IMO Central 9th is essentially 700 S to the 9th S off ramp, but flows into the Ballpark neighborhood on the other side of the ramp, and Main St to 300 W.

As mentioned Central 9th is already experiencing some pretty cool substantial growth, that started several years ago but has excellerated recently. I think the mix of traditional single family dwellings, mixed with 2-3 story mixed use offerings, and a few taller apartment buildings as well.

The Granary on the other hand, while making some strides with the new Axiom Space, the existing and new Artspace apartments and a new brewery coming online in May, I think it's going to take several years before the energy is felt throughout the district. I think it will take longer for two reasons, one due it's it's massive size and due to it's lack of a transit connection. I anticipate that we will see some decent growth and change of uses in the area, which will initiate the need for transit to expand through the area, which will then see a massive amount of growth.

I predict that the next neighborhood that is going to see substantial growth is the NoTe Distirct, as they are branding North Temple. Besides the development on Redwood, just north of N. Temple not much has occurred west of I-15, but obviously there is demand on the East side, as can be seen with the expansion of Cityfront, W 6th and 644 West N. Temple. I think the proposal on S. Temple next to Red Iguana 2 could be the catalyst to see of residential growth along N. Temple west of I-15.

It's not like this growth is going to finish in one and move to the next. We are going to see continued growth in Central 9th, extending/connecting to Ballpark, some slow growth in Granary, and a massive shift in the NoTe. This doesn't even take into account the explosion in Sugarhouse, the vertical growth in EaDo, growth in the Marmalade, Gateway/Depot and the massive growth in the CBD.

Salt Lake City is in the beginning stages of a massive shift. The Salt Lake City we know today is going to be drastically different in 5 years, and nearly unrecognizable in 10. Including several vibrant neighborhoods, not just downtown, Sugarhouse and 9th and 9th.
     
     
  #5671  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 3:56 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
New subdivision in East Central

     
     
  #5672  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:40 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I've always like those little mid-block streets, I do wish they weren't all dead ends though.

Anytime Garbett wants to build in Salt Lake City, that is fine by me. I like the work they do, and I like that they seem to be able to adapt their product to fit the neighborhoods they are building in. Plus I've always liked their designs.
     
     
  #5673  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 10:10 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865


So this I pretty cool. They should really do something with the Walker Center Parking as well. Sorry. I dont know why this phone posts the pictures that way
     
     
  #5674  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 11:37 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
No big deal. Everything else has been posted sideways today.
     
     
  #5675  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 12:31 AM
Marvland's Avatar
Marvland Marvland is offline
SLC Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fairpark
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
No big deal. Everything else has been posted sideways today.
Heh.
     
     
  #5676  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 1:37 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
That photo of 111 on its side reminding me of this idea I had...

I was thinking it would be cool to make the CCH a 'horizontal skyscraper.' Of course, that would make it not a skyscraper at all, which would annoy a lot of you.

It would be somewhat similar to this project in Norway called 'Fjordporten.'

I imagined it going along the entire front of the Salt Palace down West Temple.

     
     
  #5677  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 1:50 AM
Highrise_Mike's Avatar
Highrise_Mike Highrise_Mike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoJo, UT
Posts: 232
Wow the building behind the horizontal skyscraper looks like a giant half pipe! I will have to say I'm not a fan because it looks bulky and heavy and this one has a very long straight roof line. Interesting concept though.
     
     
  #5678  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 1:56 AM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
This is from jonburkholz of Instagram. Awesome shot that showcases 111 impact on the skyline.


__________________
Instagram | Twitter

www.UtahProjects.info
     
     
  #5679  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:29 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
That photo of 111 on its side reminding me of this idea I had...

I was thinking it would be cool to make the CCH a 'horizontal skyscraper.' Of course, that would make it not a skyscraper at all, which would annoy a lot of you.

Are we calling office park style buildings horizontal skyscrapers? That's so fetch!
     
     
  #5680  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:31 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
I like this vertical skyscraper.

__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:39 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.