HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5581  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 8:45 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
And the fence around Hardware Station. Hopefully they get their building permit soon:
I want to live in those future row houses so bad. I think I may be willing to go to the dark side just to get the money to live there. Maybe get in on a MLM or pyramid scheme.
     
     
  #5582  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 9:52 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
I want to live in those future row houses so bad. I think I may be willing to go to the dark side just to get the money to live there. Maybe get in on a MLM or pyramid scheme.
Geez, if we're going to the dark side, I'm getting a townhouse in Paris, not Salt Lake.
     
     
  #5583  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 10:21 PM
Palladio's Avatar
Palladio Palladio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 56
Back to the Convention Center Hotel for a second.

I'm wondering about our estimates for the height. I threw together a quick massing study to see what a large hotel on the north site might look like given our room requirements (forgive my less than — architecture, but hopefully it is understandable). I'm thinking that this hotel won't be much taller than 35-40 stories.

Here are some quick numbers:
The model below is 36 floors tall, at 12 vertical feet per floor. The bottom 4 floors include meeting rooms for the Convention Center and hotel rooms begin on the 5th floor. To help reduce shadow and the boxiness of it, I setback the tower at the 24th and 32nd floors. The L-shape of the hotel is roughly 20,000 square feet per floor and with a hotel room being roughly 345 square feet, you could fit at least 46 rooms per floor comfortably on a double loaded hallway with plenty of room for elevators, mechanical spaces and sitting spaces.

Accounting for the setbacks, this 36 floor hotel has 1,200 rooms and is 432 feet tall. That would make it our new tallest and definitely above the threshold for conditional use approval, but still significantly below a much more prominent 500 foot tower that some of you guys were talking about. Of course, if the developers decide against an L-shaped tower, that would push the height up quite a bit, and adding condos to the tower would do the same. I'm guessing they'll do an L-shaped hotel based on the proposals the county first put out, and just based on other CCH you see in other cities.

Do you guys think this is too conservative an estimate? This definitely will have an impact on the skyline though. I don't see this tower being any shorter than 350 feet. That would be a squatty L-shaped tower with no setbacks at all and still having 1,200 rooms.






     
     
  #5584  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 11:13 PM
AllOutOfBubbleGum's Avatar
AllOutOfBubbleGum AllOutOfBubbleGum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladio View Post

]
By choosing the North site for the CCH. It will not matter one bit how tall that building is, it will not cast a shadow over the solar panels. I believe that was a big deal in the consideration of who they wanted to choose as the developer.
     
     
  #5585  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 11:23 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Geez, if we're going to the dark side, I'm getting a townhouse in Paris, not Salt Lake.



I'm too Provincial for that. Maybe Montreal though. People there are so damn —.
     
     
  #5586  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 11:26 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladio View Post
Back to the Convention Center Hotel for a second.

I'm wondering about our estimates for the height. I threw together a quick massing study to see what a large hotel on the north site might look like given our room requirements (forgive my less than — architecture, but hopefully it is understandable). I'm thinking that this hotel won't be much taller than 35-40 stories.

Here are some quick numbers:
The model below is 36 floors tall, at 12 vertical feet per floor. The bottom 4 floors include meeting rooms for the Convention Center and hotel rooms begin on the 5th floor. To help reduce shadow and the boxiness of it, I setback the tower at the 24th and 32nd floors. The L-shape of the hotel is roughly 20,000 square feet per floor and with a hotel room being roughly 345 square feet, you could fit at least 46 rooms per floor comfortably on a double loaded hallway with plenty of room for elevators, mechanical spaces and sitting spaces.

Accounting for the setbacks, this 36 floor hotel has 1,200 rooms and is 432 feet tall. That would make it our new tallest and definitely above the threshold for conditional use approval, but still significantly below a much more prominent 500 foot tower that some of you guys were talking about. Of course, if the developers decide against an L-shaped tower, that would push the height up quite a bit, and adding condos to the tower would do the same. I'm guessing they'll do an L-shaped hotel based on the proposals the county first put out, and just based on other CCH you see in other cities.

Do you guys think this is too conservative an estimate? This definitely will have an impact on the skyline though. I don't see this tower being any shorter than 350 feet. That would be a squatty L-shaped tower with no setbacks at all and still having 1,200 rooms.


That seems realistic to me.
     
     
  #5587  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 12:33 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
That seems realistic to me.
More than likely. SLC does not have the cojones for a real skyscraper.
     
     
  #5588  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 12:46 AM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
Cch

Wow, nice work Palladio!
     
     
  #5589  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 12:58 AM
SLC2GeorgetownU's Avatar
SLC2GeorgetownU SLC2GeorgetownU is offline
SLC or BUST
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 54
Here is some renderings i made awhile ago



[IMG]/BwLwlElDm__hd919Dwiypzc8PePBU68ExU29PIz6MO-MxfzoUMGfZ1NK4BlI6CsQn-xJKtkbsk6MlhXM7FOBmXwtuqie3ddH2hclBgcm2BYLzHkEKGnaOypxXvHN-xdnc4b3L4aHzwMRRy1CMSl7va1cD5QYXrl-eAaRQIfVEp4t2QPN-wZlUtI8XTQIKaT5-yhT51-6zL0vhgI3UOmjc4mO-1CF_CIga46R_HKwOGPQRs5XsFEQZJhK12_l0sMLE2cvCrVyPJdjFSFfRplPrSF_k5e3S7kaAOZ5o0XOKrBbynk4_qzwKA1CSgCDJkvurOhJ0SaX3_VokA2xrzNp_bBfNlvQXvqj5xW8gPWL8XmEcdRD80ZKaTxuMZ3l-RZrC0fzF-A0-zzfdIdL8UpgpLxtur7zeVFB9OF5wpvY6-ff2fIOkgnEjID8NcA2IB3iUPKImpEY-_JhEq2eTe9GY0ToQ8FfXWdhwCjoMBIIxgvMvHB92Yc1SdMT4Kj_XbJenOpHxij6q3dx3f_THqq6V28XFKd7vXf4P2IDhZJNW-yXSmuQkSZqb4bETFyieBaD2Mj_=w2048-h1051-no[/IMG][/IMG]












     
     
  #5590  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 1:14 AM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
I need a visual

Could someone drop in the Pheonix Sheraton into the north site so we can see what a worse case senerio would look like?

Thanks
     
     
  #5591  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 1:20 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC2GeorgetownU View Post
That looks like you put Tour Montparnasse right in the middle of SLC.

     
     
  #5592  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 3:38 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Thanks for the photo update Airhero! I was just wondering about Liberty Crest.
     
     
  #5593  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 6:47 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
More than likely. SLC does not have the cojones for a real skyscraper.
Yeah, it's not as tall as we'd like it to be but I really like Palladio's design. A lot of these hotels are long walls, I like the massing broken up like that.
     
     
  #5594  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:34 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Yeah, it's not as tall as we'd like it to be but I really like Palladio's design. A lot of these hotels are long walls, I like the massing broken up like that.
For that location I think it's the perfect height. Not too much taller than the other buildings at the edge of the CBD. Any taller and it would lopside the skyline like the COB does. The south site would be much better for anything over 500'.
     
     
  #5595  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 9:38 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
DDRM, the company that won the bid for the convention hotel, isn't a fly by night company; they seem to make good choices and they seem to do a good job. I've been looking at their portfolio.

These are their newer big projects where they picked the architects and built the projects from scratch.

St. Regis Park City - IBI Group

Sentierre Padre Canyon - Allen Philp Architects

They got started redeveloping properties and even more impressively, in the case of the Hilton in Anaheim, they bought the project in the early stages of construction where the previous developer failed and couldn't get any more money lent. And they completed it, a 1,578 room project, in 1984 and sold it for a very large profit in 2007.

This company seems smaller but very tactical and very good at what they do, especially when it comes to dealing with money and making a profit. I think they're going to be able to pull this off.
     
     
  #5596  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:22 PM
Marvland's Avatar
Marvland Marvland is offline
SLC Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fairpark
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
DDRM, the company that won the bid for the convention hotel, isn't a fly by night company; they seem to make good choices and they seem to do a good job. I've been looking at their portfolio.

These are their newer big projects where they picked the architects and built the projects from scratch.

St. Regis Park City - IBI Group

Sentierre Padre Canyon - Allen Philp Architects

They got started redeveloping properties and even more impressively, in the case of the Hilton in Anaheim, they bought the project in the early stages of construction where the previous developer failed and couldn't get any more money lent. And they completed it, a 1,578 room project, in 1984 and sold it for a very large profit in 2007.

This company seems smaller but very tactical and very good at what they do, especially when it comes to dealing with money and making a profit. I think they're going to be able to pull this off.
Agreed. We should all be very happy they won. St. Regis is an absolute gem. They will kill this.

Also I've heard a lot of — talk on the Air/Void center. Remember kids, they own the best infill parcel in the city. Something rad will go there. I have no doubt of that. If they have finance issues (not saying they do) they can simply deed it into a JV with a seasoned developer. This is the big city model and it's here. You don't sell parcels any more.
     
     
  #5597  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 9:15 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
More than likely. SLC does not have the cojones for a real skyscraper.
I'd consider a "real skyscraper" being over 700' in height. So I guess most cites don't have cojones for such buildings.
     
     
  #5598  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 9:36 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Photo update on the 4th West Apartments. This area is exploding, I just heard about another project planned for 300-400 North on 500 West, it is by the same team that developed North Sixth.
     
     
  #5599  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 9:37 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
I want to live in those future row houses so bad. I think I may be willing to go to the dark side just to get the money to live there. Maybe get in on a MLM or pyramid scheme.
They applied for a building permit last week for one of the residential buildings.
     
     
  #5600  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 10:32 PM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 810
I think the cch will improve the skyline from the south more than any other vantage point. It will widen the city from the south and make it appear bigger than just what is on Main St.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:40 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.