HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5501  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:03 AM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
Considering that the COB started in 1962 and the absolute earliest use of 420 according to HuffPo is 1971, I'm gonna guess no, it's just a lucky happenstance. But a nice try nonetheless.
That moment when people are laughing at a joke and that one person has to kill it with facts.
     
     
  #5502  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:05 AM
jtrent77 jtrent77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
That moment when people are laughing at a joke and that one person has to kill it with facts.
yeah gotta hate facts when they get in the way of things
     
     
  #5503  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:06 AM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
Life is good. I dont hate things period. I actually thought it was funny that facts where pointed out. I should have put "lol," ot something at the end so it didnt seem hostile. It just sounded like something I could have made a Meme about.
     
     
  #5504  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 4:30 AM
Highrise_Mike's Avatar
Highrise_Mike Highrise_Mike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoJo, UT
Posts: 232
I threw the LA Ritz into Google Earth to see what kind of impact a tower like that would have on the skyline. It looks pretty tall compared to our existing buildings! I have my doubts with the CCH being that tall but something in the 500' range would still have a big impact on the skyline.





     
     
  #5505  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 7:03 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 572
I like that size of a tower in the rendering. Is it too much? I don't think so. SLC needs two to three "Skyscrapers" like that for balance. You have to start someplace. Time for SLC to have its first genuine "Scraper" and grow up a bit.

Doubt the powers that be will allow it though. They will want a stubby compound that does not exceed the height of the other buildings.

The Wells Fargo would have been perfect at that height. It looks as though It's growth was prematurely stunted.
Just talking aesthetics, and not demand.

Last edited by Ironweed; Mar 2, 2016 at 7:14 AM.
     
     
  #5506  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 7:26 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highrise_Mike View Post
I threw the LA Ritz into Google Earth to see what kind of impact a tower like that would have on the skyline. It looks pretty tall compared to our existing buildings! I have my doubts with the CCH being that tall but something in the 500' range would still have a big impact on the skyline.


Oh my lanta! That would be even more of a skyline scale adjustment than when the Church Office Building was first built. Look how baby sized the Grand America is compared to it. It would probably take us 3 decades just to grow enough taller buildings to even out the skyline again... Worth it!

     
     
  #5507  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:14 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
That's massive, but it looks nearly twice as tall as 99 West. 377' vs 655'. While I don't think we'll get something quite that tall, I do hope/expect something around 500'

While I know downtown slopes pretty drastically, I never really pay attention until I see pictures like the one directly above this post, of when the COB was first built.

A hotel that size would be massive and it does stick out in our current skyline, I don't think however, that it will be more than 10 years before we get another building over 500'. I estimate that the next office building, after 151, could very easily surpass 500', IMO there is one prime location, Carl's Jr, and a couple of good locations, NE Corner 4th and State, Harmons, Zephyr.

The 4th ans State location would balance it out pretty nicely with height on the NW and SE corners of the CBD, Harmons would balance it out east to west, Carl's Jr would put a taller building a little closer to the existing mass of highrises, and Zephyr would continue to shift the height out of balance to the west.
     
     
  #5508  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:16 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I didn't realize 111 was going to be as tall as it is. According to Wikipedia it will be the 3rd tallest building in SLC at 380', surpassing 99 West by 5'. Does that sound right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Salt_Lake_City
     
     
  #5509  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:17 PM
brankrom's Avatar
brankrom brankrom is offline
Transit Advocate
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Liberty Wells-- SLC
Posts: 292
The thing that gets me about those google earth renderings with the Ritz is just how effing huge our blocks are... makes the Ritz look tiny.
     
     
  #5510  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:33 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I didn't realize 111 was going to be as tall as it is. According to Wikipedia it will be the 3rd tallest building in SLC at 380', surpassing 99 West by 5'. Does that sound right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Salt_Lake_City
387. Third tallest. Yep.
     
     
  #5511  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:49 PM
HandsomeJohn HandsomeJohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Exciting stuff happening. Hopefully all the development on 400 west will cause quality development and infill to occur on the ugly block just to the east and south of the high school.

Kinda feel bad for Jetset John. We could scale down to a taco cart if you want Mr. J.

By the way, don't ever give up on your dreams no matter what. If you need capital for a deal. You know where to find me.
No hard feelings, I'll keep you in mind when I have another project ready. Maybe I'll look into the Arrow Press Property.
     
     
  #5512  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:54 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
The photo on the bottom is intriguing.
Where is it shot from?
What are the two white buildings in the lower center?, and what's up with the smokestack looking things on the right?
I think this pic might have used that space and distance bending zoom lens or something.
The angle is almost like from Westminster, but that doesn't look like any of the parking there.
Anyone?
     
     
  #5513  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 4:31 PM
HandsomeJohn HandsomeJohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Sorry about the loss Handsome John. Any interest in sharing with us what could have been?
So the RFP didn't require any actual renderings, but we had played with the space requirements and came up with a few very crude shapes to fit everything in. It passes 1 Million sf for 1000 keys. On the South site this gave three underground levels, four above ground covering the entire space and a tower. With tall and thin in mind we were definitely over 600'. Floor by floor it looked like this



Red numbered floors contain rooms and common space. The Restaurant is at 370' (ish)

The Building at 200 Meters or 656' could look like this



This was just a shape we made to illustrate the amount of space that 1000 rooms and everything else would occupy. It is 125' by 125' at the base of the tower portion.

If DDRM is honestly going to put in 1200 keys and around 400 condos, it will physically occupy more space than this, so it will either need to be "fatter and shorter" or equally tall.
     
     
  #5514  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 5:23 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
The photo on the bottom is intriguing.
Where is it shot from?
What are the two white buildings in the lower center?, and what's up with the smokestack looking things on the right?
I think this pic might have used that space and distance bending zoom lens or something.
The angle is almost like from Westminster, but that doesn't look like any of the parking there.
Anyone?
That picture appears to be taken from south east of Brighton High School, Brighton is the building in the foreground. As for the smoke stacks, I'm not sure what or where those were, they aren't the Murray Stacks, and I'm still trying to place the white buildings.
     
     
  #5515  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:15 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

A hotel that size would be massive and it does stick out in our current skyline, I don't think however, that it will be more than 10 years before we get another building over 500'. I estimate that the next office building, after 151, could very easily surpass 500', IMO there is one prime location, Carl's Jr, and a couple of good locations, NE Corner 4th and State, Harmons, Zephyr.
I've grown to really love the Federal Courthouse in SLC; the only thing that really bugs me is that the scale seems really off for the buildings next to it. A 600'+ building directly across the street from it on the location of the former Hotel Newhouse would do wonders for the Federal Courthouse and it would counterbalance the new convention center hotel if it does, in fact, exceed 500'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highrise_Mike View Post
     
     
  #5516  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:26 PM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
That picture appears to be taken from south east of Brighton High School, Brighton is the building in the foreground. As for the smoke stacks, I'm not sure what or where those were, they aren't the Murray Stacks, and I'm still trying to place the white buildings.
I believe the white building above Brighton High in the lower part of the photo is Saint Marks Hospital and the smoke stacks is where the Brick yard plaza is located. Anthony
__________________
Photos of Downtown SLC & surrounding areas-http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199269&highlight=ctobsl

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com
     
     
  #5517  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:29 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeJohn View Post
If DDRM is honestly going to put in 1200 keys and around 400 condos, it will physically occupy more space than this, so it will either need to be "fatter and shorter" or equally tall.
My fear with the project being on the north site, is that it will bury Abravanel Hall.
     
     
  #5518  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:35 PM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
My fear with the project being on the north site, is that it will bury Abravanel Hall.
I still believe they should use both the South and North sites and build to towers that are thin and tall (40 to 45 and a 20 to 30), the taller of the two on the South side.
__________________
Photos of Downtown SLC & surrounding areas-http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199269&highlight=ctobsl

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com
     
     
  #5519  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:40 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
I still believe they should use both the South and North sites and build to towers that are thin and tall (40 to 45 and a 20 to 30), the taller of the two on the South side.
Eww, I'm picturing like two twin columns that look like giant classical themed buildings.
     
     
  #5520  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:49 PM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeJohn View Post
So the RFP didn't require any actual renderings, but we had played with the space requirements and came up with a few very crude shapes to fit everything in. It passes 1 Million sf for 1000 keys. On the South site this gave three underground levels, four above ground covering the entire space and a tower. With tall and thin in mind we were definitely over 600'. Floor by floor it looked like this


Red numbered floors contain rooms and common space. The Restaurant is at 370' (ish)

The Building at 200 Meters or 656' could look like this



This was just a shape we made to illustrate the amount of space that 1000 rooms and everything else would occupy. It is 125' by 125' at the base of the tower portion.

If DDRM is honestly going to put in 1200 keys and around 400 condos, it will physically occupy more space than this, so it will either need to be "fatter and shorter" or equally tall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeJohn View Post
No hard feelings, I'll keep you in mind when I have another project ready. Maybe I'll look into the Arrow Press Property.

Do it!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.