Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago
They're only out of place because so many have been lost. This is like reverse nimbyism. A convenient denial of what the neighborhood was in the not so distant past. If anything it highlights just how important it is to save the few remaing. Frankly I don't understand the appeal of living (and paying a premium) in the parking podium beige precast hellscape that this neighborhood has become. The buildings being demolished for these abortions are the last remaining pieces of human scaled charm left
|
I live in River North two blocks west of that little church on Huron. I live in a circa 1890 vintage building, intentionally, on a block that's almost entirely vintage (for now). I don't want to live in most of the modern buildings, partly because I'm too cheap, partly because I like the scale of the vintage places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc
I always thought that the owners should be forced to shovel the f---n walks, if you can't do that little bit then get out.
|
They can be fined, and if the alderman gets enough complaints they often are fined or cajoled into doing the right thing, But it doesn't happen without people complaining first.