Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland
Sort of sad to see the old Ginza and Vosens buildings go. The building in between, which was falling apart for decades, was the old Leprechaun Club, which was a legandary 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 punk bar. Old SLC.
|
I feel like the majority of my posts on this site are lamenting the demolition of architectural history throughout SLC. Consequently I didn't include it in the last post about this development because I wanted to mix it up a little, but since a few others have expressed it, I'm going to agree with them and say how disappointed I am to loose these buildings too. Are they fantastic? No? But considering how many historic buildings are continually demolished around downtown, I think that it is a shame and short sighted on the developers part that they were not some how included included in the design.
The last few downtown master plans that I've read, one of the concerns is the lack of historic preservation and the lack of political will by politicians to preserve more buildings. It is important for policy makers to set the precedent for developers. While the city of Salt Lake does preserve buildings and has done decently at this recently (for example, the blocks between the Rio Grande and Central Station and the old police headquarters), I think that they need to step up their game (heres looking at the demolished buildings on Main for the theatre, the Salt Lake Roasting Company, and multiple other buildings around downtown that have been demolished in the year last year, including the Arrowhead Press Building, the Redman Building, the building where the DA office was supposed to go, the theatre of State between 200 and 300 S that was supposed be be rebuilt but has stalled). At what point will more importance be given to architectural preservation (and when will emphasis be placed on including those buildings in designs rather than demolishing them) and the more difficult question is how many buildings will be left when a leader finally gets the gumption to change the policy and current direction?