HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5361  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 2:18 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Ugh. Bring back the original concept. It was so much better.

Why does SLC have to keep churning out god-awful buildings?!?
I loved the original design for the DA offices.
     
     
  #5362  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:56 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I loved the original design for the DA offices.
The new DA's office looks like something 1960'ish from the Bringem Young campus. ...
     
     
  #5363  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:49 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Ugh. Bring back the original concept. It was so much better.

Why does SLC have to keep churning out god-awful buildings?!?
What are you talking about? We are the only city that has an official Borg cube replica. 😂
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #5364  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 5:07 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
The original design was unique and bold - but not overwhelmingly bold that it might look out of place in a conservative city like SLC.

Meh.
     
     
  #5365  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 7:33 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
I know SLC Roasting Co bit the dust because of the city and its propensity to tear down things around its city government campus. Are there going to be any more causalities because of this reboot?

The city sure loves to spread its buracracy over as much acreage as possible... Do as I say and not as I do and such.
     
     
  #5366  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:24 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
I know SLC Roasting Co bit the dust because of the city and its propensity to tear down things around its city government campus. Are there going to be any more causalities because of this reboot?

The city sure loves to spread its buracracy over as much acreage as possible... Do as I say and not as I do and such.
This isn't to expand the Civic Campus. Yes the city bought it, but it is being acquired for development. Salt Lake City was definitely interested in the property and owned all the property surrounding it, but it was the owner of Salt Lake Roasting that approached the City this time around to begin negotiations.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Feb 23, 2016 at 4:52 PM.
     
     
  #5367  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:24 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
s.p. hansen, I think you are misinformed or ill informed. The Salt Lake Roasting Company is going to move further east on 400 South. The building and the adjacent former Barnes Bank building are going to "bite the dust" to be replaced with a mixed use structure that will provide much needed downtown workforce housing. This has absolutely nothing to do with "spreading bureaucracy" as you stated. Also, this is a plan that has been discussed greatly in the prior Administration as well as the current Administration. The initial plans that I saw look great and will place retail on 400 South and facing the PSB. Hopefully, this will encourage more activity in that area. Of course these were only preliminary drawings.

I think I will hold my statements related to the DA's Office until I see improved, more detailed renderings. The rendering provided is horrible and there's no site context whatsoever.
     
     
  #5368  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 5:26 PM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
We now know where the AC hotel by PEG Development is going....

235 W 200 S Salt Lake City UT
Parcel Number: 15-01-254-017-0000

Project Description:
AC Hotel and Apartments

Building and site design review for two multi-family buildings in the D-4 zoning district.

https://aca.slcgov.com/Citizen/Cap/CapDe...38&agencyCode=SLCREF&IsToShowInspection=



http://pegdevelopment.com/future-projects/
     
     
  #5369  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 6:05 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
The old Creative/Ferrari Color site. I like that location and I like that it's hotel and apartments, it puts more full time residents in the neighborhood. It will also be a nice piece in helping to connect that corridor. That is the only block along 200 S that doesn't have anything of any value to go to or even look at.

According to the information on Accela, the site is just the Creative Color site, as there is only one parcel listed and it's listed at 1.04 acres.

That northern half of that block is zoned D-4, so it appears that they are going up to the maximum, possibly the conditional use maximum height. It would be nice that when a second large hotel near the Salt Palace is needed if they would rezone the corner parcel to D-1. I think that would make a nice addition to that block.

Overall I think this will be a great project in that location.
     
     
  #5370  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 6:12 PM
JMK JMK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
What are you talking about? We are the only city that has an official Borg cube replica. 😂
Can't forget about LA's federal courthouse

     
     
  #5371  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 8:23 PM
San Diego-Honolulu San Diego-Honolulu is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Can't forget about LA's federal courthouse
I actually like LA's courthouse more than Salt Lakes, but I think it's because the slope on the hill for LA's gives it an interesting look and takes away from the full box feel.

If you ever drive around the Wasatch Front and the Inland Empire, Orange County, or around the LA area, there is a very similar feel. The feel is also similar in style of buildings as well, and the courthouse is another example. I remember a class I took in college, the professor said that the Salt Lake area is simply an extension of the LA area and very similar to the LA market.
     
     
  #5372  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 8:45 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
I actually like LA's courthouse more than Salt Lakes, but I think it's because the slope on the hill for LA's gives it an interesting look and takes away from the full box feel.

If you ever drive around the Wasatch Front and the Inland Empire, Orange County, or around the LA area, there is a very similar feel. The feel is also similar in style of buildings as well, and the courthouse is another example. I remember a class I took in college, the professor said that the Salt Lake area is simply an extension of the LA area and very similar to the LA market.
I like the LA one better, too. Very classy.
     
     
  #5373  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 9:10 PM
GBurrow GBurrow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 28
I was running some errands and noticed that a fence has been put up around the Salt Lake Hardware Building Parking lot. The parking structure for the Alta Gateway complex is complete and the crane is on site to start framing.
     
     
  #5374  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 10:12 PM
airhero airhero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I like the LA one better, too. Very classy.
I dunno, comparing a glorified rendering of one building to the finished product of another isn't the best way to determine a preference. I think LA's building is turning out to look like it belongs in a suburban office park:



Not finished yet though, so it could start looking better.
     
     
  #5375  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 10:22 PM
airhero airhero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
We now know where the AC hotel by PEG Development is going....

235 W 200 S Salt Lake City UT
Parcel Number: 15-01-254-017-0000

Project Description:
AC Hotel and Apartments

Building and site design review for two multi-family buildings in the D-4 zoning district.

https://aca.slcgov.com/Citizen/Cap/CapDe...38&agencyCode=SLCREF&IsToShowInspection=


http://pegdevelopment.com/future-projects/
I agree that this is a great location. I thought it would be on the corner but I'm glad to see this portion of the block is getting developed first.

I'm curious where the rumored development on one of the Greek Orthodox Church's parking lots is going, and whether it will front 200 South at all.
     
     
  #5376  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 10:54 PM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
s.p. hansen, I think you are misinformed or ill informed. The Salt Lake Roasting Company is going to move further east on 400 South. The building and the adjacent former Barnes Bank building are going to "bite the dust" to be replaced with a mixed use structure that will provide much needed downtown workforce housing. This has absolutely nothing to do with "spreading bureaucracy" as you stated. Also, this is a plan that has been discussed greatly in the prior Administration as well as the current Administration. The initial plans that I saw look great and will place retail on 400 South and facing the PSB. Hopefully, this will encourage more activity in that area. Of course these were only preliminary drawings.

I think I will hold my statements related to the DA's Office until I see improved, more detailed renderings. The rendering provided is horrible and there's no site context whatsoever.
I think that this is disappointing. Once again, I hate the destruction of old properties for a new building. I think that true character is achieved with the interaction of the old and new, not demolition of the old for the sake of the new. I like the Salt Lake Roasting Company Building and it is a shame for it to get demolished. Yes, those properties should be developed, but that development should compliment the historic buildings, not demolish them. Who can I contact about this?
     
     
  #5377  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 12:22 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
If you ever drive around the Wasatch Front and the Inland Empire, Orange County, or around the LA area, there is a very similar feel.
Rancho Cucamonga is Sandy/South Jordan.
Irvine is Draper/Lehi.

Yep. I see it.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
     
     
  #5378  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:47 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
s.p. hansen, I think you are misinformed or ill informed. The Salt Lake Roasting Company is going to move further east on 400 South. The building and the adjacent former Barnes Bank building are going to "bite the dust" to be replaced with a mixed use structure that will provide much needed downtown workforce housing. This has absolutely nothing to do with "spreading bureaucracy" as you stated.
Listen, you guys and the county fucked up already with the DA's office before so don't even pretend I've got a stick up my 🞵🞵🞵 about this. Not to mention what at least 1/3 of this forum and most urban planning profs at the UofU see as a massive overuse of green space on the library property. And we're all getting sick of the "workforce" housing that's overpriced and over stuccoed.

Regarding my issues losing SLC Roasting. The shop was awesome and the history and use was great. The cost of doing business there will most likely be lower than any new mixed use project. If you celebrate some 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 salon replacing a SLC original coffee shop in that spot, then you're doing it wrong. SLC buys distressed and historical property with the RDA, this doesn't feel like that. You guys at your civic campus are horrible neighbors.
     
     
  #5379  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:55 AM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Rancho Cucamonga is Sandy/South Jordan.
Irvine is Draper/Lehi.

Yep. I see it.
Rialto is Ogden.
     
     
  #5380  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:59 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
This isn't to expand the Civic Campus. Yes the city bought it, but it is being acquired for development. Salt Lake City was definitely interested in the property and owned all the property surrounding it, but it was the owner of Salt Lake Roasting that approached the City this time around to begin negotiations.
The city should treat their urban campus less like an LDS temple and more like a member of a neighborhood.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.