HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


View Poll Results: Which of the designs would you like to see become the new Lansdowne 'Front Lawn'?
Option A: "One Park, Four Landscapes" 12 11.88%
Option B: "Win Place Show" 23 22.77%
Option C: "A Force of Nature" 14 13.86%
Option D: "All Roads Lead to Aberdeen" 16 15.84%
Option E: "The Canal Park in Ottawa" 18 17.82%
None of the above. Please keep my ashphalt. 18 17.82%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5961  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:18 PM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I am probably understating things a little bit, as I have heard other complaints about the music on patios, but I strongly suspect the list of complainers and the Friends of Lansdowne membership list have a fairly strong nexus.
Sans doute; I am sure they could fundraise off each other's mailing lists.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5962  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 12:55 AM
mykl mykl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 475
So, how many people are having Wednesday weddings? I myself have been to like 50 weddings, and they've all been on Friday night or Saturday.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5963  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 2:37 PM
TheGoods TheGoods is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
So, how many people are having Wednesday weddings? I myself have been to like 50 weddings, and they've all been on Friday night or Saturday.
Exactly, I also have been to more than 50 weddings in my life time and they were never during a weekday, mostly on a Saturday or on a Sunday of a long weekend.

By chance, if I was invited to a wedding during the week, I can bet you I'd be out of there early since I have work the next day, I cannot see the wedding going late into the evening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5964  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 3:35 PM
kevinbottawa kevinbottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,260
The church I attend has been using the Horticulture Building (and the Aberdeen Pavillion once) since we were forced out of Shoppers City East, and Carleton University flooded. We're pretty loud but I don't think there's been any complaints. A lot of people wander in to see what we're doing and they seem to appreciate that someone's actually using the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5965  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 5:26 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
The church I attend has been using the Horticulture Building (and the Aberdeen Pavillion once) since we were forced out of Shoppers City East, and Carleton University flooded. We're pretty loud but I don't think there's been any complaints. A lot of people wander in to see what we're doing and they seem to appreciate that someone's actually using the building.
That's exactly it. I think most people appreciate that the building is being used, and the activity it brings to the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5966  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 6:27 PM
waterloowarrior's Avatar
waterloowarrior waterloowarrior is offline
National Capital Region
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 9,255
67s game this afternoon postponed due to leaking roof
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5967  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 6:53 PM
Horus's Avatar
Horus Horus is offline
I ask because I Gatineau
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylmer (by way of GTA)
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
67s game this afternoon postponed due to leaking roof
The more things change...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5968  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 12:11 AM
citydwlr citydwlr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 734
The new Aroma Espresso Bar (from Toronto) is now open:
https://twitter.com/aromaespresso/status/700677239873126401

(it's across from Structube)

Also, for visual updates on Craft Beer Market, they post the occasional photo on their Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/CRAFTOttawa
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5969  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 3:35 AM
JeffB JeffB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
67s game this afternoon postponed due to leaking roof
Think it has something to do with the 50cm of snow, followed by +6 temperatures and rain?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5970  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 3:38 AM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is online now
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,682
Yup

Quote:
Leaky roof at Lansdowne — again! — cancels Ottawa 67's game

Tim Baines, Postmedia
Published on: February 20, 2016 | Last Updated: February 20, 2016 4:50 PM EST


The Ottawa 67’s got watered out Saturday at the TD Place arena in Lansdowne Park.

A scheduled game between the 67’s and the Niagara IceDogs was postponed due to “unsafe conditions” on the ice, in particular an area between the net and the boards at one end of the rink where water was coming through the roof. A plastic tarp was put over the pressure joint on the roof, but after a consultation between officials, the two coaches and OSEG president of sports Jeff Hunt decided it was best to call the game off.

The problem wasn’t the rain coming through the roof, it was the melting snow.

“There is a way to mitigate the problem,” said Hunt. “That’s get rid of the snow (off the roof). It was the perfect storm. We had a lot of snow in a short period of time, then we had a drastic warming (and melting). We were caught a bit off guard.”

The game has been rescheduled for Monday at 7 p.m. Before that, the 67’s are in Oshawa for a game Sunday at 6:05 p.m.

The 67’s waited a while before postponing the game, but believe it was the right call.

“We almost wish it was worse so it would have been an easier decision,” said Hunt. “It was so close to the boards, the concern was not so much the water, but how soft the ice had become in that area. The officials felt there was a definite softening in that spot and it made for a dangerous situation. The players come in at a high rate of speed, if they were to catch an edge and lose their balance … it just wasn’t worth the risk.

“We wanted to assess it during the warm-up and some of our own players expressed concern. So in that regard, it was an easy decision.”

After the game, staff placed four bins on the ice to catch drips. The incident was actually mild in comparison with some of the water problems of the past.

Formerly known as the Civic Centre, the building was notorious for leaks almost from its 1967 opening. The Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group spent nearly $23 million to repair the roof as part of a major redevelopment of Lansdowne Park. Ottawa councillors voted in December to guarantee a loan to OSEG to cover the cost of the repairs, in exchange for the developers reducing the amount of their equity in the project.

“It’s happened many times over the years, this was certainly not as bad as it once was,” said Randy Burgess, OSEG’s vice-president of communications. “We had water infiltration from the stairs inside the stadium into the arena and that caused water to drip onto the ice. That made the ice soft and if it’s soft, it’s unsafe.

“The thinking was once the Zamboni shaved away the top layer and built up a new layer of ice, it’d be OK. But the water continued to fall and so the ice was still soft.

“I’ve been here for 10 years and seen it happen many times. The last time I remember that was really bad was prior to the renovations, in 2011. (The water) was everywhere, it was at both ends, it was at centre ice. I think we had probably 100 garbage pails out that time. This time, it’s all in one spot.”

There are logistical issues with the arena connected to the TD Place stadium.

“You’ve got an arena jammed under a football stadium,” said Burgess. “I don’t think there’s any arena like this. It’s a model for efficiency, that’s for sure. We’ve done a tremendous job, I think, modernizing the arena. But it’s still an arena jammed under a football stadium and from time to time, there are going to be issues.

— With files from Olivia Carey

twitter.com/TimCBaines

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/leaky-roof-at-lansdowne-again-cancels-ottawa-67s-game
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5971  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 4:27 AM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
67s game this afternoon postponed due to leaking roof
The upside was a bunch of packed restaurants at 2 in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5972  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 4:46 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
I was at the Civic Centre a few weeks ago, and except for the retail on the outside, new floors (maybe) and the overkill of new beams up top (that don't seem to be supported by anything), it's like they didn't do anything to upgrade the arena. There were stains on the ceiling tiles around the heaters. There is no Jumbotron. It's like they put all of the money into the stadium and the bare minimum in the Civic. That place is an embarrassment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5973  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:08 PM
JeffB JeffB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I was at the Civic Centre a few weeks ago, and except for the retail on the outside, new floors (maybe) and the overkill of new beams up top (that don't seem to be supported by anything), it's like they didn't do anything to upgrade the arena. There were stains on the ceiling tiles around the heaters. There is no Jumbotron. It's like they put all of the money into the stadium and the bare minimum in the Civic. That place is an embarrassment.

Where were your seats? There are 3 big screens on the overhang, which I guess people sitting on the south side of the arena can't see.

The renos to the Civic Centre were always supposed to be minor compared to the stadium renos. But there are probably some other, non-visible things that got fixed up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5974  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:29 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Where were your seats? There are 3 big screens on the overhang, which I guess people sitting on the south side of the arena can't see.

The renos to the Civic Centre were always supposed to be minor compared to the stadium renos. But there are probably some other, non-visible things that got fixed up.
The renos were almost entirely mechanical and structural (although those don't seem to have gone well).

They have renovated the dressing rooms and concourses, and I think the boxes and some other cosmetic stuff will be done now that the lawsuit about the roof beams is settled.

I would have liked to see a better 67s-Fury-Redblacks store. They seem to be missing a real opportunity there.

But yes, there is a great jumbotron - not sure how one could miss that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5975  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 10:24 PM
JeffB JeffB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I would have liked to see a better 67s-Fury-Redblacks store. They seem to be missing a real opportunity there.
I was at the store at the end of December. The young women working there were adjusting their space heater behind the counter. They said something about moving it down closer to where the box offices are. Might be a better spot for it when events aren't going on, but it might get in the way during games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
But yes, there is a great jumbotron - not sure how one could miss that.
If your seats are under the overhang...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5976  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:34 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
I was on the southside, under the overhang.

I guess I just feel the Civic should have an actual Jumbotron hanging over centre ice. It's an arena, not a sports bar.

And considering everything that went into Lansdowne, I find it disappointing they didn't put in an extra 30-50 million to bring the Civic up to the same standards as the rest of the park.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5977  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 8:14 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
I was at the store at the end of December. The young women working there were adjusting their space heater behind the counter. They said something about moving it down closer to where the box offices are. Might be a better spot for it when events aren't going on, but it might get in the way during games.



If your seats are under the overhang...
I think it would have made more sense to put a store on Bank St. and have a boutique in the arena and stadium during games. On the other hand, if it was possible, they could create a store with frontage near the box office that has a back entrance into the stadium concourse (though that would be a bit out of the way for football games). I can't imagine there are too many people making the treck up the Gate 2 stairs when there is no event on, yet when the store was in Fifth Avenue Court it was always busy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5978  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 8:18 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I was on the southside, under the overhang.

I guess I just feel the Civic should have an actual Jumbotron hanging over centre ice. It's an arena, not a sports bar.

And considering everything that went into Lansdowne, I find it disappointing they didn't put in an extra 30-50 million to bring the Civic up to the same standards as the rest of the park.
On the other hand, even 30-50 million wouldn't have fixed the configuration of the arena. I actually much prefer the screen where it is now, as it is much bigger than it could have been hanging at centre and works for the majority of the seats. It does create some weird dynamics though - the stands facing the screen can be almost full and the ones under the overhang will be mostly empty, which makes for a poor look on TV. If I were the 67s, I would knock down the price of those seats to make them more attractive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5979  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 11:26 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
or make it the designated "rowdy" section?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5980  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 4:52 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
On the other hand, even 30-50 million wouldn't have fixed the configuration of the arena. I actually much prefer the screen where it is now, as it is much bigger than it could have been hanging at centre and works for the majority of the seats. It does create some weird dynamics though - the stands facing the screen can be almost full and the ones under the overhang will be mostly empty, which makes for a poor look on TV. If I were the 67s, I would knock down the price of those seats to make them more attractive.
You're right. I went to a game a few year's back when the Civic had a jumbotron, again sitting on the south side. Couldn't see it anyway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.