HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


View Poll Results: Which of the designs would you like to see become the new Lansdowne 'Front Lawn'?
Option A: "One Park, Four Landscapes" 12 11.88%
Option B: "Win Place Show" 23 22.77%
Option C: "A Force of Nature" 14 13.86%
Option D: "All Roads Lead to Aberdeen" 16 15.84%
Option E: "The Canal Park in Ottawa" 18 17.82%
None of the above. Please keep my ashphalt. 18 17.82%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5941  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:37 PM
JFFournier JFFournier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
I go to Lansdowne fairly frequently and didn't even notice Sen until 2 weeks ago. When I did see it, I noticed their smaller sign before I saw their larger hanging sign. They need a much better presence.
I still don't know for certain where it is and I've been at Lansdowne dozens of times.

For that matter, when I searched for a list of restaurants there so I could have a look at the menus ahead of time, I don't recall seeing it listed. Weird...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5942  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:56 PM
LeadingEdgeBoomer LeadingEdgeBoomer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFFournier View Post
I still don't know for certain where it is and I've been at Lansdowne dozens of times.

For that matter, when I searched for a list of restaurants there so I could have a look at the menus ahead of time, I don't recall seeing it listed. Weird...
On the official lansdownelive.ca web site it is still listed as opening soon--even though it has been open for months.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5943  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:11 PM
Cre47's Avatar
Cre47 Cre47 is offline
Awesome!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orleans, ON
Posts: 1,971
__________________
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5944  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:48 PM
Mugwumper's Avatar
Mugwumper Mugwumper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Ah, the Glebonians... last summer they complained about the noise coming from the Folk Fest quite a distance away, now it's Lansdowne Park that's an issue. Noise bylaws have their place, of course, but the Glebonians need to understand that the city's growing, the core is becoming more heavily populated and has growing traffic that won't be declining, and that's how it is... The Glebe neighbourhood is destined to be more like a mini Upper West Side in the middle of the city, rather than like a version of Nepean held in indefinite suspended animation.

They should build a moat around the Glebe, plus a ten-foot thick, 8 metre-high stone wall to block noise, and with a drawbridge to connect it the outside... or the Glebonians could have their own private helicopter service to take them in and out of the neighbourhood, whatever they want... like their own little insulated island in the middle of the city.

I'm being a horrendous reverse-snob, I know, but look at a map and think about where they're located. C'est la vie, learn how to live with the rest of society, folks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5945  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 10:09 PM
LeadingEdgeBoomer LeadingEdgeBoomer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,414
Mugwumper wrote


Quote:
They should build a moat around the Glebe, plus a ten-foot thick, 8 metre-high stone wall to block noise, and with a drawbridge to connect it the outside... or the Glebonians could have their own private helicopter service to take them in and out of the neighbourhood, whatever they want... like their own little insulated island in the middle of the city.
Always have and always will be some complainers.

I lived quite near to LP as a youngster. I miss the roar of the engines during the night time stock car races. Also miss the 40 piece brass bands that played on Sundays at the open bandshell.
As a senior I find that a little neighborhood noise proves to me that I am still alive and do not need a hearing aid.

PS--I live not far from a Fire Hall. As I write I hear sirens . They need to ban those fire engines.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5946  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 11:21 PM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is offline
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,689
Lansdowne neighbours struggle with late-night noise, city's inaction

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: January 31, 2016 | Last Updated: January 31, 2016 5:35 PM EST



Michael Vickers, a Glebe resident, poses in front of the Aberdeen building at Lansdowne Park, Jan 28, 2016. Michael is concerned
that the city of Ottawa is not doing enough to enforce its own noise bylaw at Lansdowne Park, where loud amplified music is often audible after 11 p.m.


People who live near Lansdowne Park want the city to do a better job enforcing its own noise bylaw because loud music is keeping them up at night.

No one is supposed to operate amplifiers and speakers between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. if it disturbs the peace and comfort of people in their homes or businesses, according to Ottawa bylaw 2004-253.

But events at Lansdowne Park — particularly dance parties and wedding receptions in the Aberdeen Pavilion and Horticulture building — appear to be doing just that. And some residents say they’re fed up.

On Wednesday night, Michael Vickers says he could hear loud noise coming from an event inside the Aberdeen Pavilion after 11 p.m.

Although he has registered complaints on at least 10 previous occasions, he didn’t call bylaw this time because the response, he says, often seems skeptical.

“Nobody cares about the disruption that that’s causing,” said Vickers, who lives a few hundred metres north of Lansdowne’s Holmwood Street entrance. “The response we’ve had from bylaw officers and other people is, ‘You’re just these anti-Lansdowne people and you’re whining again.'”

Noise disruptions are a common — and at times complex — irritant for some city dwellers and, in this case, the problem appears to be worst for those who live in a small cluster of homes near Lansdowne’s northern edge.

It’s also tricky for the city, which must strike a balance between being a good neighbour and cashing in on the revenue-earning potential of its facilities.

Vickers, who lives with his wife and two school-age sons, admits he has no great love for the redevelopment. But it’s there and he knows he has to live with it. “I can’t undo it, but I expect the city to operate it in a civilized manner in relation to the residents nearby, many of whom raised just these kinds of concerns and objections during the process,” he said.

Many of the events being booked are incompatible with a nearby residential neighbourhood — especially on weeknights, he said, adding it’s unfair for the city to rent space for events knowing full-well a noise complaint could be filed if the party doesn’t quiet down at 11 p.m.

Capital Coun. David Chernushenko acknowledges the city has revenue targets to meet for renting the spaces, but said he’s been pushing staff to find other ways besides parties and wedding receptions. “A lot of events have found these to be attractive venues, but they don’t work cheek-by-jowl with a residential community,” he said.

The bylaw department dealt with close to 70 noise complaints at Lansdowne Park last year, a dozen of which were related to nine events held in either the Aberdeen or Horticulture buildings after 11 p.m.

Both are heritage buildings without insulation and need to be further adapted for the current use, said Dan Chenier, the city manager responsible for Lansdowne Park’s public features.

All new inquiries for events that would stretch beyond 11 p.m. are being made aware of the noise bylaw and staff are discouraging the use of deep bass, he said. Staff are also being more picky about which events they book for Lansdowne and consider the installation of sound absorption material and a permanent sound system inside the Horticulture building to optimize sound inside and minimize spillage outside.

“We need to find a balance without turning off the lights, turning off the music and not using the building,” Chenier said. “The commitment is to do better, to find some solutions that are going to help bring down the sound on the adjoining properties but still go ahead and make it a lively, animated place that it’s intended to be.”

[email protected]
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news...gle-with-late-night-noise-citys-inaction
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5947  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 11:22 PM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is offline
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,689
I wonder if this fellow has a son named Alecz?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5948  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 2:06 PM
Eric Shun Eric Shun is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
Told you so

-FM
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5949  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 2:28 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,918
To me noise from one off events (a big football game, a big concert) is one thing, most reasonable people accept that sort of thing as part of city life (some jerks still complain). But the weekday weddings and parties the residents seem to be describing sound like a a regular occurrence.

The comments on the article seem to go something like "well, you knew there was a fairground there when you bought your house." That might be true, but extra noise from the midway for 2 weeks a year is different from a party venue that runs year around.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5950  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 2:35 PM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
To me noise from one off events (a big football game, a big concert) is one thing, most reasonable people accept that sort of thing as part of city life (some jerks still complain). But the weekday weddings and parties the residents seem to be describing sound like a a regular occurrence.

The comments on the article seem to go something like "well, you knew there was a fairground there when you bought your house." That might be true, but extra noise from the midway for 2 weeks a year is different from a party venue that runs year around.
Yes; even I, who has zero tolerance for entitled Glebe NIMBYism,* see the difference in this case. The pavilion's rental policies need to be tweaked, and enforced, for the good of the neighbours, if the noise is that bad and chronic.





* Former Glebonian here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5951  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 4:32 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Yes; even I, who has zero tolerance for entitled Glebe NIMBYism,* see the difference in this case. The pavilion's rental policies need to be tweaked, and enforced, for the good of the neighbours, if the noise is that bad and chronic.





* Former Glebonian here.
Except that this is one guy, and he has been leading the charge against Lansdowne with complaints of various kinds for over 8 years now. Shocking that he now finds the noise unbearable.

A complaint does not make it so (and particularly a complaint from someone who has made a career out of complaining). Maybe the noise after 11 is excessive, maybe it isn't. I suspect that latter, given that these events are generally indoors and it is winter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5952  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 4:47 PM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Except that this is one guy, and he has been leading the charge against Lansdowne with complaints of various kinds for over 8 years now. Shocking that he now finds the noise unbearable.

A complaint does not make it so (and particularly a complaint from someone who has made a career out of complaining). Maybe the noise after 11 is excessive, maybe it isn't. I suspect that latter, given that these events are generally indoors and it is winter.
Hence the word "if" in my posting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5953  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:06 PM
cr872190 cr872190 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Except that this is one guy, and he has been leading the charge against Lansdowne with complaints of various kinds for over 8 years now. Shocking that he now finds the noise unbearable.

A complaint does not make it so (and particularly a complaint from someone who has made a career out of complaining). Maybe the noise after 11 is excessive, maybe it isn't. I suspect that latter, given that these events are generally indoors and it is winter.
My partner's parents live in the area and this guy is very well known in the neighborhood for complaining about just about everything. They like to point out that he probably has every by-law memorized except property maintenance and property standards:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5954  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 6:56 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Hence the word "if" in my posting.
Fair enough.

I obviously have a bias being well aware of this guy's antics in the neighbourhood, but I think it is a pretty big "if" in this case. I really wonder how an article like this gets written based on one source.

I am probably understating things a little bit, as I have heard other complaints about the music on patios, but I strongly suspect the list of complainers and the Friends of Lansdowne membership list have a fairly strong nexus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5955  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 8:06 PM
Radster Radster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chelsea
Posts: 997
I know for a fact that there was a DJ/dance party in the Horticulture building back in Oct or Nov, that went till about 2am, surely that could have emitted lots of noise from the bass. But that was a one off event.

Ha, so is this guy Alecz_dad?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5956  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 10:51 PM
Temperance Temperance is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 471
It seems unlikely that 70 noise complaints all emerged from the same guy. At any rate none of us would really want to live next to a place that is noisy several times a week late at night (if that is really the case).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5957  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 1:27 AM
Mugwumper's Avatar
Mugwumper Mugwumper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
My partner's parents live in the area and this guy is very well known in the neighborhood for complaining about just about everything. They like to point out that he probably has every by-law memorized except property maintenance and property standards:

Hilarious.

Wonder if he would he be a renter? I'm cynical, but I wonder... If a complainer/commentator was actually paying property tax, then their views might carry some more weight. It isn't like renters have a stake in neighbourhood development. They're transient. They can easily pull up and move elsewhere if they don't like their current location. I don't know this guy's status, but it'd be nice if the newspaper would venture to provide this info to readers while they're giving a NIMBY such a large bullhorn with the newspaper article.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5958  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 1:28 AM
Mugwumper's Avatar
Mugwumper Mugwumper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
It seems unlikely that 70 noise complaints all emerged from the same guy. At any rate none of us would really want to live next to a place that is noisy several times a week late at night (if that is really the case).
Like the Byward Market? Lol... property prices are doing just fine there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5959  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:07 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
I know for a fact that there was a DJ/dance party in the Horticulture building back in Oct or Nov, that went till about 2am, surely that could have emitted lots of noise from the bass. But that was a one off event.

Ha, so is this guy Alecz_dad?
Not sure, but in my experience, it is a small group that is punching well above its weight in terms of getting their opinions heard. I'm not saying that one guy produced 70 noise complaints (though it is possible), but it does seem that people band together and encourage each other to call every time there is a hint of noise, and to fill out every survey etc., which potentially makes it look like a bigger problem than it really is.

I have no doubt that there is noise generated by Lansdowne. I have serious doubts as to how big an irritant it is on a day to day basis. I think the fact that there were only 12 complaints for 9 events at the Horticulture Building is pretty telling.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5960  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 2:16 PM
Jamaican-Phoenix's Avatar
Jamaican-Phoenix Jamaican-Phoenix is offline
R2-D2's army of death
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Downtown Ottawa
Posts: 3,561
Some of my family members keep complaining about this, and yet I've been to Lansdowne more times in the past 7 months that I've been back in Canada than I have in the past 7 years.

Sure, it isn't the greatest, the process wasn't exactly awesome, and it could have some more originality and a nice amenity and draw or two other than what's there. But it's been a very good addition to Ottawa as far as I'm concerned, and I've been there several times for several different reasons. This didn't use to happen for me.
__________________
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:55 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.