HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5341  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 4:35 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
If they were to utilize the Grand Hall of the Depot as the Lobby, and maybe a Lobby Bar and restaurant for the Boutique Hotel then I am all for converting the Depot to a Hotel. I too wonder where they would add the rooms thought. I think The Depot is a great live music venue, so I'm curious how a hotel would be accomplished. I guess if a hotel pencils out more than a music venue than they would do that. I'd hate to see it go though. I could see capacity for 110 rooms on the upper floors of both the north and south wing. The Depot's two story space is pretty big and I assume the south side has just as much space. I think it could easily be accomplished there.
     
     
  #5342  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:45 PM
Cutekittens85 Cutekittens85 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
I've been lurking for a long time and really enjoy this forum. Im looking to buy a 1 bed in 99 west within the next year and I was wondering if anyone by chance has the price sheet for the units from when they first started selling them. Thanks in advance for your help.
     
     
  #5343  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:52 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutekittens85 View Post
I've been lurking for a long time and really enjoy this forum. Im looking to buy a 1 bed in 99 west within the next year and I was wondering if anyone by chance has the price sheet for the units from when they first started selling them. Thanks in advance for your help.
According to the layout, and the pricing information at www.citycreekliving.com there is only 1 1-bedroom left and that is on floor 27.

Since the subject was brought up, if you're in the need for a Realtor, I'd love to assist you.
     
     
  #5344  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:54 PM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
As of February 2016 (From the project art RFQ & bidding documents):

district attorney office by downtown_slc, on Flickr

update..... 2/24/2016

So, I got a message from the architect on my flickr page where I had uploaded the rendering...

Here it is:

"This early conceptual rendering is owned by MHTN Architects, Inc. Please remove this image immediately, as permission has not been given for any type of use."

Last edited by Viperlord; Feb 25, 2016 at 1:33 AM.
     
     
  #5345  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:57 PM
msbutah's Avatar
msbutah msbutah is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 140
RE the Wells Fargo atrium - they are going to be reducing the open space of the atrium to make complete floors out of those upper floors instead of having them end as partial floors. I was chatting with the building maintenance people and they're having discussions about how this will be accomplished.
     
     
  #5346  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 8:03 PM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
‘Landmark’ new mosque planned in Salt Lake City

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3557905-155/landmark-new-mosque-planned-in-salt
     
     
  #5347  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 8:16 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I kind of think of the mountains as the signature tower for Salt Lake.
I absolutely agree, which is why I don't support anything over 30 stories in SLC.

Also, I strongly dislike that the color of glass on 111 appears mostly black during the daytime.
     
     
  #5348  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 8:21 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
If they were to utilize the Grand Hall of the Depot as the Lobby, and maybe a Lobby Bar and restaurant for the Boutique Hotel then I am all for converting the Depot to a Hotel. I too wonder where they would add the rooms thought. I think The Depot is a great live music venue, so I'm curious how a hotel would be accomplished. I guess if a hotel pencils out more than a music venue than they would do that. I'd hate to see it go though. I could see capacity for 110 rooms on the upper floors of both the north and south wing. The Depot's two story space is pretty big and I assume the south side has just as much space. I think it could easily be accomplished there.
I would only support the main hall being used for those purposes if nothing permanent is built within its space. If they use the existing ticket windows for guest check-in, have a portable bar on wheels, etc.

There exists other space on the ground floor that could be used for lobby, bar, restaurant space. The main hall ought to continue to be event space, like a typical hotel ballroom, with nothing permanent built in.
     
     
  #5349  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 8:42 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
As of February 2016 (From the project art RFQ & bidding documents):

district attorney office by downtown_slc, on Flickr
At first, I kind of liked it, but there's such a lack of street engagement for this project. It just shows grass at street level. Disappointing.
     
     
  #5350  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 8:46 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I would only support the main hall being used for those purposes if nothing permanent is built within its space. If they use the existing ticket windows for guest check-in, have a portable bar on wheels, etc.

There exists other space on the ground floor that could be used for lobby, bar, restaurant space. The main hall ought to continue to be event space, like a typical hotel ballroom, with nothing permanent built in.
One of the things that always makes me sad about old unused train stations is the emptiness of them. No crowds. No people. No purpose. A beautiful building that isn't in daily regular use and isn't regularly seen by people - especially if it was meant to be seen and used every day - seems partly tragic.
I agree completely that whatever happens to the great hall shouldn't permanently change the building. But if there are modifications that need to be made in order to make it a functioning part of the building again (like adding a bar or whatever) I say so be it - as long as these changes can be un-done if the purpose of the building changes again.

Out of curiosity, how often is the hall used for events?
     
     
  #5351  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 8:50 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
At first, I kind of liked it, but there's such a lack of street engagement for this project. It just shows grass at street level. Disappointing.
Is this supposed to be on the NE corner of 500S and Main? Surely they don't mean the NW corner?
It's better than a parking lot. Yep. That's all my thoughts on it.
     
     
  #5352  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 9:52 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Construction is starting on the 616 Lofts. I believe the DA offices will occupy the east corner of the parking lot at 500 South, with the county partnering with a private developer to build at the west side at the actual intersection. Now just what to do about the block-sized parking lot across the street
     
     
  #5353  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 10:15 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
As of February 2016 (From the project art RFQ & bidding documents):

district attorney office by downtown_slc, on Flickr
Oh Christ.... That's horrendous. It kind of reminds me of that ugly building that use to be on the east end of the library block....
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #5354  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 10:17 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
One of the things that always makes me sad about old unused train stations is the emptiness of them. No crowds. No people. No purpose. A beautiful building that isn't in daily regular use and isn't regularly seen by people - especially if it was meant to be seen and used every day - seems partly tragic.
I agree completely that whatever happens to the great hall shouldn't permanently change the building. But if there are modifications that need to be made in order to make it a functioning part of the building again (like adding a bar or whatever) I say so be it - as long as these changes can be un-done if the purpose of the building changes again.

Out of curiosity, how often is the hall used for events?


It's really to bad that the city planning didn't have their 🞵🞵🞵🞵 together way back when... The UP Depot would have made a great transit hub.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #5355  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 11:40 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I absolutely agree, which is why I don't support anything over 30 stories in SLC.
I disagree with this, because it doesn't matter how tall any building in downtown is, they will all pale in size compared to the mountains. 30 stories or 50 stories won't really make all that much of a visual difference with the mountains as a backdrop. It's not as if a skinny 50 story tower would block any views of the mountains from anywhere, except a building directly adjacent to the 50 story tower.

Just my opinion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
It's really to bad that the city planning didn't have their 🞵🞵🞵🞵 together way back when... The UP Depot would have made a great transit hub.
🞵🞵🞵🞵 together or not. City Planning most likely didn't have much to do with it. City Council had ultimate approval and they wanted to get it built before the Olympics happened.
     
     
  #5356  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 11:44 PM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I absolutely agree, which is why I don't support anything over 30 stories in SLC.

Also, I strongly dislike that the color of glass on 111 appears mostly black during the daytime.
Nah the views of the mountains around downtown aren't very good unless you find the perfect angle or get up in the air. I think tall buildings create views in that location much more so than they block them. That isn't true of the entire Wasatch Front but I think it is true for downtown SLC.
     
     
  #5357  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 11:56 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Construction is starting on the 616 Lofts. I believe the DA offices will occupy the east corner of the parking lot at 500 South, with the county partnering with a private developer to build at the west side at the actual intersection. Now just what to do about the block-sized parking lot across the street
At least it's not a corner building. Hopefully whatever gets built on the actual corner has enough street engagement to make up for this one.
     
     
  #5358  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 12:54 AM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I kind of think of the mountains as the signature tower for Salt Lake.
I third this! I don't live in SLC because of the fantastic skyline, I live here because of the fantastic mountains. Like has been said on here, I'm fine with lots of smaller buildings than one gigantic one.
     
     
  #5359  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 1:04 AM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
As of February 2016 (From the project art RFQ & bidding documents):

district attorney office by downtown_slc, on Flickr
I am actually really excited about this project--hear me out. Yes the architecture of the building is extremely bland and leaves much to be desired. I think what leaves this building with a lot of potential is the RFQ. $325,000 has been allotted for some type of glass art. While the final design will be based on what the artist designs, the RFQ proposes the glass art to potentially drape/hang from/interact with parts, if not the entire front, of the building. And considering that the building may be covered in some really cool glass art, it is actually acceptable, if not encouraged, that the building be blasé and forgettable. Installation of the art will not begin until the beginning of next year so before you critique the building once it is finished, wait for the art to go up.

If your wondering how much a glass art piece can be purchased with $325,000, there isn't a good answer for that. The building is 201 feet long and 83 feet high. Enough to cover the entire building? No, I extremely doubt it. However, it depends on the artist and what they change. Enough to create a fantastic interaction with what otherwise would be a boring building. Thats definitely my hope.
     
     
  #5360  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 1:53 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Ugh. Bring back the original concept. It was so much better.

Why does SLC have to keep churning out god-awful buildings?!?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:31 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.