HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5321  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:39 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
222's blinds give the building some daily variety and shows interaction. It helps you think of the building as something actual people work and play in.
     
     
  #5322  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:40 AM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
I would really like to see some unique pictures of our skyline with the use of some well placed drones. Any hobbyist's out there? Hook us up!
     
     
  #5323  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 5:08 AM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
Blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
222's blinds give the building some daily variety and shows interaction. It helps you think of the building as something actual people work and play in.
I see your point about signs of life, but too me it looks like some cheap vertical blinds were put up. I think the blinds, the way they are, make it look cheap. I envision a lot of messy desks for some reason. Lol, and I'm not even a neat freak.

We really need to get a new tall building to talk about!
     
     
  #5324  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 5:47 AM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,285
Here is cool drone footage of 111 S Main (not mine)

• Video Link
     
     
  #5325  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 3:34 PM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
Awesome drone footage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Here is cool drone footage of 111 S Main (not mine)

• Video Link


That was great drone footage! Those things are amazing.
     
     
  #5326  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 3:53 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
     
     
  #5327  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 3:57 PM
HandsomeJohn HandsomeJohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
While google fiber talk is super exhilarating. Do we know when we can expect an announcement on the CCH? Or does anyone have any other development related news?
The CCH Committee met again this past Thursday, they have still not made a decision.
     
     
  #5328  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 5:36 PM
Wasatch Wasteland's Avatar
Wasatch Wasteland Wasatch Wasteland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeJohn View Post
The CCH Committee met again this past Thursday, they have still not made a decision.
I am hoping this means that most if not all three proposals have been extremely well designed. Perhaps they are having trouble finding which one has more benefits than the other. A "Good, Better, Best" scenario if you will.
     
     
  #5329  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 7:55 PM
UTAZLoVer's Avatar
UTAZLoVer UTAZLoVer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
On a side note. Not high rise related. Ogden needs a tram put in from the east bench to the top of Snow Basin. It's a no brainer and would be such a boost to a lack luster town. That is if money was not a problem

I think it would put the city on the map! Kind of
Hey! Welcome! Without going too far into this (some forum members get touchy about discussions being in the wrong thread and technically this belongs in the Ogden thread), this suggestion totally is a no-brainer, but because of property ownership issues is very difficult to execute.

A tram, gondola or any other form of transit from the 29th St Trailhead or WSU to Snowbasin would require permission from both the Peterson family (they own the foothills in for that entire stretch) as well as the US Forest Service, in addition to Snowbasin itself and either WSU or Ogden City on either end. The latter two would be pretty easy to secure, but the former two are full of red tape and politics. If you want me to expound on this, go ahead and move the discussion to the Ogden thread and I can go into further detail. This is not to even mention funding, which is an entire different issue and really cannot even be explored without all necessary parties on board.

Thanks for bringing it up, and welcome again!!
     
     
  #5330  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 10:00 PM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAZLoVer View Post
Hey! Welcome! Without going too far into this (some forum members get touchy about discussions being in the wrong thread and technically this belongs in the Ogden thread), this suggestion totally is a no-brainer, but because of property ownership issues is very difficult to execute.

A tram, gondola or any other form of transit from the 29th St Trailhead or WSU to Snowbasin would require permission from both the Peterson family (they own the foothills in for that entire stretch) as well as the US Forest Service, in addition to Snowbasin itself and either WSU or Ogden City on either end. The latter two would be pretty easy to secure, but the former two are full of red tape and politics. If you want me to expound on this, go ahead and move the discussion to the Ogden thread and I can go into further detail. This is not to even mention funding, which is an entire different issue and really cannot even be explored without all necessary parties on board.

Thanks for bringing it up, and welcome again!!
Thanks for the heads up about the Ogden Forum. I'm crossing my fingers for a 500ft CCH! We collectively need this. Lol
     
     
  #5331  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 10:11 PM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
What the new CCH should look like

I did quick search of some nice looking high rises and I found a nice building that would fit nicely in the Salt Lake skyline. If you google " The Vue Charlotte", I think this would be a nice building design for our CCH if it is indead going to be about 500ft. What would be your ideal look? I'm curious.

Last edited by Utah_Dave; Feb 20, 2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
     
     
  #5332  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 5:04 AM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
I hope you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
I am hoping this means that most if not all three proposals have been extremely well designed. Perhaps they are having trouble finding which one has more benefits than the other. A "Good, Better, Best" scenario if you will.
Given Salt Lakes past troubles with large projects coming to fruition, I fear they did not get the proposals they were hoping for. I hope I am wrong and we can finally be excited by a large project and a new, tallest building!
     
     
  #5333  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 8:32 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
I'm not sure how to feel about their plan to turn the Union Pacific Depot into a boutique hotel. As long as the main hall is left mostly untouched, then I could support it, I guess.

Also, the Trib says, "Cushing said Vestar intends to rebuild key traffic access points into the mall in hopes of relieving congestion during peak events at the adjacent arena where the Utah Jazz play." Doesn't that sound like they could be planning to relocate the entrances to the parking garage??

The Olympic fountain area is way too small for their planned ice skating rink.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3557755-155/new-owners-unveil-30m-upgrade-for

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
More info on the plans for the Gateway The new owners seem serious about turning the Gateway around.
     
     
  #5334  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 11:42 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,769
Yeah, That's pretty interesting about the Depot. Sounds like some much needed changes are going to take place finally. I'm kind of wondering if 30 million will be enough, after reading everything they want to do. Also, I'm kind of holding my breath about the main hall too. I imagine the bulk of any additional needed space for the Boutique Hotel would be added on at the West side. There's quite a bit of vertical space, considering the drop down to the Plaza. I've always thought the backside of the Depot needed a little dressing up. I'm hoping whatever they add on will be in the same tasteful and authentic style.


http://www.calgaryherald.com
     
     
  #5335  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 4:58 AM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745




     
     
  #5336  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 5:17 AM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
ToysNoiz....Beautiful
     
     
  #5337  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 5:21 AM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,285
Great shots! That skyline is begging for a 550 ft+ signature tower
     
     
  #5338  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 5:28 AM
Highrise_Mike's Avatar
Highrise_Mike Highrise_Mike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoJo, UT
Posts: 232
Love those shots ToysNoiz, thanks for sharing. 111 S definitely bridges the gap in the skyline in that last shot.
     
     
  #5339  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 3:21 PM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Great shots! That skyline is begging for a 550 ft+ signature tower
I kind of think of the mountains as the signature tower for Salt Lake.
     
     
  #5340  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 4:23 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434
The link says 110 room hotel in the UP depot. I didn't think there was that much room in there. In order to make room for 110 hotel rooms, do you think they'll need to build additions to the depot? They could put the additions on the west end, where those vacant 1-story buildings shaped like triangles are.

I think changing the main hall is definitely out, as the thing is a registered historic place. In fact, to use the main hall as the hotel lobby might be the best possible use I can think for it (barring the impossible return of trains to the depot, of course!)
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.