Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark
|
I'm not against the library...
And you can't equate the percentage paid by the city for NC to the entire amount, but yes, transit needs to be prioritized as well. Libraries have social value, transit and trade venues do too. The second two also have the potential for income generation (definitely in usership and taxes). This is not taking into account the necessity of trade promotion (which has shown to have a multiplier effect of 40x). This has to do with both local, provincial, domestic, and international sales and investment that results from having a proper venue. All the people worried about employment should take note of this. Dusseldorf (population 500k) is known for their annual events in many sectors. I'm not talking about the "spillover" argument here... that is as questionable as tourism as a mainstay sector. I'm moreso talking about a venue for the sectors that actually drive the NS economy, like healthcare, education, etc.