Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16
Thanks for finding this picture in the archives. It is great to see how the (then) W. Frazer & Sons building looked in ca 1868.
I wonder when the (then) Smith building on the corner of Prince and Barrington Street was built? Would it have been an original building that dates back to the founding of Halifax? Here is a link to a map of that part of Halifax in 1878 - http://novascotia.ca/archives/maps/plate.asp?ID=3. The Smith building was the one torn down and replaced by the majestic New York Life building, which would have been an engineering and architectural marvel in 1900, and is still one of the more impressive buildings in Halifax (in my opinion). PS: It is too bad that the clock and roof feature have been removed from the former New York Life building.
|
I was fascinated when I found the photo. It's extraordinary that photos like this even exist, as photography had only been commercially available for about 30 years when that pic was taken.
I'm not sure how one would find out the history of the Smith building, but I'm guessing that it had been built some time after the founding of Halifax (1749). Of course there aren't any photos from that time, but this illustration of Halifax in the 1750s shows a very small town and indicates that most of the structures built at that time would have been somewhat simple and basic. I think that Haligonians were still dealing with basic survival and establishing a colony (and defending it) at that point, so most private buildings would have been built to cover the basics. That's just my speculation, however.
http://www.fineart.utoronto.ca/canarch/maritimes/halifaxplans.html
I'm not an expert in architecture, but I would guess from the style and condition that it was probably built in the early 1800s, but that's as far as I can go.
The New York Life building is still impressive to this day, and yes I agree that reinstating the clock and roof feature would make it even nicer.
While we're at it, another feature of note in the photograph is the absence of the current City Hall building, which was constructed starting in 1887.