HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #201  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 12:13 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
My boyfriend at the time made me take a walk for almost half an hour... I honestly felt like I was going to die. (He got quite a mouthful from me later!)
Ahem. I'm assuming you meant "earful" here, but if not, then...carry on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #202  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 12:26 AM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
Regardless I'm sure the boyfriend got exactly what was coming to him.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #203  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 12:32 AM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
To answer the question in the OP:

1. Toronto: It feels massive and inexhaustible. It never fails to surprise you, which is a hallmark of great cities. Transit and/or biking will get you everywhere worth going. It's never quite quaint enough, it doesn't have any impressive Victorian mightiness due its smaller size 150 years ago, it often looks ramshackle, and people can be too reserved in the stereotypical Canadian manner, but if you want a Canadian metropolis, this is it. If you don't, or if you don't think Toronto does the country justice as its metropolis, well, sorry, that's all we got.

2. Montreal: All the stereotypes. Joie de vivre, je ne sais quoi, à la recherche du temps perdu...I lost a lot of time trying to figure out that last one. Time that I'll never get back. I love Montreal, and am totally sympathetic to the ingrained animus toward or utter disregard of Toronto that some anglophones and francophones have. It's easy to forget anything west of Montreal matters, and it's easy to orient yourself in the direction of New York, Europe and Latin America for inspiration and vacations. Search kool maudit's posts with "Montreal" as the search term for some good insight into why Montreal is so special and compelling.

Though I do wish they'd clean the ice off the sidewalks in the winter.

3. Guelph: Laid back, kinda funky, great stone architecture, a university, and not too far from Toronto.

4. Kitchener-Waterloo: Nothing to look at. It's mostly either dreary or downright ugly, but there's an unmistakable energy and vibe in the air from all the IT stuff. And it's not too far from Toronto either.

5. Victoria: I could list a dozen reasons why I don't like the place, but I recognize that that has more to do with my own personal biases than anything approaching a realistic assessment. I did enjoy my one visit there to see friends. It's probably sizeable enough for lots of people, and it really doesn't get as cold as the rest of the country in the winter, which might trump the lack of heat in the summer (not for me, but maybe for lots of people). I'm quite certain that it would have to rank fairly high on anyone's list of the most appealing larger cities in Canada.
And, at the risk of sounding boosterish, an above-the-Canadian-average quality of life that would surprise people not familiar with the Region. Even without the easy access to Toronto, although that is a huge bonus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #204  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 12:34 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Regardless I'm sure the boyfriend got exactly what was coming to him.
I'm hoping that I never let myself get to the point where I try to make puns about this sort of thing.

Touch wood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #205  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 12:36 AM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I'm hoping that I never let myself get to the point where I try to make puns about this sort of thing.

Touch wood.
Oh you didn't!

I wouldn't have touched it with a ten-foot pole.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #206  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 1:26 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

That's a nice view. The only problems I can see are that it's 19 degrees in June...
Just purely for the record, it was in fact hotter in Vancouver last June than in Toronto, not to mention much sunnier and drier. Just purely for the record.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #207  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 2:12 AM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
My boyfriend at the time made me take a walk for almost half an hour... I honestly felt like I was going to die. (He got quite a mouthful from me later!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Regardless I'm sure the boyfriend got exactly what was coming to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I'm hoping that I never let myself get to the point where I try to make puns about this sort of thing.

Touch wood.


-----

Halifax/Ottawa get my vote in this category. Cities that feel big without being too big.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #208  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 3:03 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Just purely for the record, it was in fact hotter in Vancouver last June than in Toronto, not to mention much sunnier and drier. Just purely for the record.
Okay, we're getting into classic SSP territory here, because, reading this, I not only thought to myself that there's no way that could possibly be true, but I actually took it upon myself to check.

So, without further adieu:

Vancouver, June 2015 average high: 22.3 (unseasonably warm, I was told by a relative living there)
http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData...6-13|2015-12-16&Year=2015&Month=6&Day=01

Toronto, June 2015 average high: 22.4 (below average)
http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData...6-13|2015-12-16&Year=2015&Month=6&Day=01

So more or less the same, though there was a lot more rain in Toronto than Vancouver, with Toronto getting almost three times more than normal precipitation.

Wild claims! Duelling statistical references! It's showtime at SSP!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #209  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 3:36 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
In the meantime, during the Raptors game tonight against the Hornets one of the members of the Charlotte broadcast team decided to wax lyrical about Toronto.

"Toronto, Ontario, is one of the most spectacular cities of the world. Very cosmopolitan are the people of Toronto. If you can stand the weather!"
"We're going to be there New Year's Eve."
"You know that used to be your town, Del. You can show us all the great spots for some poutine."

I'm sure that there are Quebeckers out there spitting up blood every time an American identifies poutine with Toronto. And whether a basketball announcer from Charlotte is a competent judge of "spectacular cities" is up for debate. But it really is fascinating how Toronto's profile has risen so, erm, spectacularly in the past twenty years among NBA players, coaches and media hangers-on. Where once there were whispers of players not wanting to play there, these days the place gets nothing but glowing reviews and is a favourite for visiting teams. I think the gushing I hear with every broadcast is mainly due to a lingering but still startling realization by Americans that it isn't bland and anonymous the way they stereotypically expect Canada to be (that Simpsons episode "The Bart Wants What It Wants" really was unforgivable for that, but then, Americans always get non-American things wrong--and yeah, I know, some of the writers of the episode trafficking in those hoary, spoon-fed cliches were actually Canadian, which is sad, and, of course, typical).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #210  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 3:46 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

Okay, we're getting into classic SSP territory here, because, reading this, I not only thought to myself that there's no way that could possibly be true, but I actually took it upon myself to check.

So, without further adieu:

Vancouver, June 2015 average high: 22.3 (unseasonably warm, I was told by a relative living there)
http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData...6-13|2015-12-16&Year=2015&Month=6&Day=01

Toronto, June 2015 average high: 22.4 (below average)
http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData...6-13|2015-12-16&Year=2015&Month=6&Day=01

So more or less the same, though there was a lot more rain in Toronto than Vancouver, with Toronto getting almost three times more than normal precipitation.

Wild claims! Duelling statistical references! It's showtime at SSP!
Vancouver in June 2015 was hotter than the historical average. That is why I said "purely for the record."

That said, your numbers are incorrect, in the sense that you are using numbers from the wrong weather stations. You are comparing Toronto International, which is inland and hotter than downtown Toronto, with Vancouver International, which sits on the coast of the Salish Sea and is colder than downtown Vancouver, which lies within the protective confines of Burrard Inlet.

If you compare downtown to downtown, the actual monthly average maximum temperatures for June 2015 were:

Toronto City Centre: 20.4

Vancouver Harbour: 23.6

And the monthly extreme maximum for each downtown was:

Toronto: 28.4

Vancouver: 30.6
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #211  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 4:05 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
In the meantime, I also see that Vancouver surpassed Toronto in July too.

Toronto City Centre:

Average max: 24.9
Extreme max: 30.1

Source

Vancouver Harbour:

Average max: 25
Extreme max: 31.5

Source
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #212  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 4:35 AM
MonkeyRonin's Avatar
MonkeyRonin MonkeyRonin is offline
¥ ¥ ¥
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
In the meantime, I also see that Vancouver surpassed Toronto in July too.

Toronto City Centre:

Average max: 24.9
Extreme max: 30.1

Source

Vancouver Harbour:

Average max: 25
Extreme max: 31.5

Source

I'm really glad I have this information.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #213  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 4:58 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
That said, your numbers are incorrect, in the sense that you are using numbers from the wrong weather stations. You are comparing Toronto International, which is inland and hotter than downtown Toronto, with Vancouver International, which sits on the coast of the Salish Sea and is colder than downtown Vancouver, which lies within the protective confines of Burrard Inlet.

If you compare downtown to downtown, the actual monthly average maximum temperatures for June 2015 were:

Toronto City Centre: 20.4

Vancouver Harbour: 23.6
I see what you're getting at, but just a point of clarification: that Toronto temp reading is from Billy Bishop Airport, not downtown. So the apt comparison would be 20.4 at Billy Bishop and 22.3 at Vancouver airport.

And...by sitting here arguing over 1.3 degrees with someone playing oneupmanship by comparing an extraordinary month in Vancouver to a below average month in Toronto, instead of doing something meaningful or useful with my evening I have officially crossed over into Pathetic Land. I will now proceed to defend Toronto's peameal bacon sandwich to the death and argue incessantly over something Peter Ustinov once said (which really was a compliment, all you counter-intuitive naysayers are just jealous and stuff).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #214  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 5:10 AM
hipster duck's Avatar
hipster duck hipster duck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,956
Every city has its "breaking point" month. The month where people's patience with the longest, most interminable season runs out.

In Ontario, it's April.

In Vancouver, it's June, aka "June-uary". Yes, an endless spring is better than an endless winter, but by June every other part of the country has above 20 temps while we have daytime highs of 17, with nights chilling down to around 10.

I usually go back to visit family and friends in Ontario in early June, because I'm usually guaranteed to have better weather and the flights are still cheap.

Last year was an anomaly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #215  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 5:36 AM
Loco101's Avatar
Loco101 Loco101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Timmins, Northern Ontario
Posts: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Every city has its "breaking point" month. The month where people's patience with the longest, most interminable season runs out.

In Ontario, it's April.

In Vancouver, it's June, aka "June-uary". Yes, an endless spring is better than an endless winter, but by June every other part of the country has above 20 temps while we have daytime highs of 17, with nights chilling down to around 10.

I usually go back to visit family and friends in Ontario in early June, because I'm usually guaranteed to have better weather and the flights are still cheap.

Last year was an anomaly.
Not every other part of the country always has nice June weather. Northern Ontario isn't always nice in June. Neither is St. John's, NL. And the same likely goes for some other Atlantic cities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #216  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 6:00 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,010
I like the June weather. Vancouver and Halifax have virtually identical June weather; Vancouver's not uniquely terrible or anything. Contrary to what people say it's not really that cloudy normally and the mild weather is great for going out and doing things.

It's funny people bring up the summer in Vancouver this year. By the time we hit August I was ready for it to be done. Too warm and too long. This year had disappointingly short periods of spring and fall weather.

I do think there's a strong subjective element to this discussion. I find Ontario summers unpleasant once the novelty wears off after a couple of days. I would never take Toronto summers over east or west coast summers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #217  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 6:05 AM
geotag277 geotag277 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Every city has its "breaking point" month. The month where people's patience with the longest, most interminable season runs out.

In Ontario, it's April.

In Vancouver, it's June, aka "June-uary". Yes, an endless spring is better than an endless winter, but by June every other part of the country has above 20 temps while we have daytime highs of 17, with nights chilling down to around 10.

I usually go back to visit family and friends in Ontario in early June, because I'm usually guaranteed to have better weather and the flights are still cheap.

Last year was an anomaly.
I would definitely say it's March in Vancouver, owing to the constant drizzle and general relapse into cloudy grey as it is usually more rainy and cloudy than even February.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #218  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 6:11 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
I would definitely say it's March in Vancouver, owing to the constant drizzle and general relapse into cloudy grey as it is usually more rainy and cloudy than even February.
I don't find this at all. I think March is great. It's warm enough that lots of plants start growing and the days are finally back to a reasonable length.

The darkness at 4:30 is what gets me at this time of year more than the rain.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #219  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 7:10 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
the highrises and the urban fabric are bland and depressing.
Damn. You find the West End's urban fabric depressing? It's one of my favourite neighbourhoods in Canada. You're a hard man to please, rousseau.


February was always my breaking point in Vancouver. I hate that month on the coast. By March, the days have gotten longer and brighter, and the really stormy weather off of the Pacific has turned in to a much more manageable drizzle. By April, I'm good.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #220  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 7:24 AM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Ahem. I'm assuming you meant "earful" here, but if not, then...carry on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Regardless I'm sure the boyfriend got exactly what was coming to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I'm hoping that I never let myself get to the point where I try to make puns about this sort of thing.

Touch wood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Oh you didn't!

I wouldn't have touched it with a ten-foot pole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
.
Oopsies, a poor choice of words on my part I meant earful.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:51 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.