HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7921  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 10:53 PM
googspecial googspecial is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: YYC
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt04ku View Post
Marda Loop. Pips Boardgame Cafe.
I'm kind of devastated that this is news to me...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7922  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 11:41 PM
Centro Centro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 34
Just checked out Pips website, looks like they're just opening tomorrow.

Wonder what the demand is like for these. I remember stopping by one in Edmonton (on Whyte?) and it was empty.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7923  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 12:01 AM
nick.flood's Avatar
nick.flood nick.flood is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,261
delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 5:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7924  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 5:41 AM
*Stardust* *Stardust* is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,062
The old Bensonhurst site is now called "Full Circle: Oyster and Pizza Bar" The signage looks like its straight out of the late 80's, cursive writing and all.

I don't want to judge based on looks, but I do not high hopes based on just walking by it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7925  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:06 AM
MasterG's Avatar
MasterG MasterG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
The old Bensonhurst site is now called "Full Circle: Oyster and Pizza Bar" The signage looks like its straight out of the late 80's, cursive writing and all.

I don't want to judge based on looks, but I do not high hopes based on just walking by it.
Is there really enough people wanting oysters to warrant it being a theme for a bar?
__________________
From the right side of the wrong side of the tracks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7926  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 2:09 PM
dazzlingdave88 dazzlingdave88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro View Post
Just checked out Pips website, looks like they're just opening tomorrow.

Wonder what the demand is like for these. I remember stopping by one in Edmonton (on Whyte?) and it was empty.
I went to one in Halifax and it was packed! It was a weekend around midnight.

They charged a $5 cover and served booze and small snacks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7927  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 3:41 PM
Riise's Avatar
Riise Riise is offline
City Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary | London
Posts: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
Seems like it might be a tough concept to make a success out of. Not sure I want to be playing a game and having conversation with friends while all the tables around us are playing Yahtzee and charades. Sounds distracting. Then again the majority of restaurants now have the music so loud that you can't hear a word your friends say and they seem to survive I guess.
It's not a printing press for money but I think the right owners/operators can pull it off.
__________________
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7928  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 6:19 PM
nick.flood's Avatar
nick.flood nick.flood is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,261
delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 5:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7929  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:38 PM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 5,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
What happened to Rusty Van Reddick? I miss all his reviews of new restaurants
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I was talking with him a couple months back, he decided it was time to move on from this forum.
Sorry to hear Rusty has left, hoping it is only temporary. I generally enjoyed his posts and he was a constant source of updates on eating establishments.
__________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7930  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 7:52 PM
Chealion Chealion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sunalta, Calgary
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Another board game cafe coming to Calgary called 'boxcar' located in the Radio Block in Victoria Park.
So 3 in 3 months. Wow.

1. Pips Board Game Cafe - now open. 2015 33rd Ave. SW (Marda Loop)
2. Metal Galaxy Social Games and Bistro - January. 4625 Macleod Trail SW
3. Boxcar Cafe - February. 1215 1st. St SW (Beltline)

h/t http://connect-more.ca/content/blog for the other options.

Hope one or more of them can succeed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7931  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 8:06 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,633
Rents drop, more diverse offerings can open up?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7932  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 8:53 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
Seems like it might be a tough concept to make a success out of. Not sure I want to be playing a game and having conversation with friends while all the tables around us are playing Yahtzee and charades. Sounds distracting. Then again the majority of restaurants now have the music so loud that you can't hear a word your friends say and they seem to survive I guess.
Yeah totally. Similar to when all you want is some late night Chinese food and you get this:

• Video Link
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7933  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 11:55 PM
Spring2008 Spring2008 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Mount Royal, Calgary
Posts: 5,147
There was at least a few of these in TO by the university, all pretty busy.

IIRC about $2.50/hr to play games, tried a couple I haven't played in ages while downing beers. Not a bad time at all.

Good to see this trend make its way down here. Was in TO a couple months ago, remember thinking why don't we have these in cgy?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chealion View Post
So 3 in 3 months. Wow.

1. Pips Board Game Cafe - now open. 2015 33rd Ave. SW (Marda Loop)
2. Metal Galaxy Social Games and Bistro - January. 4625 Macleod Trail SW
3. Boxcar Cafe - February. 1215 1st. St SW (Beltline)

h/t http://connect-more.ca/content/blog for the other options.

Hope one or more of them can succeed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7934  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 8:23 PM
Tarsus's Avatar
Tarsus Tarsus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,062
Not all Muslims are strict about Halal meats. I'm Muslim and usually eat Halal, but not always. I know other Muslims who don't bother at all trying to stick to Halal meats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Sorry dude, I thought you had mentioned being Muslim at one time, I didn't mean to out you. I know who you are in real life, and I know that you are of the Imaili faith, so therefore was surprised that you said you had eaten at Nando's, seeing as Nando's chicken isn't halal. Most Muslims don't eat at non-halal places, so I thought you were trying to pull a fast one. If you swear you've eaten there then i'll take your word for it.

BTW, I've eaten at Nando's and I like it. It's one of many great places to eat around the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7935  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 8:28 PM
Tarsus's Avatar
Tarsus Tarsus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,062
That was me. I wasn't trying to tie you to murders half way around the world. It was a bit of sarcasm to show that some people must really care about it. In reality the reason for the murder was probably not about the Roti itself. In that part of the world it's not unusual that women are killed by fathers and brothers for any small reason. It's not a Mulsim thing either, it also happens in India all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post

I'm particularly saddened by someone else on this thread somehow connecting my posts to a murder in Pakistan. That's completely uneducated and uncalled for. It wasn't you, but I highly suspect that your moves to make this discussion about diversity of food to be about religion to have moved things along in that negative and divisive direction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7936  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 4:34 PM
bt04ku's Avatar
bt04ku bt04ku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chealion View Post
So 3 in 3 months. Wow.

1. Pips Board Game Cafe - now open. 2015 33rd Ave. SW (Marda Loop)
2. Metal Galaxy Social Games and Bistro - January. 4625 Macleod Trail SW
3. Boxcar Cafe - February. 1215 1st. St SW (Beltline)

h/t http://connect-more.ca/content/blog for the other options.

Hope one or more of them can succeed.
The McLeod Trail one seems like it would be the least likely to succeed IMO (though it undoubtedly has the cheapest rent). This is the kind of place I'd try to put up near Banff Trail/16th Ave so you get the university traffic and a lot of people who don't have the space to have a lot of people playing board games but still want to be in a bar like setting.
__________________
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7937  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 10:51 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Appears as if Rosso Coffee Roasters will be one of the tenants in the Torode project on 17th Ave.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7938  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 3:21 PM
Fuzz's Avatar
Fuzz Fuzz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,421
This place:
https://goo.gl/maps/Y8gF6QqE72Q2
is going to be a Bakery/cafe. Can't remember the name, I ride by it every day, it starts with an "A" I think...They have been working at it for awhile, probably pouring tonnes of money into it for some reason. That space just never does well. I can't imagine this succeeding.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7939  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 4:22 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,633
Hey! Señor Frog's! What was it last?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7940  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 4:30 PM
Fuzz's Avatar
Fuzz Fuzz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,421
Spice Cafe. I think Sahara before that. I forgot that was the old Señor Frog's! Sooo long ago....
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.