HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7901  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 5:26 AM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
YES.

I like A&W. They have awesome onion rings.

Anyone have Carl's Jr. yet?
Yeah I invited my friend to come get 4 of their most 'out there' burgers and try them all. We were in the drive through line at least 40 mins

In a nutshell: McDonalds with fancier toppings on some of the burgers.
The meat itself is indistinguishable from McD's.

Don't wait in line.

We had the:
Big Carl - A Big Mac without the middle bread
El Diablo Thickburger - Jalapenos, Jalapeno cheese, and normally Jalapeno poppers but they were out of poppers
Teryaki burger - Teryaki glaze + grilled pineapple - not bad
Guacamole burger - tasty

But again, the Guacamole burger is like a McD's 1/4 lb BLT + some guac and Jalapeno cheese. Like if you made your own that way it would probably be almost indistinguishable from one bought at Carl's Jr

There is also something like 15+ items on their breakfast menu.

McD's with a bit more flavour.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums

Last edited by DizzyEdge; Dec 7, 2015 at 5:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7902  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 4:13 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Next time I'm there I'll keep an eye out for someone surfing SSP and Pinterest.
Hahaha. Yeah, I think I am one of 10 males I know on Pinterest. All about the architecture and interior design.

It's funny because it's true.
__________________
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7903  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 7:05 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Isn't that what most coffee shops are? I find it bizarre when places don't offer wifi in this day and age (Cafe Beano being another). Heck, I have gone and sat at Original Joes to have lunch and use the wifi to do work.

I get that it's a balance - they certainly don't want to encourage people sitting around all day while purchasing very little. But at the same time, the lack of wifi would discourage a lot of the "blogger" types from coming in - including at times of the day when it's not busy and they could use patrons.

Of course I am bias as I am one of those people (well not a blogger, but a PhD student - same sort of loitering habits ).
Sorry, I missed your reply.
While I understand the need for free wi-fi, I find it mildly annoying when all the available seats are taken by folks with empty mugs and laptops leeching the wifi.

A timed connection would help, but I suspect it would be a pain in the 🞵🞵🞵 to administer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7904  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 7:08 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Hahaha. Yeah, I think I am one of 10 males I know on Pinterest. All about the architecture and interior design.

It's funny because it's true.
Lucky guess on my part.

I can see who Pinterest could be a source for architecture and interior design as I'm on Pornhub to see what others are doing with their black leather couches.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7905  
Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 8:30 PM
sidepockets's Avatar
sidepockets sidepockets is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Weird question, but anyone know where you can get a taco salad in this city? Other than Wendy's which is basically a garden salad with chili dumped on it.
Fast Food/Take out is preferred, but I'm not sure if there even is any place.
Mucho Burrito offers a "burrito salad" where they basically take what you would have put in your tortilla (minus the rice) and dump it on top of a bed of romaine. But it is much more delicious than I have described.
__________________
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7906  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:43 AM
flipstah's Avatar
flipstah flipstah is offline
Aviary Masticator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Lucky guess on my part.

I can see who Pinterest could be a source for architecture and interior design as I'm on Pornhub to see what others are doing with their black leather couches.
Hahahaha.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7907  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:53 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Lucky guess on my part.

I can see who Pinterest could be a source for architecture and interior design as I'm on Pornhub to see what others are doing with their black leather couches.
This just made my day!
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7908  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 8:30 PM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,269
Blaze Pizza coming to Calgary

http://calgarybuzz.com/2015/12/blaze-pizza-calgary/

Sunridge location, and location in Mission (2020)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7909  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 8:20 PM
Deepstar's Avatar
Deepstar Deepstar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,291
Sorry dude, I thought you had mentioned being Muslim at one time, I didn't mean to out you. I know who you are in real life, and I know that you are of the Imaili faith, so therefore was surprised that you said you had eaten at Nando's, seeing as Nando's chicken isn't halal. Most Muslims don't eat at non-halal places, so I thought you were trying to pull a fast one. If you swear you've eaten there then i'll take your word for it.

BTW, I've eaten at Nando's and I like it. It's one of many great places to eat around the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
In all honesty, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I've never made such a statement.

I think you need to leave your religion conversation at the door, and if someone on the thread talks first person about eating a particular food, you need to take their word on it.

I'm particularly saddened by someone else on this thread somehow connecting my posts to a murder in Pakistan. That's completely uneducated and uncalled for. It wasn't you, but I highly suspect that your moves to make this discussion about diversity of food to be about religion to have moved things along in that negative and divisive direction.

Oh - and if you haven't tried Nandos, I highly recommend it. try the extra hot chicken - it may move you out of your bubble comfort zone, but I think you'll enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7910  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 9:49 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Checked out Home and Away on the weekend and as suspected it has nothing to do with the Australian soap opera, but is indeed a sports bar.

While we both found the food tasty and the service top notch, we did find it a bit pricey. We didn't order it but they have 3 piece fried chicken for $18 or a 12 piece bucket for $65. Not sure what sides that comes with.

I had the Cubana sandwich for $18 and found it tasty but didn't think it was worth the price.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7911  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 1:03 AM
bt04ku's Avatar
bt04ku bt04ku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Checked out Home and Away on the weekend and as suspected it has nothing to do with the Australian soap opera
__________________
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7912  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 1:45 AM
*Stardust* *Stardust* is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,062
What happened to Rusty Van Reddick? I miss all his reviews of new restaurants
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7913  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 3:03 PM
mersar's Avatar
mersar mersar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 10,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
What happened to Rusty Van Reddick? I miss all his reviews of new restaurants
I was talking with him a couple months back, he decided it was time to move on from this forum.
__________________

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7914  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 4:26 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Checked out Home and Away on the weekend and as suspected it has nothing to do with the Australian soap opera, but is indeed a sports bar.

While we both found the food tasty and the service top notch, we did find it a bit pricey. We didn't order it but they have 3 piece fried chicken for $18 or a 12 piece bucket for $65. Not sure what sides that comes with.

I had the Cubana sandwich for $18 and found it tasty but didn't think it was worth the price.
I too made it down there. Massive space for sure which may prove problematic in the long run. The execution of the food at the price point is awesome. Really really good quality stuff. As Ramsay mentioned the service is top notch too. But I would agree that the for some of the items the prices are a stretch.

I always struggle with restaurants where the appetizers are the same/similar price to mains. THe happy hour from 3-6PM is awesome with $4.50 beer, wine and well drinks. Plus I think that the kids meal is a winner. As a parent it's nice to have a few go to places where the kids can go and my wife and I can have a drink. They rarely eat off the kids menu but it's good to have.

Monday night is chicken night, where bucket meals are $50 and includes sides. According to their Instagram page it feeds 4.
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7915  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 5:41 PM
nick.flood's Avatar
nick.flood nick.flood is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,261
delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 5:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7916  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 6:09 PM
UofC.engineer's Avatar
UofC.engineer UofC.engineer is offline
Laura Palmer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Peaks, Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
That's unfortunate. His critiques and information added a lot to this thread.
Yup, and not much else.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7917  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 10:46 PM
dazzlingdave88 dazzlingdave88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
That's unfortunate. His critiques and information added a lot to this thread.
I agree. He had more of a pulse on the new establishments than most of us and was often checking it out soon after opening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7918  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 8:57 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Another board game cafe coming to Calgary called 'boxcar' located in the Radio Block in Victoria Park.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7919  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 10:39 PM
googspecial googspecial is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: YYC
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Another board game cafe coming to Calgary called 'boxcar' located in the Radio Block in Victoria Park.
Another? Where's the first one?!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7920  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 10:50 PM
bt04ku's Avatar
bt04ku bt04ku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by googspecial View Post
Another? Where's the first one?!
Marda Loop. Pips Boardgame Cafe.
__________________
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:40 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.