HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7881  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 8:55 PM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,273
I tried Modern Steak the other day and was impressed. My steak was done perfectly, and the side dishes and apps were all good. Apps were Philly cheese steak egg rolls, and the Prawn Bong.
The Prawn Bong was great....I just about fell out of my chair when I ate it.Just that alone would bring me back. Side dish of Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms were good, especially the Brussels Sprouts w maple/bacon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7882  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 1:55 AM
mwalker_mw mwalker_mw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTING View Post
That's too bad if true as it was one of my go-to places. Oddly you can get really good Indian/PK food at Great Canadian Pizza downtown. They have a reasonable selection, also they have haleem (ask for it as its not on the menu and its only made a few times a week) which is usually really tough to find.

I am unsure if they do delivery but they probably do. Also, there are at least 2 locations downtown. One is on 4th ave and 5th street and the other is right next to crack macs on 7th ave (never been to this one though).
Interesting about GCP...

I think the signs at Surya did hint at the replacement being similar cuisine so maybe they are just refreshing themselves...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7883  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 9:08 PM
Spring2008 Spring2008 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Mount Royal, Calgary
Posts: 5,147
Nice - Five Guys is pretty good.

17th Ave update:

Brown's Social House, Home & Away, and 5S17 (Japanese/French resto) recently opened.

New Japanese/Italian resto opening ~ 5st (can't remember the name)

Trolley Five Brewery and Mill Street Brewery both scheduled to open this spring.

Una's expansion (quick service/deli) set to open in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
December Mission news:

- Blaze Pizza will be taking the large restaurant space on the SE corner of 20/20. It is the first Calgary restaurant for the quickly growing fast-casual American chain. The concept lets customers build their own pizza with a variety of toppings - think Subway meets pizza. I've been to a similar place in Montreal and enjoyed it, but I can't help but think a full service restaurant with bar would've made better use of the patio space on that end cap.
- Also in 20/20. Five Guys Burgers will be taking one of the last remaining CRUs - adjacent to Blaze Pizza I believe.
- Signage for "The Mission" is up in the former Candela space. From the group behind Anejo, it will have a contemporary international menu and is slated to be a more casual spot than Candela.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7884  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 2:57 AM
bt04ku's Avatar
bt04ku bt04ku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
A victim of the downturn? Or just a poor concept?

This article would suggest the latter, but perhaps it may have worked better in a booming economy.

I liked the concept, but the couple of times I was there I'm not sure if the execution really matched up with it (or at least not my interpretation of it anyway). Weren't really sure if you were in a restaurant or a bakeshop/cafe so it never seemed to be good as either. To me the latter is a lot less formal, basically a coffee shop with more offerings and space and caters to those who want to be in-and-out quickly or who just want to just hang out for a while. Coffee shops have mastered this coexistence, sometimes to a fault.

Instead Corbeaux also tried to put a restaurant setting right in the middle. Meant neither the in-and-out aspect was all that welcoming and the 'just hang out a while' atmosphere wasn't either. Bit too much of a mish-mash that had to be pricey because of how expensive the land was and how little of the space was really usable. An expensive place like that isn't going to do super well in this economy.
__________________
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7885  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 5:12 PM
artvandelay's Avatar
artvandelay artvandelay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The City of Cows
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt04ku View Post
I liked the concept, but the couple of times I was there I'm not sure if the execution really matched up with it (or at least not my interpretation of it anyway). Weren't really sure if you were in a restaurant or a bakeshop/cafe so it never seemed to be good as either. To me the latter is a lot less formal, basically a coffee shop with more offerings and space and caters to those who want to be in-and-out quickly or who just want to just hang out for a while. Coffee shops have mastered this coexistence, sometimes to a fault.

Instead Corbeaux also tried to put a restaurant setting right in the middle. Meant neither the in-and-out aspect was all that welcoming and the 'just hang out a while' atmosphere wasn't either. Bit too much of a mish-mash that had to be pricey because of how expensive the land was and how little of the space was really usable. An expensive place like that isn't going to do super well in this economy.
I'd largely agree with that assessment. Interestingly enough, I heard yesterday that a coworker was kicked out while having drinks after dinner so they could turn over the table. This is after spending a significant amount on dinner and buying another bottle of wine. It's tough to succeed when you're doing that to customers.

Anyway, I hope something goes in there that makes better use of the great patio space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7886  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 3:52 AM
flipstah's Avatar
flipstah flipstah is offline
Aviary Masticator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 361
It was weird to see Corbeaux trying to cannibalize Analog Cafe sales so one definitely had to give.

Their food offering was meh. I was more into the pastries.

Brown's Social House on 17th looks bumping! Me likey.

I still haven't gone to Blanco yet but Native Tongues was a fancy, upscale taqueria (Tu Tierra is my go-to).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7887  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 4:18 PM
Riise's Avatar
Riise Riise is offline
City Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary | London
Posts: 3,195
I'm really looking forward to trying 5S17 when I'm in town over the holidays, the concept sounds interesting and pictures look delicious.

Brown's Social in Grande Prairie is my local when I trek into GP and it's a nice joint. The décor and atmosphere make me forget that I'm in GP and their Alaska Highway gravy is beyond tasty.

It's unconfirmed on the planning side but I'm being led to believe by someone ITK that Nando's is joining this 17th Ave party...
__________________
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7888  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 8:56 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt04ku View Post
I liked the concept, but the couple of times I was there I'm not sure if the execution really matched up with it (or at least not my interpretation of it anyway). Weren't really sure if you were in a restaurant or a bakeshop/cafe so it never seemed to be good as either. To me the latter is a lot less formal, basically a coffee shop with more offerings and space and caters to those who want to be in-and-out quickly or who just want to just hang out for a while. Coffee shops have mastered this coexistence, sometimes to a fault.

Instead Corbeaux also tried to put a restaurant setting right in the middle. Meant neither the in-and-out aspect was all that welcoming and the 'just hang out a while' atmosphere wasn't either. Bit too much of a mish-mash that had to be pricey because of how expensive the land was and how little of the space was really usable. An expensive place like that isn't going to do super well in this economy.
It didn't help that they didn't offer wifi. I would have gone and worked in the cafe/bakery shop portion had wifi been available. Alas it was not, so I never went there.

In other news, near the intersection of 17th Ave Sw and 4th Street SW the building next to the one that houses Pizza Boy Shawarma has been undergoing renovations. As I was walking by today I saw that the facade has been exposed and signage has gone up for..............A&W.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7889  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 9:13 PM
Spring2008 Spring2008 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Mount Royal, Calgary
Posts: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
In other news, near the intersection of 17th Ave Sw and 4th Street SW the building next to the one that houses Pizza Boy Shawarma has been undergoing renovations. As I was walking by today I saw that the facade has been exposed and signage has gone up for..............A&W.
I forgot to mention that - usually i wouldn't care but they've done a pretty major structure plus cladding re-design to what was previously an abandoned building on 17th. That black Alucobond plus the grey bricks looks a lot better than what was there. I like it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7890  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 9:37 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
It didn't help that they didn't offer wifi. I would have gone and worked in the cafe/bakery shop portion had wifi been available. Alas it was not, so I never went there.
Free Wi-fi would have turned it into a Purple Perk but with edible desserts and drinkable coffee. Place full of "bloggers" who sit there all day taking up space and buying very little.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7891  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 9:52 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
I forgot to mention that - usually i wouldn't care but they've done a pretty major structure plus cladding re-design to what was previously an abandoned building on 17th. That black Alucobond plus the grey bricks looks a lot better than what was there. I like it.
I agree. Sometimes chains are good for putting lots of money into a building. Most chains wouldn't be caught dead in a run-down building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Free Wi-fi would have turned it into a Purple Perk but with edible desserts and drinkable coffee. Place full of "bloggers" who sit there all day taking up space and buying very little.
I am one of those guys, ha! Analog staff know me well, but I typically buy more than just a coffee. Getting a seat in that place is nuts.
__________________
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7892  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 10:28 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Free Wi-fi would have turned it into a Purple Perk but with edible desserts and drinkable coffee. Place full of "bloggers" who sit there all day taking up space and buying very little.
Isn't that what most coffee shops are? I find it bizarre when places don't offer wifi in this day and age (Cafe Beano being another). Heck, I have gone and sat at Original Joes to have lunch and use the wifi to do work.

I get that it's a balance - they certainly don't want to encourage people sitting around all day while purchasing very little. But at the same time, the lack of wifi would discourage a lot of the "blogger" types from coming in - including at times of the day when it's not busy and they could use patrons.

Of course I am bias as I am one of those people (well not a blogger, but a PhD student - same sort of loitering habits ).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7893  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 10:58 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Weird question, but anyone know where you can get a taco salad in this city? Other than Wendy's which is basically a garden salad with chili dumped on it.
Fast Food/Take out is preferred, but I'm not sure if there even is any place.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7894  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 11:22 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,633
^ The Den at the U of C has a good one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7895  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:12 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post

I am one of those guys, ha! Analog staff know me well, but I typically buy more than just a coffee. Getting a seat in that place is nuts.
Next time I'm there I'll keep an eye out for someone surfing SSP and Pinterest.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7896  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:19 PM
bigcanuck bigcanuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Weird question, but anyone know where you can get a taco salad in this city? Other than Wendy's which is basically a garden salad with chili dumped on it.
Fast Food/Take out is preferred, but I'm not sure if there even is any place.
Taco Time has them - beef, chicken or veggie I believe. Comes in a taco-shell bowl. Marcello's downtown also has them - comes in a plastic container.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7897  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:29 PM
Riise's Avatar
Riise Riise is offline
City Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary | London
Posts: 3,195
Has anyone been to The Derrick? It's opened where Opus use to be on 8th/Stephen Ave years ago. I'm thinking about having a gathering there and wouldn't mind hearing some reviews.
__________________
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7898  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:19 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Sweet thanks guys
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7899  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 7:30 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Anyone know what is happening in the space adjacent (north) of National on 17th. Looks like there is some activity going on and a building permit placed in the window.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7900  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 5:04 AM
flipstah's Avatar
flipstah flipstah is offline
Aviary Masticator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 361
YES.

I like A&W. They have awesome onion rings.

Anyone have Carl's Jr. yet?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:17 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.