Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog
Just curious, how many Canadian cities actually have the international airport associated with them actually located within their municipal boundaries - as a cutoff point, let's make the municipal population count start at 500,000 (not talking CMA population here). I know Calgary does and Edmonton does not and I thought Vancouver's was but I learned that Vancouver Internatinal Airport is not actually located in Vancouver. What of Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Hamilton or any other Canadian city that has more than 500,000 residents.
|
In the US, municipalities try very hard to annex the land that the airport sits on and, in some cases, own the airport itself. This is because a lot of municipal revenue is derived from sales taxes, and a busy airport - especially a hub - is basically a cash cow of outside people paying sales taxes on all the goods and services consumed within the airport (e.g. food, hotels, rental cars, etc.), but neither using city services nor being able to vote in municipal elections.