Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie
As we have seen YMM in particular is just getting smashed with huge declines in traffic. I'd be surprised if AC maintains three daily and WS maintains its daily flight to YMM from YVR next summer.
|
Air traffic might be declining but AC removed the late YMM to YYC flight they had at ~10:55pm and that was a huge loss to anyone working shift in town and a huge mistake. There are a tremendous number of people who still work at site on 12 hour shifts and the busses at site generally leave at ~7:30 and do not arrive into town until ~8:30-9:00PM. The 10:55PM flight allowed a person to fly out of YMM on the same day they worked, and that is a huge thing to people who work shift and normally have 4, 5, or 6 days off.
Cutting a flight at some times makes sense, but this particular flight is one where many of the people who flew it will not simply jump to another flight. I was a regular on that 10:55PM flight as I left work with my luggage straight onto the company supplied bussing from site, went to the stop nearest to the airport and caught a cab from that stop to the airport and flew out on the same day I worked. That way I actually saved an entire "travel day".
Without that flight I am not likely to simply change to flying out the next day, more than likely I will simply commute a lot less and stay in Fort McMurray during my days off. The inability to fly out on the day I work greatly reduces the time I have in Calgary between the time I arrive and the time I need to leave and it becomes more of a hassle. The removal of that particular flight is going to lead to a lot of passengers like me choosing to fly a lot less altogether instead of switching to a different flight. It would have been far more wise to cancel a mid-day flight, as they are normally far easier to switch to and from for most passengers. The 10:55PM flight was a niche flight and catered to a very specific need for many of the people in Fort McMurray.