Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton
I see that area developing separately as First Side develops a more distinct identity. First Avenue is one of the undiscovered wonders of Downtown, IMHO - easily the narrowest and most intimate major street Downtown. Not much of anything in terms of retail back there but Iron Gate and a Thai place at either end, but with the new Holiday Inn, and the Graphic Arts conversion, there should start to be more non Point Park activity back there.
|
I'm interested to see how that all develops, but I am afraid Point Park's campus is going to serve to cut First Side up into two distinct halves. The university really owns everything around Wood now and I am not sure it will be possible to maintain a sense of continuity through there.
I've been really impressed with the way the design of Poros pulled Market Square into that alley/Market Street. In contrast, Ruth Chris occupies a similar position on the other side of PPG place, and yet the design doesn't at all have that effect, and last I knew the other side was mostly a brokerage. I'm imagining if there was a Poros-style treatment on both sides of that part of Market Street, and something similar along the 4 PPG side of the plaza (I don't actually know 4 PPG at all--could its first floor be used that way?), suddenly you could have continuity between Market Square and BoA, which brings me too . . .
Quote:
|
I think Boulevard of the Allies is honestly the worst single street downtown, however, and I don't see any easy way to fix it.
|
I'd start with the suggestion of making it into an actual boulevard with a nice median of some sort. Put an inviting, pedestrian friendly "gateway" of some sort into the open lots along Market Street south of BoA, plus the aforementioned Poros-style redesigns along Market Street north of BoA, and it may not be such a psychological barrier.
Whether that actually means that area and Market Square would be part of one thing or two things ultimately would not be so important to me. I just think there is potential there to have a real continuity of activity.