Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton
I think, as great as Market Square has become, it's basically hemmed in on most sides by larger-scale buildings which don't have pedestrian-friendly street levels. So you see spill over onto the far sides of the framing blocks, but not really any further. The one exception I can still see is Wood Street. The new PNC building took out one side of a block, but there's still one and a half blocks of low-scale buildings in splitting distance of Market Square, many of which are getting facade renovations right now. I could easily see a major resurgence here, but for the most part I think there's greater potential now elsewhere, like the Cultural District and First Side.
|
Forbes Avenue could have been great all the way up to Smithfield, but we are letting it slip away between PNC Tower and the Point Park student theater. That's a real shame.
Anyway, I think there is long-term potential to tie in the area around Market Street between BoA and Fort Pitt/Stanwix and Point Park. You've got some cool buildings and lots of infill possibilities over there. In fact, that Iron Gate Inn we were just discussing is illustrative of some of the possibilities.
However, to make that work in conjunction with Market Square, versus really being its own thing, you would have to be smart about bridging BoA and maybe also PPG Place. Fortunately you would have those open lots on both sides of Market, along the southern side of BoA, to work with.