Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl
So what would be the Vancouver equivalent of the Sun Life Building ? Or the Windsor Station ? Or the great appartement buildings on Sherbrooke street like Le Château ? Or the Ritz Carlton ? Or City Hall ? Or the Old Royal Bank Buildings on St-Jacques ? And all those other very ornate buildings all over Old Montreal ? And the historic Bank of Montreal HQ on Place d'Armes ? Christ Church Cathedral ? St-Patrick basilica ? The Marie-Reine-Du-Monde cathedral ?The old historic department stores like Eaton or the Bay ? Or the NY Life Insurance building and Aldred and Notre-Dame Basilica, also on Place d'Armes ? Or the Custom house on McGill ? Or the Old Trunk building on the same street ? And all the religious grey stones buildings all over town ? And what about the Museum of Fine Arts, the institutional buildings of Maisonneuve, including the Marché Maisonneuve ? The old Bell Telephone building on Cote du Beaver Hall ? The Old Court house adjacent to City Hall ? The Ernest Cormier court house in front of it ? Château Viger ? Archives Nationales also on Viger square ? The Dominion Square building ? I could go on and on... If there is one thing that Montreal doesn't lack is grand architecture.
|
I'm paying more attention here to skyscrapers. And notice I specified "until the 1920's". Our first grand-scale towers were in the late 1920's, Vancouver's were in the 1920's. Vancouver was a very young city, and it grew so fast. I believe the money-men involved in the banks and railways of eastern Canada were the main investors in vancouver, and it always amazes me how glorious they built what was back then a small and isolated outpost.
They built architecture that was way out of scale, Montreal didn't have a skyscraper to match until the RBC built their palace on St-James street.
I really like downtown Vancouver, moreso than my hometown Toronto, and my family's hometown of Toronto. I'm sorry if this hurt anyone.