Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH
I think we need to view this very long term--the development pattern in East Liberty will likely last for many decades, and in that time there will be more than enough cycling of East Liberty workers to allow people to move to places with convenient access to East Liberty.
|
This may be true. But nearly everywhere with convenient access to East Liberty also has access to Downtown/Oakland which is nearly as convenient - particularly given the East Busway connects all of these areas together. At most East Liberty shaves perhaps 10 minutes off a potential transit-based commute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH
So first, I am actually not at all sure that transit access is better to Oakland specifically, versus Downtown. Oakland as yet has no actual rapid transit link, and is therefore a pain to get to from much of the transit footprint. [Edit: by the way, it is not just parts of the East End of the City that has better transit access to East Liberty--it is a big portion of the overall transit system extending out into the suburbs.]
|
I think you're forgetting the P3 here. Yes, it dumps onto surface streets blocks too early in Oakland, but it allows all the communities which are on the East Busway's route to have quicker access to Oakland than surface routes would allow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH
Second, I think this argument proves too much. No doubt Downtown is the best single place for transit access in the metro area, but not every single new office unit to come over the next couple decades can be located in Downtown--there is not enough vacant land, and Downtown would be too expensive anyway for many possible employers. So, there will in fact be lots of new office space being built outside of Downtown in coming years.
|
By building office space outside of Downtown (and I'm including here "Greater Downtown" areas like the North Shore, Lower Strip, and Civic Arena site) you are by definition reducing demand somewhat for Downtown office space. This might be a great thing for those employers, as they have cheaper options. It doesn't mean it's by definition the best outcome for the city at large though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH
And once you start thinking about locations other than Downtown to build new office space, then Downtown East Liberty starts looking as good or better than most possible locations from a transit perspective.
|
I'll admit it's better than most. I think it's way better than say South Side Works - I think the office park element of it was very ill-founded. Certainly it's better than the suburbs. I still think East Liberty is better off as being a dense residential + retail locus rather than a major employment locus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH
Undoubtedly some of the people living in East Liberty apartments are also going to drive to work rather than take transit.
|
Yes. I think one of the biggest flaws in the TOD apartment complex was the decision not to reduce the parking minimums for the apartments. By providing every unit with parking, you effectively turn busway access into an added perk to a wide repertoire of other amenities, not an essential part of the package for car-free or "car-light" households.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH
And again, I would suggest you also have to factor in walking and biking commutes--which some of the East Liberty apartment dwellers could have if there were more office space in East Liberty.
|
From an urban planning perspective, walking and biking commutes are great. I bike to work myself much of the year. But from planning a transit system with high farebox recovery, they cause just as much of an issue with lost revenue as driving does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH
That seems inaccurate to me. The highest transit usage in the United States by far is in the NYC/NJ area, and there are many, many different job centers within that area, with the major ones typically having their own transit nodes. Next I believe is the Bay Area--same deal. A close third would be the DC area--same deal again.
|
These areas have high transit utilization almost entirely due to their core areas, and to a lesser extent major satellite cities. Suburb-to-suburb commutes cannot be serviced by transit in any real way. I know people who live in Northern New Jersey who talk about the "gridlock everywhere" issue, because every single borough decided it needed its own office parks and industrial parks for tax revenue, meaning people have no choice but to drive, so everyone at 5-6 is trying to get from one random employment location to another random residence. Obviously the issue with secondary employment nodes within a core city isn't as dramatic, because usable transit options exist for many people. But East Liberty is really only convenient to the East End, not all of Pittsburgh, meaning by definition it's drawing from a smaller pool.