Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton
It seems worth noting that the Garfield Business district is really only continuous to Evaline. Beyond this you do have storefronts, but lots of gaps due to the two stands of rowhouses on the north side of Penn, parking lots, institutional buildings, etc. I expect there will be more infill along this strip as time passes, but if anything I expect that you'll instead see the area east of Aiken slowly being associated more with East Liberty than Garfield.
|
Although I agree with all of that, to me, at least, there is always just enough on one side of the block or the other to keep some sort of minimal continuity going, whereas at Negley it feels like it suddenly breaks open. But as you note, hopefully good development up to the Negley intersection would inspire more infill further west as well.
Quote:
|
I dunno. I simply think that from a transit perspective, building more apartments so close to the busway makes more sense than offices, given th location. Far more people will ride the EBA from East Liberty to Downtown or Oakland to work than would commute using the EBA (from where?) to East Liberty to work.
|
So I would first note that I think walking and biking commutes are important too, and adding more office to East Liberty would give more people living nearby an opportunity for that sort of commute.
I'd also note there are in fact a lot of communities that have decent transit links to East Liberty. Anywhere east of East Liberty on the EBA, for example, or any area which is served by one of the PXX routes, has a better transit link to East Liberty than Downtown or in fact Oakland. And there are a whole bunch more bus routes serving East Liberty (a majority of the 70s and 80s, I believe):
http://www.portauthority.org/paacmaps/images/SystemMap.jpg
It is true those people could all get to Downtown or Oakland eventually as well, but if you can save some people something like 15 minutes each way each day, plus in some cases avoid the cost of a transfer each way, that can add up to a lot of benefit and would likely increase ridership.
Further, as noted I think more office would support more amenities, which would encourage more residential as well.
Finally, I would assume East Liberty office would be a bit less expensive than Downtown or Oakland. So, that might draw some employers that would otherwise end up somewhere with less walking/biking/transit potential than East Liberty.