HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #14441  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 11:41 PM
Dr. Avis Dr. Avis is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hampton Twp, PA
Posts: 11
I'm not sure what I find worse, Toby Keith's place not coming here or that ugly building being built in downtown. I'm so bothered they cancelled the one reason I'd actually have to go into the city. I'm happy I won't have to see that new monstrosity daily!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14442  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 11:59 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
The mesh is called Kaynemaile.
Apparently that is a polycarbonate product (PDF link):

http://www.kaynemaile.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Kaynemaile_Brochure_2015.pdf

I remain dubious that will look good in an application so large.

Last edited by BrianTH; Oct 14, 2015 at 12:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14443  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:01 AM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
MV+A architects has been the architect of all the urban Walmarts in the DC area. To me, that is proof positive that the Walmart rumors are true. This is pretty exciting, actually, all the urban Walmarts done so far look really great, if you ask me.
I do believe an urban Walmart will be built as well. Like you said, done well it is an asset not a pock mark on urban Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14444  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:07 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
What do you guys make of this report?
Not too surprising, I guess. Basically the report seems to be suggesting the City is not quite as relatively white as the Metro, and that appears to be in part because of the relatively large Asian population.

This makes sense. We know Pittsburgh largely missed out on the Hispanic immigration wave, but it is participating more in the growing Asian immigration wave. Among other things, the Asian immigration wave is a lot more educated on average than the Hispanic immigration was, and it is not surprising given everything else we know about the region that Asians are disproportionately likely to end up in the core area.

In short--Asiaburgh is a real thing, and goes along with the City rapidly becoming younger, better educated, and more diverse.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14445  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:14 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
MV+A architects has been the architect of all the urban Walmarts in the DC area. To me, that is proof positive that the Walmart rumors are true. This is pretty exciting, actually, all the urban Walmarts done so far look really great, if you ask me.
Agreed. A DC-style mixed-use project with a Walmart would be a nice project for that location.

But I wouldn't mind if the unit count was a bit higher . . .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14446  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:45 AM
Gilamonster Gilamonster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 463
I'm quite disappointed that a WalMart is looking more and more likely for East Liberty. It will certainly make a killing there, though. Once that thing opens, you will be able to slowly watch a nice chunk of small businesses in the vicinity close their doors for good.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14447  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:59 AM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Avis View Post
I'm not sure what I find worse, Toby Keith's place not coming here or that ugly building being built in downtown. I'm so bothered they cancelled the one reason I'd actually have to go into the city. I'm happy I won't have to see that new monstrosity daily!
Damn baby, does this mean you won't be turning tricks on the Northside on Tuesday nights anymore???

Toby's place woulda been the perfect spot to meet up with your fine — when I'm in town... coupla 22oz Lime-a-ritas, coupla 22oz Coors Lights for moi... some poppers, maybe some nachos... lil' bit of boot-scootin' to get you all lubed up... then head out to the parking lot and into the back of my Vandura. Even give you cab fare for the ride home, you dirty little North Hills mama. Maybe Toby's ain't opening on the Northside, but please keep on coming into the city for your Tues nite East Ohio St/Brighton Ave circuit!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14448  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:03 AM
Urbana's Avatar
Urbana Urbana is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
I'm quite disappointed that a WalMart is looking more and more likely for East Liberty. It will certainly make a killing there, though. Once that thing opens, you will be able to slowly watch a nice chunk of small businesses in the vicinity close their doors for good.
I am not so sure about that. You usually see those kind of circumstances in small towns. There are already tons of Walmarts in the vicinity of the east end - not to mention the existing Target that already would have had that effect if it was going to come.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14449  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:16 AM
Dr. Avis Dr. Avis is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hampton Twp, PA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Damn baby, does this mean you won't be turning tricks on the Northside on Tuesday nights anymore???

Toby's place woulda been the perfect spot to meet up with your fine — when I'm in town... coupla 22oz Lime-a-ritas, coupla 22oz Coors Lights for moi... some poppers, maybe some nachos... lil' bit of boot-scootin' to get you all lubed up... then head out to the parking lot and into the back of my Vandura. Even give you cab fare for the ride home, you dirty little North Hills mama. Maybe Toby's ain't opening on the Northside, but please keep on coming into the city for your Tues nite East Ohio St/Brighton Ave circuit!
Wouldn't know since I've never done that because I have morals...

A Wal Mart in East Liberty? How intriguing....I already have a large one here in Hampton so I have no need for that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14450  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:47 AM
JVC JVC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 274
walmart, target, home depot - fine, that's the way people shop now

does anybody remember urban planning?

manhattan would be nothing without central park (or washington square park)
pittsburgh would be nothing without point state park (or market square)
ligonier would be nothing with the diamond

east liberty needs a park, a public square

park and parking lot share the same etymology

PICK A CITY OWNED PARKING LOT IN EAST LIBERTY AND MAKE IT A PARK, A PUBLIC SQAURE - NOW


Last edited by JVC; Oct 14, 2015 at 2:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14451  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 2:12 AM
Private D Private D is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Avis View Post
Wouldn't know since I've never done that because I have morals...

A Wal Mart in East Liberty? How intriguing....I already have a large one here in Hampton so I have no need for that.
Yeah baby, but I'll give you a larger one in East Liberty, you dirty little Hampton ho!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14452  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 2:23 AM
WillyC WillyC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 100
I'm surprisingly warm to the LED board. It's not facing Market Square so it won't hurt the ambiance of the square. If any part of the city is going to have that Times Square feel, this is it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14453  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 4:02 AM
Minivan Werner Minivan Werner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 498
Downtown could use more of a cyberpunk vibe.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14454  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 4:13 AM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh n’ at
Posts: 15,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Avis View Post
Wouldn't know since I've never done that because I have morals...

A Wal Mart in East Liberty? How intriguing....I already have a large one here in Hampton so I have no need for that.
Wow Hampton, like Fox Chapels second cousin whom nobody at the family reunion wants to associate with. You are so painfully obvious a troll. Please go back to hating urban living in the comments section of the Pittsburgh Post Gazettes facebook page or extolling the greatness of generic suburban living on city data. Thanks.

Last edited by photoLith; Oct 14, 2015 at 4:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14455  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 4:58 AM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
Downtown could use more of a cyberpunk vibe.

I personally love that type of thing. But I also request the on-street walk up eateries where Decker eats.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14456  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 10:44 AM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Please don't feed the troll.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14457  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 10:54 AM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin' in The Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill, Pittsburgh
Posts: 12,488


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14458  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:35 PM
eschaton eschaton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Just a reminder, but here is what it originally looked like:

Something didn't seem right about this picture initially. Where are the historic buildings behind where the McDonald's is today? They should have been standing on the block by then.

I'm pretty sure this picture is taken from Market Square. All the other buildings in the shot are gone - the foreground ones for PPG Place, and the one in the background is the old Wabash building, which was demolished for Gateway Center. The 1923 lot maps show a McCann's grocery in Market Square right where the three-story building on the left of the photo is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
This is pretty exciting, actually, all the urban Walmarts done so far look really great, if you ask me.
I'd rather die than shop in a Wal Mart (feel the same way about Whole Foods) but if it's built urban format, it's not like it will be a big detriment to the built form of the neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
I'm quite disappointed that a WalMart is looking more and more likely for East Liberty. It will certainly make a killing there, though. Once that thing opens, you will be able to slowly watch a nice chunk of small businesses in the vicinity close their doors for good.
Agreed. I think it will actually hasten the gentrification of the business district along Penn Avenue. The remaining lower-income people in the neighborhood won't shop as much at places like Rainbow, which will cause them to close. This will leave a lot of retail space available for things like expensive bars, boutiques, and restaurants.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14459  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:47 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is offline
Eurosceptic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'd rather die than shop in a Wal Mart (feel the same way about Whole Foods) but if it's built urban format, it's not like it will be a big detriment to the built form of the neighborhood.
.
Interesting... as these are two national retailers that seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14460  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:56 PM
BrianTH BrianTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
I am not so sure about that. You usually see those kind of circumstances in small towns. There are already tons of Walmarts in the vicinity of the east end - not to mention the existing Target that already would have had that effect if it was going to come.
This is more or less my thinking as well. I'm not the biggest fan of Walmart, but it is likely better from a public policy perspective for East Enders to go to one in East Liberty rather than trek out to Waterworks et al. And local consumers would likely benefit from Target getting some price competition.

There may be a few other businesses left in East Liberty that compete in that space (although off hand I am not sure what those might be), but I suspect the overall net effect on East Liberty commerce would be more crowding in than crowding out. Just anecdotally, our household certainly started spending more at other East Liberty establishments once the Target opened, because that is the sort of store that will anchor a trip for us.

Of course big picture, that is just moving around retail activity--the extra money we now spend in East Liberty is less money being spent in Monroeville, the Waterfront, and so on. But to bring the conversation full circle, it is a net win for public policy to re-concentrate some such activity where residential densities are higher, there is good public transit service, and so on. And in fact in the process of doing so in this case, apparently it is helping to finance additional residential density, which further enhances that positive effect.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:42 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.