Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277
At the end of the day, there will always be racist people. For the good of everyone on board, it would probably be best if a racist individual was not sitting next to you for the flight. You would probably be uncomfortable. The person next to you would be uncomfortable. The individual in question went about his business in a fairly respectful manner. He was simply asking around to sit somewhere else, when the women in question got angry. If someone is going to be bigoted, racist, or discriminatory, it is best they conduct themselves in a manner that is respectful.
I can see why it would be cathartic to call them out, publicly shame them, go to the media and expose them, and marginalize their attitudes as much as possible. But at the same time, it wasn't like he was calling her names, being obvious that he thinks less of women, or being disrespectful to her in any way beyond not engaging her in a conversation.
The anger and media outrage seems quite lopsided towards vilifying a guy who was, at the end of the day, politely trying to work around his own beliefs.
|
Yes I agree with that. If someone was uttering racial or sexist slurs the airline would need to promptly step up and advised that their code of conduct does not permit such behaviour and that all passengers and staff needs to behave in a respectful manner toward one another. But I don't consider it appropriate for a private business to be moralizing or condescending to its customers, even by taking a stance I agree with. A company isn't their parent, teacher, spiritual leader, babysitter, or anyone else in such a position. After all, just because at this moment they may be taking a moral stance I agree with, the next moment they may be moralizing with ME about something and making me feel discriminated against. Nope, I'll happily stick to neutral.