HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


View Poll Results: How Will You Vote On Election Day?
Conservative 50 21.65%
Liberal 117 50.65%
NDP 46 19.91%
Green 9 3.90%
BQ 6 2.60%
Other 3 1.30%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #421  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:41 PM
*Stardust* *Stardust* is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,062
NDP has been losing steam at the polls I hope it's just a temporary dip. Mulcair needs to bring his A-game to the next couple of debates.
     
     
  #422  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 9:42 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Completely agree!

"We don't even know what they're going to suggest, but whatever it is, we can already say we'll be totally opposed to it."

Extremely silly behavior from both NDP and LPC. I'd even say unbelievable, but in politics this type of BS unfortunately doesn't surprise me.

This purely childish attitude has me thinking that both Mulcair and Trudeau are Just Not Ready. (Actually not kidding.) Is it too much to ask to have adults in Parliament? (This just said, I have to point out my home riding elected a teenager last time, ironically.)

Why would you topple the CPC immediately if they're the ones who just got the most seats from Canadians? They deserve a fair shot at policy-making... at least wait 'till they (try to) do something inacceptable to you! This advance announcement is pure nonsense.
The NDP and Liberals are simply trying to shore up their support. If they come out and say "yes we will work within a coalition" that will likely lead to more strategic voting on the left. If the the NDP and Liberals are likely to work together anyway - what does it matter which one you vote for? If they come out and say "we might work with Harper" that may lead people to the other party that won't... etc. etc.

Both the NDP and Liberal supporters have basically zero support for Harper. At this point saying you won't work with him isn't going to hurt them among their supporters, and may actually galvanize support.

Also, if the tables were turned, I cannot imagine Stephen Harper saying anything any different, so I don't get the criticisms.
     
     
  #423  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:03 PM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
NDP has been losing steam at the polls I hope it's just a temporary dip. Mulcair needs to bring his A-game to the next couple of debates.
You mean a great big bag of other people's stuff?
     
     
  #424  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:05 PM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Mulcair supports the status quo - i.e. a woman can wear the veil while taking the oath as long as she unveils for officials prior to the oath to establish her identity.
A CBC poll, yes a CBC poll suggests that over 75% of Canadians (91% of Quebecers) are against that. Harper's trump card.

Last edited by Migs; Sep 23, 2015 at 10:50 PM.
     
     
  #425  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:12 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,323
Finally found a video of the exchange. I think Seamus handled this well. And, given my political views, I love that this sort of thing is still the very first questions that came up in the debate.

https://www.facebook.com/cbcnl/videos/10153683521962174/
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #426  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:18 PM
ssiguy ssiguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
I'm voting NDP (I live in Peter Julian's riding and he's pretty much a shoe-in to get in) but I'd be fine with a Liberal minority. If I lived in a riding where the NDP and Liberals were closer I'd vote more strategically so that the Conservatives don't get in, but I don't so I won't.
You perfectly exemplify what I said..............you will vote with conviction if your choice has a good chance of winning but will use pragmatism when casting your ballot.......you will vote strategically to oust Harper.

Current daily polls do not take strategic voting into account.............they get the responses of who people want to win but not necessarily who they will vote for and that is a VERY important distinction.

This is why I stand by my forecast.............a Liberal minority government.
     
     
  #427  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:37 PM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is online now
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 20,395
Ugh Alex Johnstone, NDP candidate for Hamilton West/Ancaster/Dundas riding, did a major screw up today.

Yesterday it was revealed in her Facebook comment that an electrified fence around Auschwitz looked like a bunch of 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. She said "Ahhh, the infamous Pollish (sic), phallic, hydro posts … of course you took pictures of this! It expresses the how the curve is normal, natural, and healthy right!"

Well to make it much more worst during the debate last night she said "Well, I didn't know what Auschwitz was, or I didn't up until today."

Seriously?! *facepalm* You don't know what Auschwitz is?

News article about it:
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5927450-ndp-s-alex-johnstone-didn-t-know-what-auschwitz-was/
     
     
  #428  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:38 PM
Bcasey25raptor's Avatar
Bcasey25raptor Bcasey25raptor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver Suburbs
Posts: 2,885
I'm also going to call this a Liberal minority victory.

The NDP will thankfully collapse quite a bit near the end of this campaign handing the keys to the Liberals.

Tories will be in second place while the NDP will be back in 3rd.
__________________
River District Big Government progressive
~ Just Watch me
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau
     
     
  #429  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:40 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Ugh Alex Johnstone, NDP candidate for Hamilton West/Ancaster/Dundas riding, did a major screw up today.

Yesterday it was revealed in her Facebook comment that an electrified fence around Auschwitz looked like a bunch of 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. She said "Ahhh, the infamous Pollish (sic), phallic, hydro posts … of course you took pictures of this! It expresses the how the curve is normal, natural, and healthy right!"

Well to make it much more worst during the debate last night she said "Well, I didn't know what Auschwitz was, or I didn't up until today."

Seriously?! *facepalm* You don't know what Auschwitz is?

News article about it:
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5927450-ndp-s-alex-johnstone-didn-t-know-what-auschwitz-was/
That`s fantastic.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #430  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:44 PM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is online now
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 20,395
Therefore, lock up Hamilton West/Ancaster/Dundas as a Liberal win.
     
     
  #431  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:46 PM
Bcasey25raptor's Avatar
Bcasey25raptor Bcasey25raptor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver Suburbs
Posts: 2,885
with a little shy of 1 month to go before the election, Time for predictions.

Trudeau will win a minority, Tories in second place, NDP third by a large margin.

As the election ends, the NDP will turf Mulcair and elect the loony left as leader (not sure who this will be yet, but think Bernie sanders style loony left).

Harper will resign and a leadership review will occur in the tory ranks probably giving jason kenny the leadership position.

Election again in 2 years.
__________________
River District Big Government progressive
~ Just Watch me
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau
     
     
  #432  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:55 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is offline
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,361
Nearly a month left is really time for predictions? Seems extremely premature to me...
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Don't ask people not to debate a topic. Just stop making debatable assertions. Problem solved.
     
     
  #433  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:04 PM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
with a little shy of 1 month to go before the election, Time for predictions.

Trudeau will win a minority, Tories in second place, NDP third by a large margin.

As the election ends, the NDP will turf Mulcair and elect the loony left as leader (not sure who this will be yet, but think Bernie sanders style loony left).

Harper will resign and a leadership review will occur in the tory ranks probably giving jason kenny the leadership position.

Election again in 2 years.
While I also support the Liberals, what happened to "I will bet $100 the CPC wins and the Conservatives are Canada's new natural governing party"???
     
     
  #434  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:06 PM
Bcasey25raptor's Avatar
Bcasey25raptor Bcasey25raptor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver Suburbs
Posts: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Nearly a month left is really time for predictions? Seems extremely premature to me...
I maintain my view the NDP is unelectable and that their numbers will continue to plummet leading to a Liberal surge near the end of the campaign.

I believe this since most people voting for one of the other parties mainly want to keep Harper out and they will vote for whomever at the time has a higher chance of defeating harper.

This isn't 2011, the Liberals are no longer decimated.
__________________
River District Big Government progressive
~ Just Watch me
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau
     
     
  #435  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:11 PM
Bcasey25raptor's Avatar
Bcasey25raptor Bcasey25raptor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver Suburbs
Posts: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
While I also support the Liberals, what happened to "I will bet $100 the CPC wins and the Conservatives are Canada's new natural governing party"???
The fact I have 4 conservative friends voting Liberal, that's what happened.

Also can you fault me for being optimistic?

Also I stand by the "Natural governing party" statement.

Why you might ask?
Because unless Trudeau is really popular, the conservatives will win again in the next election.
__________________
River District Big Government progressive
~ Just Watch me
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau
     
     
  #436  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:13 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is offline
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,361
Unless Quebec also shifts to the LPC, I find it hard to believe that they could garner enough support entirely outside Quebec for them to actually surpass the NDP. But then again, time will tell.
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Don't ask people not to debate a topic. Just stop making debatable assertions. Problem solved.
     
     
  #437  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:29 PM
ssiguy ssiguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Nearly a month left is really time for predictions? Seems extremely premature to me...
In nearly all elections I would agree but this isn't a normal election.

Remember there may be a month left which is a long time in politics but the election has also been going on for a month. This is by far the longest election in modern Canadian history so many, particularly Conservatives, have already made up their minds. This is especially true as in a normal campaign we wouldn't have even had our first debate yet by we already have 2 under out belts.

We have also seen poll after poll saying that this is a three-way race and all of them have shown a statistical tie when taking in the margin of error. From here on in it's mostly just a few swing ridings that will take the day and most of that will be decided by the strategic voting of the ABC constituency.
     
     
  #438  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:52 PM
travis3000's Avatar
travis3000 travis3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Simcoe County, ON
Posts: 6,506
My guess is ... strong Con minority of around 160 seats. You'll see them pick up in support as we head into October. Trudeau will be official opposition with around 100 seats. The rest go to NDP, maybe 1-3 Green/Bloq seats.
     
     
  #439  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:58 PM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
The fact I have 4 conservative friends voting Liberal, that's what happened.
Count me in there too....at this point. I've flipped to all 3 parties through this.
     
     
  #440  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:05 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
The fact I have 4 conservative friends voting Liberal, that's what happened.

Also can you fault me for being optimistic?

Also I stand by the "Natural governing party" statement.

Why you might ask?
Because unless Trudeau is really popular, the conservatives will win again in the next election.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Conservatives continue winning either. This is why hopefully this time we manage to go through some sort of electoral reform where votes aren't split and people don't have to vote strategically, but rather for who they really want. People should vote out of hope, not fear. I think if that happens, Conservative governments will occur far less often. Hell, I'd have loved to vote for the Greens this election, but the current system makes that vote useless.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:36 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.