HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley


    Evolve in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #681  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:54 AM
GMasterAres GMasterAres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 3,124
Strata councils can make or break a building. Also almost every new building seems to go through a growing period where the first few years are a bit turbulent. We had that in the first year here in the Verve development just because owners were new and desperate to get renters in, Strata was new and not established, and we were dealing with a developer who doesn't seem to know what the word "security" means.

After a year we've pushed for smarter rules, have been enforcing existing rules and bylaws, and instituted additional security measures including CCTV cameras and an education system for owners. Problems have dropped considerably to "normal" levels for a building this size.

Ultra sounds to be similar where Strata wasn't really doing their job and the riff-raff was given license to do whatever they wanted.

Can happen ANYWHERE in any strata complex. That's why it is super important if buying into an already established building to review those strata minutes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #682  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 5:26 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Also almost every new building seems to go through a growing period where the first few years are a bit turbulent. [...] Can happen ANYWHERE in any strata complex. That's why it is super important if buying into an already established building to review those strata minutes.
Not sure if I would describe the stories on that website only as "little turbulence". Many of those incidents sounded downright scary and even dangerous for other residents. I sure hope such behavior is not a norm in new buildings but rather an exception. The problems in Ultra sounded widespread and not be caused by one or even two tenants, but it is good to hear that things have improved.

Btw, could someone change the title of this thread from The Urban Village to Ultra? Or is former the official name for this complex? I am always confused by the name of this thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #683  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 8:06 AM
Whalleyboy's Avatar
Whalleyboy Whalleyboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Strata councils can make or break a building. Also almost every new building seems to go through a growing period where the first few years are a bit turbulent. We had that in the first year here in the Verve development just because owners were new and desperate to get renters in, Strata was new and not established, and we were dealing with a developer who doesn't seem to know what the word "security" means.

After a year we've pushed for smarter rules, have been enforcing existing rules and bylaws, and instituted additional security measures including CCTV cameras and an education system for owners. Problems have dropped considerably to "normal" levels for a building this size.

Ultra sounds to be similar where Strata wasn't really doing their job and the riff-raff was given license to do whatever they wanted.

Can happen ANYWHERE in any strata complex. That's why it is super important if buying into an already established building to review those strata minutes.
I actually grew up in surreys oldest strata complex. For the most part no major issues there. Sure there were trouble people there time and again but with age comes good wisdom on how to deal with issues. All these new buildings are just dealing with growing pains in and area thats dealing with growing pains. The complex i grew up in is actually in central to and its due to its age has managed to not have major issues coming up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #684  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 3:40 AM
GMasterAres GMasterAres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Not sure if I would describe the stories on that website only as "little turbulence". Many of those incidents sounded downright scary and even dangerous for other residents. I sure hope such behavior is not a norm in new buildings but rather an exception. The problems in Ultra sounded widespread and not be caused by one or even two tenants, but it is good to hear that things have improved.

Btw, could someone change the title of this thread from The Urban Village to Ultra? Or is former the official name for this complex? I am always confused by the name of this thread.
Take with a grain of salt. Not saying it isn't all true but I question anything post-able as a review in the anonymous Interweb. Just read through reviews on any site from Amazon and Canadian Tire through to reviews on Restaurants and Hotels. You'll see plenty of "This is amazing the best ever!" to on the same item "This is complete garbage and didn't work and I replaced it 10 times and never worked!"

Same items, same places. So I take it all with a grain of salt. I don't think it is as _BAD_ as people make it out, it is also not as _GOOD_ as people make it out.

I can tell you my neighborhood is fine and then you can find someone who got mugged and they would say my neighborhood is a cesspool of crime. Who do you believe?

Thus read the strata minutes first and do some real research.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #685  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 3:43 AM
GMasterAres GMasterAres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 3,124
Sorry missed your last part. Yah the thread I guess should be called "Ultra" and be completed.

The new tower is Evolve and I believe has its own thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #686  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 9:28 PM
Nites Nites is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 1,558
My property value went up by $25k since I purchased. On the other hand at Park Place the value went down from the price of the original purchase according to BC assessment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #687  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:58 PM
w34lth w34lth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
My property value went up by $25k since I purchased. On the other hand at Park Place the value went down from the price of the original purchase according to BC assessment.
Sorry if you had already posted this.

Which unit did you purchase at either building?
1 bed?
2bed?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #688  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:43 PM
Nites Nites is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by w34lth View Post
Sorry if you had already posted this.

Which unit did you purchase at either building?
1 bed?
2bed?
1 bedroom on 23rd floor for Ultra Plan B (Corner unit & Southwest view). Friend purchased 2 bed on 27th floor at Park Place (Corner view & Southwest view).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #689  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 4:01 AM
dpapis4 dpapis4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 42
Worth the risk?

Hello All, new to this place. I lived in City center a block away from ultra back in 2012 for 3 months. Well my question is to know if it is a good idea to invest in city center. Hear lot of bad things about the place even-though I have never experienced anything while I lived there. kinda worried a bit because I spent quite some money for an apartment at evolve
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #690  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 7:15 AM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapis4 View Post
Hello All, new to this place. I lived in City center a block away from ultra back in 2012 for 3 months. Well my question is to know if it is a good idea to invest in city center. Hear lot of bad things about the place even-though I have never experienced anything while I lived there. kinda worried a bit because I spent quite some money for an apartment at evolve
Good and bad things can happen everywhere. A lot of people like to dump on Surrey. I lived there for a lot of years and nothing bad happened to me.

Were you buying as an investment (prob not good due to all the development happening - lots of places coming to market) or as a place to live?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #691  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 12:18 PM
dpapis4 dpapis4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 42
My colleagues at work do say bad things abt the place, hopefully it will get better. I bought the place to live in it but I do hope it will keep at least its value if I decide to sell and upgrade in the future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #692  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 5:03 PM
Shift Shift is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,944
I have been living in Ultra since last summer (after 4 years downtown Toronto, and 6 years downtown Vancouver) and have had no problems here. The area has been fine, it's actually nice. Usually pretty quiet and relaxed throughout the neighbourhood. The Surrey Centre area is really gonna change over the next few years anyway, so any sketch that is left will be gone, at least in this area. I walked around the Metrotown area outside the mall yesterday, and actually preferred Surrey Central after coming back. Shaping up to have more of a downtown feel, despite Metrotown having more towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #693  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 8:11 PM
Nites Nites is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapis4 View Post
Hello All, new to this place. I lived in City center a block away from ultra back in 2012 for 3 months. Well my question is to know if it is a good idea to invest in city center. Hear lot of bad things about the place even-though I have never experienced anything while I lived there. kinda worried a bit because I spent quite some money for an apartment at evolve
I wouldn't invest if you plan on making a short term investment. The reason I bought was because I got a killer deal that I couldn't pass up. I plan on keeping it for at least 15+ years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #694  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 11:57 PM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapis4 View Post
My colleagues at work do say bad things abt the place, hopefully it will get better. I bought the place to live in it but I do hope it will keep at least its value if I decide to sell and upgrade in the future.
This might help ease your jitters
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #695  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 3:59 AM
dpapis4 dpapis4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 42
Well I have already invested around 350k and unless something major happens or I need to upgrade I dont think I will sell. Thank you for the video, quite interesting it can turnout to be a good buy, unless I paid too much for it...
I took a two bedroom two bathroom apartment in the 29th floor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #696  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 2:36 PM
w34lth w34lth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapis4 View Post
Well I have already invested around 350k and unless something major happens or I need to upgrade I dont think I will sell. Thank you for the video, quite interesting it can turnout to be a good buy, unless I paid too much for it...
I took a two bedroom two bathroom apartment in the 29th floor.

What made you choose that building over other in the area?

The area is perfectly safe and quiet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #697  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 4:31 PM
dpapis4 dpapis4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by w34lth View Post
What made you choose that building over other in the area?

The area is perfectly safe and quiet.
The Main Reason I went for it is that I have about 2 years to save some money to get the mortgage down to 200-230k. I was a block away from ultra when I went to live in surrey few years ago and liked the area. I really didnt have a chance to visit the other sale centers, Civic was like +400k and the other buildings seemed to have higher square footage prices.
Seemed like evolve was the cheapest. Wave wanted around 330k for a 2 bedroom but then I had to pay the mortgage right away and with my flights to work every 2 weeks, it would have been a bit too tight for me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #698  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 9:55 PM
GMasterAres GMasterAres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapis4 View Post
My colleagues at work do say bad things abt the place, hopefully it will get better. I bought the place to live in it but I do hope it will keep at least its value if I decide to sell and upgrade in the future.
It will hold its value more or less. Likely see it drop a bit then rise a bit then drop a bit over the next 5-10 years. That's simply because there is so much coming online. Unless we get a huge hike in prices for new construction which indirectly pumps up everyone else, I think the Surrey Central market will remain fairly stable but you won't be getting a huge pay off in the short term.

My unit in Park Place jumped up quite a bit right after completion and has now hovered +-3% the past 3 years. I'd still make a nice profit if I sold but it isn't no +300% increase or anything like that. I'm in for the long haul though.

If you are buying at market value though you won't really make any money at all because prices aren't really rising for condos in Surrey Central right now again due to all the supply coming online in the next few years. So if you're in the market already, good. If you want to buy, I'd be careful and do so only if you can buy under market value or are going to live in it for several years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #699  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 2:25 AM
Cypherus's Avatar
Cypherus Cypherus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,759
Evolve seems to be a good buy for some investors. But like jhausner said, the Surrey condo market is not taking off in the foreseeable future due to the anticipated supply coming down the road. Give or take 10 years to see some upward movement.

Also, average price per sq. ft. in Evolve for its upper floors is about $425 give your take some minor variances. Problem with Evolve is that it squeezes too many units on the floors. Upper floors have micro-suites which seem to encroach on the floor plans of remaining units - making those small as a consequence. Everything in Evolve is small as well - small living space, kitchen, bedrooms, storage and bathrooms. You'd also lose your views, unless you have a west facing unit, due to the development of the 4 other towers in the Urban village and Wave/Wynd to the north. If you're paying $300k+ for such a living space, you might as well look into townhomes which offer more space and appeal more to first time homebuyers or those who want to start a family.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #700  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 8:41 PM
dpapis4 dpapis4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 42
Hum, I see. I am actually buying to live in it, I kinda believe I paid a little too much for this place but on the long run I should be ok (well I hope). I have a south west facing view on the 29th floor which should give me a good view but the its only 726sqrf. You are right that we have too many suites, just hoping people will respect their neighbors. If it doesnt loose its value, it will be a good way to build equity and upgrade in the near future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:45 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.