HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8121  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 7:17 PM
tsarstruck tsarstruck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 351
Things a a-brewing for the 32nd & Market Firestone plot, plans are to strike that weird stretch of Lancaster Ave:

Quote:
Authorizing the revision of lines and grades on a portion of City Plan No. 44 by striking from the City Plan and vacating a certain triangularly-shaped portion of Lancaster Avenue located at the northerly side of Market Street and the easterly side of Thirty-Second Street, under certain terms and conditions.
https://phila.legistar.com/LegislationDe...70EF1B472&Options=ID|Text|&Search=150601
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8122  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 8:51 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Let's talk about development......
I know right. I'm getting a little tired of the page after page of nonsensical paragraph long ranting posts on every single Philadelphia thread on this forum. I'm going to start deleting nonsense posts that don't contribute anything so the rest of us don't have to scroll through 5 pages to find information about actual developments. This isn't Philly.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8123  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 8:51 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
Things a a-brewing for the 32nd & Market Firestone plot, plans are to strike that weird stretch of Lancaster Ave:



https://phila.legistar.com/LegislationDe...70EF1B472&Options=ID|Text|&Search=150601
Expect something in the 25 floor range here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8124  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 12:36 AM
jjv007 jjv007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 669
Exclusive photos of the One Liberty Observation Deck...

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...tm_medium=email&utm_source=Curbed+Philly
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8125  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 12:51 AM
Guipos08 Guipos08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SJ/Philly
Posts: 100
^ pretty cool, looking forward to the fall opening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8126  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 4:02 AM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Exclusive photos of the One Liberty Observation Deck...

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...tm_medium=email&utm_source=Curbed+Philly
Absolutely awesome pics of the observation deck. Should be fun!
__________________
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace." :Lennon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8127  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 12:49 PM
cafeguy cafeguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Exclusive photos of the One Liberty Observation Deck...

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...tm_medium=email&utm_source=Curbed+Philly
I wish they could open for the pope visit. That would be a BIG opening weekend for them!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8128  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:17 PM
cafeguy cafeguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 346
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*school girl scream*

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20150718_Oddity_s_new_start.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8129  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:35 PM
Urbanity Urbanity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*school girl scream*

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20150718_Oddity_s_new_start.html
[img]http://media.philly.com/images/600*450/20150718-Hale-Building.jpg[img]
source: philly.com

The Hale is one of my favs. It's spent the last 30 years in dirty Dollar Store purgatory. So happy to hear Brickstone plans to bring it back to life, and with respect to the specialness of the architecture.

Last edited by Urbanity; Jul 18, 2015 at 1:38 PM. Reason: picture didn't show up in the original
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8130  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:41 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,538
2116 Chestnut high-rise being sold for $160M

Quote:
The for-sale market in Philadelphia, especially in Center City and adjacent neighborhoods, experienced its best second quarter in nearly a decade this year, and the luxury rental apartment remains hot.

William Rich of Delta Associates, of Washington, which tracks the rental market, said the apartment vacancy rate in the city fell to 1.6 percent in the second quarter from 5 percent a year earlier. This occurred even while competition in the market, especially in Center City, continued to increase, Rich said.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8131  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:54 PM
MikeNigh MikeNigh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Is this good or bad? Seems cheap considering the granary sold for $120M and was built for $66M. I guess it's still making a profit over it's $100M construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8132  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 3:18 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Is this good or bad? Seems cheap considering the granary sold for $120M and was built for $66M. I guess it's still making a profit over it's $100M construction.
The Granary is no small building. It has 229 units and sold for a profit of $54 mill for the developers and $120 mill in total or $524k per unit.

2116 Chestnut has 321 units. It sold for $160mill for a profit of $60 mill to the developer, and a total of $498k per unit.

Believe it or not, The Granary is just a better quality build. Better finishes, equal in amenities, and that's probably why they were able to fetch a higher sales price on it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8133  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 7:52 PM
DIESELPOLO's Avatar
DIESELPOLO DIESELPOLO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 664
Suburban malls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Don't underestimate the number and percentage of city dwellers with similar incomes who are empty-nesters and/or migrated from the suburbs, and share similar tastes in shopping with their suburban counterparts. Not to mention the changing and increasingly more positive attitudes of ALL area residents--including those in the suburbs--towards Center City. And my point is that I wouldn't count out a full-blown Center City Bloomie's too soon, especially since--as pointed out above--they're apparently looking for space for such a store:

Bloomingdale’s Is Officially Looking for Space in Center City

And I'm in one of those "well off familes" that live relatively near and frequently shop at Willow Grove Mall. It is NOT a cut above average suburban Philly malls such as Montgomery, Plymouth Meeting, Springfield, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, etc. Among the larger suburban malls, I'd only classify KOP as "a cut above."
KOP is in the echelon of malls like Short Hills (North Jersey), Bal Harbour (Miami), and Northpark (Dallas). So, yes, sometimes I compare other Philly malls to it, but not really. Of the regional malls 'for the people' I think a lot of them will be more strategic in their relative positioning.

PREIT reinterprets the positioning of their properties fairly well, but other mall operators I'd imagine will continue this march toward re-evaluating their property's existential shopping proposition.

Willow Grove, to be clear, is still one of the highest grossing malls in the state, and in my opinion, it is one strategically located next to a regional rail line. It also possesses ample acreage that it could help it evolve into a campus-like layout (e.g. sidewalks, a central green, a lake, hotel, etc.). Furthermore, older properties like the Granite Run mall are, ahem, running toward a more mixed-use future with the proposal of apartments on its sprawling parking lots.

I think KOP has definitely established itself as the place for those who want to Shop (capital 'S'), but Center City and suburban malls can certainly appeal to those who want to consume but not contend with the freeway maze and the juggernaut shopping experience that is KOP.
__________________
“By the powerful we mean of course those who are able to realize their will even if others resist it.”
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8134  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:54 PM
PHL1 PHL1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 11
Long time lurker.

Hi All. Looking forward to contributing to the thread. Been watching for a couple of years now and really enjoy the development info. Thanks to all!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8135  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 9:01 PM
Plokoon11 Plokoon11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,698
Welcome PH1! Its always nice to see new posters!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8136  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 9:44 PM
jjv007 jjv007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
I wish they could open for the pope visit. That would be a BIG opening weekend for them!
True, but at least it'll be open for the DNC and the pope visitors still have City Hall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8137  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 11:06 PM
GarCastle GarCastle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
I think KOP has definitely established itself as the place for those who want to Shop (capital 'S'), but Center City and suburban malls can certainly appeal to those who want to consume but not contend with the freeway maze and the juggernaut shopping experience that is KOP.
Isn't Mall shopping down significantly over the recent years? I guess I just cannot picture people driving from Philly out to KOP Mall any longer. Mall days are numbered. I had some guy with an unmarked truck dropping off an Amazon package on a SUNDAY. With online retailers doing that, I cannot see how store fronts are going to survive much longer. Especially when free shipping and no tax comes into the mix.

I live right near the Willow Grove mall and whenever I'm there it's tweens and/or parents getting their toddlers out of the house. That's usually why I'm there, to get the kids out of the house even for an hour (not for the tweens LOL).

Cheers,
G.
__________________
"I don't need the city, it never cared for me." - Neuroticfish.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8138  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 1:03 AM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarCastle View Post
Isn't Mall shopping down significantly over the recent years? I guess I just cannot picture people driving from Philly out to KOP Mall any longer. Mall days are numbered. I had some guy with an unmarked truck dropping off an Amazon package on a SUNDAY. With online retailers doing that, I cannot see how store fronts are going to survive much longer. Especially when free shipping and no tax comes into the mix.

I live right near the Willow Grove mall and whenever I'm there it's tweens and/or parents getting their toddlers out of the house. That's usually why I'm there, to get the kids out of the house even for an hour (not for the tweens LOL).

Cheers,
G.
The surrounding counties still drive to KOP to shop. I think they did 1 billion in sales in 2014. And, with the current expansion, I think they will top 1 billion in the next few years. Shopping is a culture and having to try on a garment and see how it looks and feel is still embedded in folks and cannot be replicated from online clothes shopping. That's not to say that online shopping isn't a robust business for certain line of clothing, but it won't replace the brick and mortar experience.

My estimation is that it will be around for a long times since online shopping can't evoke the same emotional feeling as shopping in a store.

And, I'm aware for comparison that Nexflix killed video/movie rentals like Blockbuster, etc. But, to me it is not an exact 1:1.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8139  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 1:49 PM
Kidphilly Kidphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 923
I looked at the Marina view proposal and it says dead. Driving donw 95 would make me think this thing is rising as we speak
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8140  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 2:37 PM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
I looked at the Marina view proposal and it says dead. Driving donw 95 would make me think this thing is rising as we speak
Different developer, different design, different name; apartments (not condos).
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.