HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 1:50 PM
Stonemans_rowJ's Avatar
Stonemans_rowJ Stonemans_rowJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hilltop
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
If you want a more urban city than Denver you're going to have to pay more. Paying more means a crappier home and by the time you get to a nice city you'll be living in a van down by the river. jk

But really just stay where you are because Denver is nice for how much you pay
Chicago is far more urban and cheaper, even more so if you include transportation costs. Not to take anything away from Denver which is a very liveable city, but only a few neighborhoods could be considered urban, and the rental prices and housing prices are reaching a tipping point.
__________________
JP
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 3:21 PM
RyanD's Avatar
RyanD RyanD is offline
Fast. Fun. Frequent.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,988
^ Yep. Exactly. We were talking about only needing one car if we moved out there, and I know for sure I would use the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 out of the CTA. Good intercity transit is very farfetched here in Denver whereas it's absolutely fantastic in Chicago.

Maria and I did the 'what can you afford at your household income' and, as of right now (with property taxes, mortgage insurance, and $1k of misc monthly expenses), it put us just shy of $250,000. So our choices are very subruban Commerce Cirty / Broomfield / Aurora / Littleton, etc. OR urban Chicago / Philly.

I told so many people, the day I get priced out of Denver proper and have to drop 'Denver' from my address is the day I consider leaving it. We would have to make double at this point if we want to survive buying property in Denver, and that's not going to happen overnight.
__________________
DenverInfill
DenverUrbanism
--------------------
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 4:35 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
We would have to make double at this point if we want to survive buying property in Denver, and that's not going to happen overnight.
Catching up is never going to happen so long as we are seeing 14% year-over-year price appreciation, as we saw in June. I don't know many people getting 28% annual raises.

Sure is great if you already own something, though. It's no surprise we don't see a big push to address the affordability situation; people are naturally selfish, and those who are already in are making a killing. I just hope in 20 years they're all panicking when it comes time to sell and there are no move-up folks who can afford to buy because the bottom never developed.
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 4:44 PM
Stonemans_rowJ's Avatar
Stonemans_rowJ Stonemans_rowJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hilltop
Posts: 391
I'd definitely rent if I were you for a year or two until you get to know any city. The nice thing about Chicago is there are tons of good rentals. $2000/month goes so much farther there for a rental than it does here.

And unlike Denver where RE prices are going up 10% a year, if you wait a couple years, find the perfect neighborhood, maybe live in a few different neighborhoods, get set up in a good job, etc. RE prices will only be slightly higher so you won't feel like you "missed out."

$400,000 there can get you a really nice 2/2 condo in Lakeview, Bucktown, even Lincoln Park etc. What can you get in Denver's best neighborhoods for $400,000?

As far as property taxes go, yes they are higher, but you also get access to transit. Here most people need 2 cars for a household and look at the annual registration fees for cars! Average cars cost upwards of $8,000 or more a year. This cost is typically decoupled from COL indices.
__________________
JP
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 5:08 PM
RyanD's Avatar
RyanD RyanD is offline
Fast. Fun. Frequent.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemans_rowJ View Post
I'd definitely rent if I were you for a year or two until you get to know any city. The nice thing about Chicago is there are tons of good rentals. $2000/month goes so much farther there for a rental than it does here.

And unlike Denver where RE prices are going up 10% a year, if you wait a couple years, find the perfect neighborhood, maybe live in a few different neighborhoods, get set up in a good job, etc. RE prices will only be slightly higher so you won't feel like you "missed out."

$400,000 there can get you a really nice 2/2 condo in Lakeview, Bucktown, even Lincoln Park etc. What can you get in Denver's best neighborhoods for $400,000?

As far as property taxes go, yes they are higher, but you also get access to transit. Here most people need 2 cars for a household and look at the annual registration fees for cars! Average cars cost upwards of $8,000 or more a year. This cost is typically decoupled from COL indices.
That's the plan. There are a ton of rentals at amazing prices all over the place in Chicago. I think, if we do this, we will start out on the North side (Uptown / Edgewater / Andersonville) or the Northwest side (Logan Square / Wicker Park). Those are the two areas I'm personally comfortable with. We would probably buy in 2017/2018 if we like the city.

There are 2/2 or 2/1.5 condos on the north side sub 250k. It's a pretty amazingly cheap market. I can't even get a 1946 🞵🞵🞵🞵 original stock house in Cory-Merrill for sub 500k.

This is our planning month to see if we can actually do it in 2015. If not, it'll be in 2016 for sure. I'll have a definitive answer in August, as October 1st would be our move in date.
__________________
DenverInfill
DenverUrbanism
--------------------
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 7:36 PM
TakeFive's Avatar
TakeFive TakeFive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Ugh, not this again.
hehehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post

For example, this neighborhood is denser than this one. That happens because rowhouse neighborhoods have tighter streets and fill every nook and cranny with English basements and carriage houses, while highrises are stuck with huge lobbies, on-site gyms, and parking garages. And because many of the rowhouses are split up into apartments or condos.
I loves your links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemans_rowJ View Post
Pittsburgh is awesome, and I've heard Cincinnatti is very affordable and has an incredible stock of historic architecture and built urban environment. The second tier rust belt cities will have some seriously good value, and great old housing stock.

My wife and I are strongly considering Chicago as well, and St. Louis.
Clearly not what RyanD is looking for but I'd agree.

I'd also put Ann Arbor near the top of such a list. St. Louis has its pluses but I hated the winters there much more than in Denver. I'd live in Indianapolis before Chicago but that's me.
__________________
Cool... Denver has reached puberty.
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 7:45 PM
TakeFive's Avatar
TakeFive TakeFive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
I told so many people, the day I get priced out of Denver proper and have to drop 'Denver' from my address is the day I consider leaving it. We would have to make double at this point if we want to survive buying property in Denver, and that's not going to happen overnight.
I have to wonder if Denver has the depth of quality jobs it will need to sustain the current housing environment. OTOH it wouldn't (I assume) have the depth of housing stock that these other cities have so who knows.
__________________
Cool... Denver has reached puberty.
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 4:06 AM
seventwenty's Avatar
seventwenty seventwenty is offline
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Soon to be banned
Posts: 1,697
Ann Arbor's small though. I get the feeling Ryan's looking for something bigger (and more urban) than Denver.
__________________
The happy & obtuse bro.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 4:13 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
I have a friend who bought a rowhome in deep South Philly a couple of years ago for $110k. Put about $50k of renovations in and now it's worth closer to $200k.

Philadelphia is a super-affordable city for rowhomes and small multiunit structures. Not only do we have incredible bones, but our infill is at the rowhome scale and you can definitely buy a shiny new rowhome for less than $500k. You also get our nice shiny 10-year property tax abatement on those, too.

Also, while Philadelphia isn't close to things like the Front Range, it's very much a misnomer that we don't have mountains nearby, or rugged terrain. For example, this...


manayunk.com


planphilly.com

...is entirely within the city, while this...


innathickoryrun.com


littleviews.com

...is only a day trip away.

I'm not saying living in Philly is all rainbows and unicorns -- but we do have our perks.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

‘Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 4:53 AM
Cirrus's Avatar
Cirrus Cirrus is offline
cities|transit|croissants
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
it's very much a misnomer that we don't have mountains nearby
Well, Philadelphia has hills nearby.

But it's all good because the things Denver calls rivers are not rivers. I'd like to see someone try and park a battleship on the Platte.
__________________
writing | twitter | bluesky | flickr | instagram | ssp photo threads

Last edited by Cirrus; Jul 9, 2015 at 5:11 AM.
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 5:29 AM
TakeFive's Avatar
TakeFive TakeFive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I'd like to see someone try and park a battleship on the Platte.
__________________
Cool... Denver has reached puberty.
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 7:13 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Well, Philadelphia has hills nearby.

But it's all good because the things Denver calls rivers are not rivers. I'd like to see someone try and park a battleship on the Platte.
Or an aircraft carrier!
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

‘Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 2:14 PM
seventwenty's Avatar
seventwenty seventwenty is offline
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Soon to be banned
Posts: 1,697
Cirrus we had this argument last year, and you lost.
__________________
The happy & obtuse bro.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 12:13 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Well, Philadelphia has hills nearby.

But it's all good because the things Denver calls rivers are not rivers. I'd like to see someone try and park a battleship on the Platte.
Also our hills are hillier than Chicago's terminal moraine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Cirrus we had this argument last year, and you lost.
River:


wikipeida

"River":
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Creek:

stroudcenter.com

We also have "runs" and the people down in Baltimore have some "falls" as well.

Sidenote: What they call "rivers" in Providence, RI, aren't rivers either.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

‘Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 12:38 AM
Cirrus's Avatar
Cirrus Cirrus is offline
cities|transit|croissants
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,718
Philadelphia has plenty of streams with kayak-able rapids. Those aren't rivers.

They also have one of these. And one of these. Hey, and one of these.
__________________
writing | twitter | bluesky | flickr | instagram | ssp photo threads
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 1:23 AM
Scottk's Avatar
Scottk Scottk is offline
Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post

"River"
Actually, the waterway in that photo Ryan took is known as The Cherry Creek
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 3:21 AM
Brock Landers Brock Landers is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I have to wonder if Denver has the depth of quality jobs it will need to sustain the current housing environment. OTOH it wouldn't (I assume) have the depth of housing stock that these other cities have so who knows.
These numbers seem quite high to me but certainly a red flag...

Denver Post: $1,696 rent for a Denver 3BR home more affordable than buying

Quote:
A three-bedroom rental home in Denver County averages $1,696 a month and requires 39 percent of median household income, compared with an average monthly mortgage payment of $2,190 that requires 51 percent of income, according to the housing research firm's report.
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 3:52 PM
seventwenty's Avatar
seventwenty seventwenty is offline
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Soon to be banned
Posts: 1,697
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk View Post
actually, the waterway in that photo ryan took is known as the cherry creek
Thank you Scott. Someone had to call Cirrus on his blatent misrepresentation of water.
__________________
The happy & obtuse bro.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:06 PM
bunt_q's Avatar
bunt_q bunt_q is offline
Provincial Bumpkin
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
These numbers seem quite high to me but certainly a red flag...

Denver Post: $1,696 rent for a Denver 3BR home more affordable than buying
That's actually pretty low, and only represents the mortgage. Insurance, taxes and mortgage insurance would bring that "average" house from $2,190 closer to $2,600. Unless a person happens to have $70,000 laying around for 20% down. (Of course, with appreciation at 14% per year, you can re-fi in two years and have that 20% equity. Good deal if you can get in.)
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:10 PM
wong21fr's Avatar
wong21fr wong21fr is offline
Reluctant Hobbesian
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
That's actually pretty low, and only represents the mortgage. Insurance, taxes and mortgage insurance would bring that "average" house from $2,190 closer to $2,600. Unless a person happens to have $70,000 laying around for 20% down. (Of course, with appreciation at 14% per year, you can re-fi in two years and have that 20% equity. Good deal if you can get in.)
What's this 20% down you speak of? You mean you can't buy a house for 0% down? Bummer.
__________________
"You don't strike, you just go to work everyday and do your job real half-ass. That's the American way!" -Homer Simpson

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:48 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.