Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton
One wonders if that's the idea here. Bakery Square won't do this out of the goodness of their own heart. If they get this transit stop approved, they can then buy out entire blocks of buildings on Hamilton, and redevelop the corridor for the next phase. Otherwise, the development has reached its maximum boundaries unless they could convince the Village of Eastside to sell to them.
|
Yep--if they feel like there is yet more potential demand out there that BKSQ 2.0 won't satisfy, this would be a way of unlocking such projects. Which is fine with me.
Quote:
|
I have to say, I am kind of confused about integrating the Busway with the parking garage though. Do they want it to function as a Park and Ride for Downtown or something?
|
I don't know for sure, although that sounds unlikely to me as a primary motivation. If I had to guess, I would guess that they want the parking garage for their current and perhaps future expansion plans, but they want some public funding to help pay for it (since garages viewed in isolation tend to be money-losers). Public funding just for parking garages can be tough to get these days, but if you can fold them into some sort of "transit center" project, then you have more chances.
For a similar sort of thing, see Oxford's plans for a "multimodal transportation center" as part of Three Crossings. My guess is they really mostly just want the parking garage, but they want public funding so they have to package it within a "multimodal" plan.
By the way, to me this is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't love public funding of parking, but I do like public funding of transit. On their own, each of those things can be tough to get, so it can make sense to join forces, with the political benefit coming precisely by bringing together distinct interest groups and politicians. To the extent that involves a lot of local money, I am less sure that is a good idea. But when you are talking about competing for state and federal money, I think that can be fine.