HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8481  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 3:59 PM
WBC WBC is offline
Transit User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Metrotown/Downtown
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
It's not like the city couldn't afford it... look at all those dang condo towers, and the lack of rental units >_< . I'm totally sure a developer would have just outright paid for the station if it meant having it to build a development around.

At any rate my suggestion of a "Siding type station" would literately be adding two switches in each direction, pulling the cars onto a new level section, (thus taking up twice as much space, as having done it properly the first time) possibly beside or above the existing tracks. It would just slow things down since the trains would have to slow down before reaching the switch. It's essentially adding another 120m+ of guideway that didn't need to be added.

Like it wasn't meant to be a "Oh they could add a station anywhere if the felt like it", rather that it is MUCH MUCH more expensive to accommodate design changes after the project is completed.

Much like the Gondola project... Corrigan says no, so that means we will have to wait until he and his wife both retire from politics before any change happens in Burnaby.
No way. Derek II (his eldest son) has been groomed for decades to take over the realm of Burnaby. Long live Corrigan dynasty!!! Also Derek Snow can always be recalled from the wall (a.k.a Boundary Road) if Derek II fails in some way...
     
     
  #8482  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 5:27 PM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,595
Can we dial back the Corrigan hate and look at the facts?

Quote:
City staff released a report last week suggesting a proposal to ensure a guideway modification be made to the line, to allow for Cameron Station to possibly be added later on.

The proposal stated the City of Burnaby would be willing to go in on a 50/50 cost-sharing agreement for the modification with the province, with a maximum cost to the city of $3 million.

Since the report was posted online Friday, the B.C. Ministry of Transportation has stated to the media that it would be willing to cover costs exceeding $3 million on the project.

"The province is prepared to cover the costs exceeding $3 million, including environmental mitigation and any overruns, if Burnaby pays the initial $3 million to modify the project to make provision for this future station," Kate Trotter, public affairs officer at the B.C. Ministry of Transportation, wrote in an email to the Burnaby NOW on Monday.

...

According to SNC-Lavalin's estimates, the cost for the modification would be about $2.75 million, Moncur said, not including other related costs such as environmental remediation.

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/burnaby-and-province-tussle-over-cameron-station-1.412533
FYI There are currently two seniors rental buildings and a rental tower (just north of Metrotown) that haven't hit third reading yet. I don't know about Brentwood but both Lougheed and Southgate are planning on having rental units in their developments.
     
     
  #8483  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 5:48 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,725
^ I think the Corrigan bashing is because he seems to takes positions against transit investment that are counter-intuitive for the Mayor of the city that has benefited, arguably, to the greatest proportional degree from investment in rapid transit.

In recent memory are his opposition to the 'Yes' side of the transit referendum, and on topic, choosing to not pursue dipping into Burnaby's $800+ million cash reserves to pay for some or all of Cameron Station straight out of the gate, as the City of Vancouver did with its Property Endowment Fund reserves to pay for Olympic Village Station straight out of the gate for the Canada Line.

I understand that he has strong, well grounded, objections to the Provincial government and its policy making on the transit file, but it's also frustrating as all get out to have principle trump pragmatism at crucial points in a project's planning and construction cycle. Okay, fine, the Province is screwing Metro Vancouver, and how long will it now take to get Cameron Station?
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
     
     
  #8484  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM
finalcoolman finalcoolman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 262
Why do you guys want more stations slowing everything down. you guys are crazy, you want to slow down billion dollar rapid transit to the speed of a bus. I wish Lake City was never built, I hope Woodlands, Queen's and Falcon are also never built. Keep the rapid in rapid .
     
     
  #8485  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 6:10 PM
finalcoolman finalcoolman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post

At any rate my suggestion of a "Siding type station" would literately be adding two switches in each direction, pulling the cars onto a new level section, (thus taking up twice as much space, as having done it properly the first time) possibly beside or above the existing tracks. It would just slow things down since the trains would have to slow down before reaching the switch. It's essentially adding another 120m+ of guideway that didn't need to be added.
This is the shitiest idea ever.
     
     
  #8486  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:53 PM
CanSpice's Avatar
CanSpice CanSpice is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcoolman View Post
Why do you guys want more stations slowing everything down. you guys are crazy, you want to slow down billion dollar rapid transit to the speed of a bus. I wish Lake City was never built, I hope Woodlands, Queen's and Falcon are also never built. Keep the rapid in rapid .
Because the small handful of additional stations would make taking SkyTrain easier for people? An additional stop adds what, an extra minute or two to the commute time?
     
     
  #8487  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 8:17 PM
finalcoolman finalcoolman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 262
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Because the small handful of additional stations would make taking SkyTrain easier for people? An additional stop adds what, an extra minute or two to the commute time?
Small handful? Then why did we spend 1.4 billion for an elevated system, if we want walking distance convenience, just keep the 97 B Line. People who think like you want to DESTROY all the benefits of this expensive line we just built.

An extra two minutes for one station doesn't seem like much, neither does just two dollars, but how would you feel if I added 2 dollars to cost of the lunch you buy every SINGLE DAY!!! With an existing 13 minute travel time, you just made our 1.4 billion dollar transit line 15% SLOWER.

Thankfully, Cameron station is permanently cast in concrete undoable and there is NOTHING you can do about it. I am just worried about the other future stations coming to fruition.

I should point out, the only additional station I agreed with was Lincoln station, because it was at the end of the line, it only affected travel times for those coming from one station; Douglas. But Cameron being right at the mouth of the line, your ****ing with everyone's precious time.

2 minutes x 2 way trip = 4 minutes.

x 5 days a week = 20

x 50 weeks (accounting for vacations) = 17.33 hours a year wasted for each individual x by the tens of thousands of people who use the Evergreen Line from origins East.

I drive and I am proud of it, but for the first time i will use transit when the Evergreen Line becomes operational. But you make it too slow, and I WILL switch back to my lovely leather clad air conditioned car. And yes 15% will make the difference, the same way a 15% price difference can completely make or break your decision of whether you purchase a product or not.

Last edited by finalcoolman; Jun 30, 2015 at 8:29 PM.
     
     
  #8488  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:45 PM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,595
It's kind of funny that people in Vancouver seem to want the Broadway Line to have the same stops at the current 99B - meanwhile outside of the city the call is for Skytrain stations to be much further apart.

I've already said on here that I generally prefer stations to be 1.5 to 2km apart. Sure it's not always possible and sometimes they need to be closer or further apart, but it's something to start from. I've even drawn and re-drawn our local transit maps and tried to figure out where to put stations - have any of you tried doing that? It sure showed me what areas have good vs crappy transit layouts.

BTW as far as distance goes I wasn't keen on a Cameron Station - it's only roughly ('cause I had to follow the road on google maps) 1.2km from Lougheed Station and 1km from Burquitlam Station. I'd much rather see a station between Burquitlam and Moody Centre as that's a long run (at Barnet Hwy would be good spot).
     
     
  #8489  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:47 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I've even drawn and re-drawn our local transit maps and tried to figure out where to put stations - have any of you tried doing that? It sure showed me what areas have good vs crappy transit layouts.
Take a look at the Transit Fantasies thread.
     
     
  #8490  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:52 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
^ I think the Corrigan bashing is because he seems to takes positions against transit investment that are counter-intuitive for the Mayor of the city that has benefited, arguably, to the greatest proportional degree from investment in rapid transit.
I also recently found out that he quashed the expansion of trolley wires in Burnaby because "they are ugly".
     
     
  #8491  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:55 PM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,595
Oh I have. I've done the drawings myself to make sense of the transit system now (and then e-mailed them to TransLink, sometimes with a polite '🞵🞵🞵?' message)
     
     
  #8492  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:57 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Wow. Burnaby mayor sure sounds like another Rob Ford based on what SFUVancouver just said (so true points!). And all this time I thought that Burnaby has been a sensibly run city...
     
     
  #8493  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 10:04 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
To the station distance debacle, my 2 cents are that in comparison to subways in Europe I find Skytrain actually serving its immediate areas quite poorly. Stations are far apart and what's worse, they many times have only one entrance, requiring people to take a longer way to get to the station. With this only people's travel time is 3-5 minutes longer as they have to wait in traffic lights (City Hall being an excellent example). In Berlin almost all stations have 2 entrances at both ends of the platform and some times even 4.

And if the system begins to have too many stations and becomes too slow (we are far from this), then build a paraller express system like in Tokyo and New York have. When we one day will have to twin the Expo stations or guideway to keep up with the demand on this main corridor, we should seriously look into this option. We are not yet there, but it could be a different topic in 15 years.
     
     
  #8494  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 10:05 PM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It's kind of funny that people in Vancouver seem to want the Broadway Line to have the same stops at the current 99B
Most B-Lines stop only where there are transfer points. I think the 99B does this too, with the exception of an additional stop at the hospital. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It does make sense to have stops at least at the major transfer points since most of Skytrain's utility and popularity is due to people's ability to get to it by bus.
     
     
  #8495  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 10:14 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
...

I've already said on here that I generally prefer stations to be 1.5 to 2km apart. Sure it's not always possible and sometimes they need to be closer or further apart, but it's something to start from. I've even drawn and re-drawn our local transit maps and tried to figure out where to put stations - have any of you tried doing that? It sure showed me what areas have good vs crappy transit layouts.

...
When the Canada Line was planned, catchment areas were 400m walking distance from stations.
It's mentioned here:

http://www.6717000.com/blog/2005/12/new-...t-davie-mainland-upsets-local-residents/
     
     
  #8496  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 1:47 AM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
When the Canada Line was planned, catchment areas were 400m walking distance from stations.
It's mentioned here:

http://www.6717000.com/blog/2005/12/new-...t-davie-mainland-upsets-local-residents/
Geez that's small. I just checked and I'm 500m walking distance from a station and I count myself as lucky to have such a short walk.
     
     
  #8497  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 2:02 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,776
     
     
  #8498  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 2:21 AM
queetz@home's Avatar
queetz@home queetz@home is offline
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ortigas
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Geez that's small. I just checked and I'm 500m walking distance from a station and I count myself as lucky to have such a short walk.
That's because these people are LAZY!!! Metro-One was spot on when he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Also, Canadians are a little "thick" as it is, a little extra walking may be good for many.
If they had their way, they would be driven by their destination, which is possible but you do need to pay (i.e. taxi or limo service). But they want that service for free or *someone else* paying for it.

I do agree that Cameron Station isn't necessary. The Lougheed Station is quite nearby, and with the future redevelopment plan, people can even easily *gasp* walk from that station to the Cameron Station area with lots of amenities, services and shops in between that they can take advantage off.

Perhaps Derek Corrigan considered this possibility all along anyway, hence why it maybe ok for him to loose Cameron Station and do a little political grand standing while at it.
     
     
  #8499  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 2:23 AM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,698
Nice find. I love the stereotypical NIMBY with her arms crossed, saying the Yaletown station location will be a congested nightmare.

Even the Opus hotel owner, totally reminds me of a typical Translink hater.. "Of course we support transit, just NIMBY".

LOL. The internet is so great for this stuff.
     
     
  #8500  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 5:33 AM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,595
I'm a little thicker than I'd like to be. I've reached the age where weight wants to be my friend and hang around with me. It doesn't matter that I walk almost every day and ride an exercise bike for at least 30 mins a day... *sigh*
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.