HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6341  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 7:30 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Vancouver







All photos from Rob Hurson: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robhurson/
     
     
  #6342  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 9:28 PM
csbvan's Avatar
csbvan csbvan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,340
I like that hint of Baker in the background of the last shot.
     
     
  #6343  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 1:40 AM
whiteford's Avatar
whiteford whiteford is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,526
ice is bitchin, so's calgary and toronto. heck, they all bitchin.
__________________
North Battleford!?!.... jeez how did this happen?
     
     
  #6344  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:23 AM
The Chemist's Avatar
The Chemist The Chemist is offline
恭喜发财!
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 中国上海/Shanghai
Posts: 8,875
What on earth is wrong with those? That's amazing urbanity right there. Looks quite a bit like central Shanghai, though the streets here are generally a little wider than those in the pictures.
__________________
"Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature." - Michael Faraday (1791-1867)
     
     
  #6345  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:36 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I like that hint of Baker in the background of the last shot.
I especially like how One Wall matches up perfectly with it, almost as if it's the pole that the mountain is held up by.
     
     
  #6346  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:41 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,722
Mount Baker looks almost as cool as Mount Hood. Love to climb it one summer ( Baker).
     
     
  #6347  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:46 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
What on earth is wrong with those? That's amazing urbanity right there. Looks quite a bit like central Shanghai, though the streets here are generally a little wider than those in the pictures.
Maybe your idea of urbanity revolves more around density, but for me architecture is just as important in creating good urbanity. Those apartment buildings with all those AC units attached to them create a pretty oppressive environment. The HK examples were given to show the disparity between European and Far Eastern cities.

A typical Parisian street. It's not even close imo...

https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.873031,2....dhFw-2SZoEshmBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
     
     
  #6348  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:56 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,722
Parisian streets are beautiful but give me London or Amsterdam any day with a little more grit and randomness of architectural styles. European cities have had time to mature unlike most Asian cities that seemed to explode over the last few centuries forcing creative urbanism on a massive scale. I love Hong Kong and I even find the oppressive nature of its design to be fascinating. Next year I'm doing a tour of Japan but I do plan to spend at least 4 days in Hong Kong.
     
     
  #6349  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:56 AM
scrapin scrapin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post






All photos from Rob Hurson: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robhurson/
     
     
  #6350  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 3:01 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,722
I wish One Wall was 800ft. I remember being so excited when it went up but now it seems short in person. I kind of miss it's two tone look as well even though at first I hated it.
     
     
  #6351  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 5:51 AM
Laceoflight's Avatar
Laceoflight Laceoflight is offline
Montérégien
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Montréal, QC <> Paris, FR
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapin View Post
Couldn't agree more!

A recent one from Montreal :

estacade-202819 by Pascal Guay, sur Flickr
     
     
  #6352  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 5:54 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,722
That's an awesome angle I have not seen.
     
     
  #6353  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 9:20 AM
urbandreamer's Avatar
urbandreamer urbandreamer is offline
recession proof
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,656
Yorkville just moments ago:
     
     
  #6354  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 10:36 AM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Parisian streets are beautiful but give me London or Amsterdam any day with a little more grit and randomness of architectural styles. European cities have had time to mature unlike most Asian cities that seemed to explode over the last few centuries forcing creative urbanism on a massive scale. I love Hong Kong and I even find the oppressive nature of its design to be fascinating. Next year I'm doing a tour of Japan but I do plan to spend at least 4 days in Hong Kong.
From the photo-tours posted on this sight is seems like most of Paris has plenty of grit and variability, it's just the old master planned bits built by Napoleon III's ego that are boringly standard.

I still prefer the look of Hong Kong to pretty well anywhere though. At least as streets go. (I do prefer taking things to the next step of urbanisation and pedestrian friendly by removing the cars and adding protection from the elements.)
     
     
  #6355  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:14 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Yorkville just moments ago:

Yorkville looks like a large city all by itself.
     
     
  #6356  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:24 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Yorkville looks like a large city all by itself.
The way things are going, there is a good chance Yorkville will end up with a bigger and more robust skyline than the Toronto Financial District. (excluding Entertainment District/Cityplace)
     
     
  #6357  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 4:25 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,722
One Bloor east is about to Eclipse the 4 seasons.
     
     
  #6358  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 4:48 AM
travis3000's Avatar
travis3000 travis3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Simcoe County, ON
Posts: 6,506
Wait until The One goes up. It will soar past everything.
     
     
  #6359  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 5:14 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,722
Fingers crossed. I truly believe when they release the final design it will sell like buildings did at the height of the boom.
     
     
  #6360  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 5:59 PM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:11 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.