HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7661  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 11:30 PM
Larry King Larry King is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Society Hill, great neighborhood. Fitler Square, great neighborhood. The dull collection of mid-rises along west market from 35th-40th? Not a great neighborhood. It's not really any neighborhood, it looks like Downtown, USA. And these buildings aren't dainty examples of conservative infill. 3601 Market, for example, is a 400k square foot building.
It reminds me of a boring part of DC
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7662  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 1:26 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Comcast agrees to buy NYC ad-tech firm

Quote:
Many industry insiders said Comcast Corp.’s failed attempt to acquire rival Time Warner Cable would not discourage its acquisitive appetite. And on Thursday, the Philadelphia-based media giant agreed to acquire the TV ad-targeting firm Visible World. Terms of the deal were not released.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...cast-agrees-to-buy-nyc-ad-tech-firm.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7663  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 1:28 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
It reminds me of a boring part of DC
I thought the same thing, although a bit taller. When I think DC-in-Philly, I think of the north side of Independence Mall. In fact, when I jog past Franklin Square I always think to myself I'm in "Little DC."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7664  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 1:30 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Interesting Comcast is buying into ad-tech after Verizon bought AOL, which is heavily rooted in the same now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7665  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 2:57 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
It reminds me of a boring part of DC
With good bit more height but without any of the charm. At least DC has wide sidewalks, great tree coverage and solid landscaping. That said, it's still nice to see all the development in University City. Hopefully better architecture is the next thing to come.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7666  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 1:40 PM
skyscraper skyscraper is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,374
Third Comcast Tower

I was talking to a woman at a party last night who claimed to have knowledge of the Comcast situation. I don't know her, I don't know how she could have such knowledge, but she said that a third Comcast tower is not happening. However, she said that a tower could still be built on that site, it just would not be a Comcast building.
I definitely do not have knowledge of this situation, so I can't say one way or the other if this is true. If it were just LPT who owned the site and wanted to develop it, I could see this as a possibility. But since LPT and Comcast own the site jointly, I don't know why else Comcast would be in this partnership other than to build another tower. I don't think they want to get in the real estate development business. But again, I don't know, so does anyone have any information about this?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7667  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 12:43 PM
br323206 br323206 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Society Hill, great neighborhood. Fitler Square, great neighborhood. The dull collection of mid-rises along west market from 35th-40th? Not a great neighborhood. It's not really any neighborhood, it looks like Downtown, USA. And these buildings aren't dainty examples of conservative infill. 3601 Market, for example, is a 400k square foot building.
Well, I think it all depends on context. Fitler Square and Society Hill are two of the best neighborhoods in the entire country, in my opinion. So if that's you're point of comparison, yes it 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. But University City is not just that stretch of Market, and that stretch of Market having mid-rises instead of parking lots benefits the entire neighborhood. Also, the more recent Science Center buildings have been much better about promoting good urban form. I think the point is that spreading the office space out has been good for that part of the city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7668  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 3:09 PM
philly13 philly13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
I was talking to a woman at a party last night who claimed to have knowledge of the Comcast situation. I don't know her, I don't know how she could have such knowledge, but she said that a third Comcast tower is not happening. However, she said that a tower could still be built on that site, it just would not be a Comcast building.
I definitely do not have knowledge of this situation, so I can't say one way or the other if this is true. If it were just LPT who owned the site and wanted to develop it, I could see this as a possibility. But since LPT and Comcast own the site jointly, I don't know why else Comcast would be in this partnership other than to build another tower. I don't think they want to get in the real estate development business. But again, I don't know, so does anyone have any information about this?
Where are these parties where people get around and talk about skyscrapers?...and why am I not there?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7669  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 4:46 PM
wondertwinalpha wondertwinalpha is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 123
1300 Fairmount

Article on development of the lot by the Divine Lorraine on Plan Philly.


http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/06/0...apartments-in-divine-lorraine-s-backyard
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7670  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:11 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
This is awesome news. I'm trying to figure out the relation of this project and the developers to Eric Blumefield and the DL project. The way the article reads, it's as if the projects are separate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7671  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 11:29 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Logan Square Four Seasons to be replaced in the Fall

Quote:
The Four Seasons in Philadelphia shuttered its doors this weekend, ceasing operations after more than 30 years in service.

The hotel closed in order to make way for a soon-to-be-announced hotel brand. The Four Seasons will relocate to the top floors of the Comcast Innovation and Technology Center, which is soon to be the city's tallest skyscraper at 59 stories.

The Four Seasons at Comcast is expected to open in 2018.

The hotel replacing the Four Seasons will open this fall after undergoing renovations, which will include a farm-to-table steakhouse called Urban Farmer and a rooftop lounge.

The Four Seasons and its replacement are just two of the many shakeups going on in Philadelphia’s hotel industry in upcoming years. The Hyatt on Penn’s landing officially changed in February to a Hilton property.

Other hotels expected to enter the market in the next few years are:

Fall 2015 — Roost Rittenhouse on the 1900 block of Chestnut Street

Spring 2016 — AKA University City at 30th and Walnut streets

Fall 2016 — The Study at University City at 33rd and Chestnut streets.

2017 — Aloft Hotel at Broad and Arch streets

2017 — SLS Hotel and Residences at Broad and Spruce streets.

2017 — AC Hotel by Marriott at N. 13th Street.

2018 — W and Element at 15th and Chestnut streets
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/...e-four-seasons-hotel-closes-comcast.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7672  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:08 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
2017 — AC Hotel by Marriott at N. 13th Street.
First I've ever heard of this one.

Wow, those are a lot of hotels! Too bad they'll be coming online after the DNC, lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7673  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 7:21 AM
spacevator spacevator is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 31
Where is new Kimpton hotel on Logan Square in this list?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7674  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:58 PM
loverboie loverboie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 39
I did this image...How I see Philly in 2030...

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7675  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:32 PM
tsarstruck tsarstruck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
First I've ever heard of this one.

Wow, those are a lot of hotels! Too bad they'll be coming online after the DNC, lol.
That's the hotel in Chinatown proposed for the old NFL Films building:

http://m.philly.curbed.com/archives/2014...ed-for-historic-warner-bros-building.php
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7676  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 5:27 PM
sayitaintso sayitaintso is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 364
Other hotels expected to enter the market in the next few years are:

Fall 2015 — Roost Rittenhouse on the 1900 block of Chestnut Street. Other than Pearlstein there is nothing else going on this block

Spring 2016 — AKA University City at 30th and Walnut streetsIs this in the FMC Tower?

2017 — Aloft Hotel at Broad and Arch streets. What is this? A refag?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7677  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:13 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayitaintso View Post
Other hotels expected to enter the market in the next few years are:

Fall 2015 — Roost Rittenhouse on the 1900 block of Chestnut Street. Other than Pearlstein there is nothing else going on this block

Spring 2016 — AKA University City at 30th and Walnut streetsIs this in the FMC Tower?

2017 — Aloft Hotel at Broad and Arch streets. What is this? A refag?
The Roost project is underway. They are rehabbing a building on chestnut and its been going on for a while- I didn't know what was going on there until I read something about this Roost concept a few weeks back.

The aloft project is in the long vacant building at broad and arch. They applied for state funds, but I think they were denied. There have been very few details about this project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7678  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:15 PM
BenKatzPhillytoParis BenKatzPhillytoParis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 313
Norman Foster is speaking at Penn Museum tonight. I wonder if he'll drop any hints about the HUP project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7679  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:34 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
Norman Foster is speaking at Penn Museum tonight. I wonder if he'll drop any hints about the HUP project.
I've seen renderings of it (as well as other posters I think) - it's completely in-scale with the height and context of the other buildings. I must admit I wasn't overwhelmed or underwhelmed - just whelmed. I wouldn't hold your breath for anything game changing - it's going to amount to $1Billion in-fill.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7680  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:40 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I've seen renderings of it (as well as other posters I think) - it's completely in-scale with the height and context of the other buildings. I must admit I wasn't overwhelmed or underwhelmed - just whelmed. I wouldn't hold your breath for anything game changing - it's going to amount to $1Billion in-fill.
Unacceptable...
Have the rendering been made public yet?
HUP should not approve of the design short of being exceptional.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.