HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3181  
Old Posted May 19, 2015, 6:19 PM
hoboman27 hoboman27 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 195
So just caught the news of this China Transit Program being expanded on YVR's forum.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1539057/canada-expands-the-china-transit-program

First time I've heard of this program. When do you think will Calgary be elligible for this? Narita's just been added to the list, and once we get PEK...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/ctp/authorities.asp
     
     
  #3182  
Old Posted May 19, 2015, 8:49 PM
MMMBeer MMMBeer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Sounds like the biggest complainers are in signal hill, they're right at the "entrance" point for the west downwind in south flow, so arrivals from YVR/YYJ/YXX/YLW/LAX/SFO etc. all fly right over them when landing south, whereas they didn't before the parallel opened. They're so high up with clean wings at this point, I don't even know how there's a valid complaint to be made.
I live in the West too, near Signal Hill. I've had no issues with flight noise.

Freaky to see at night plane lights pointing our way (south facing house). But it's certainly not a complaint.
     
     
  #3183  
Old Posted May 19, 2015, 9:22 PM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post


Looking at some of the purple lines, it looks like either HAWCS or GlobalTV helicopter was picked up. I wouldnt want to be in a 737 doing those tight circles.
     
     
  #3184  
Old Posted May 19, 2015, 11:57 PM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,493
Air Transat Winter Changes

Air Transat is rolling out their winter 2015-2016 program.

YYC sees three new routes - all flights are non-stop to/from YYC:

1) New weekly flight to SNU (operated by Air Transat originates in YEG)
2) New weekly flight to CZM (operated by Air Transat originates in YEG)
3) New weekly flight to ZIH (operated by Enerjet)

As mentioned earlier, LGW is gone for the winter... oh well!

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1538...eased-capacity

Last edited by Johnny Aussie; May 20, 2015 at 12:15 AM.
     
     
  #3185  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 12:51 AM
holhm22 holhm22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexle View Post
New animation of the International Terminal at YYC.

• Video Link
Awesome share! Wish they would get rid of those ridiculous looking blue yellow signs though.
     
     
  #3186  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 1:07 AM
Fuzz's Avatar
Fuzz Fuzz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,421
Cool!. Gotta ask though, what's with the blanket hiding something at 5:37?
     
     
  #3187  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 1:08 AM
cyeg66's Avatar
cyeg66 cyeg66 is offline
Contôleur aérien YYC
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Really, really north Leduc
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Air Transat is rolling out their winter 2015-2016 program.

YYC sees three new routes - all flights are non-stop to/from YYC:

1) New weekly flight to SNU (operated by Air Transat originates in YEG)
2) New weekly flight to CZM (operated by Air Transat originates in YEG)
3) New weekly flight to ZIH (operated by Enerjet)

As mentioned earlier, LGW is gone for the winter... oh well!

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1538...eased-capacity
Presumably on their new B738 equipment? Or is it their old and tired A310's or the newer sardine can A330's...? I don't know which is worse, honestly.
Oh well, I guess it's good news.

Edit: Oops, seeing as Enerjet operates one, I guess it's B73G on that one and perhaps A310/332 on the other two.
     
     
  #3188  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 2:21 AM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoboman27 View Post
So just caught the news of this China Transit Program being expanded on YVR's forum.

First time I've heard of this program. When do you think will Calgary be elligible for this? Narita's just been added to the list, and once we get PEK...
Hopefully it will be eligible on opening day. The IFP is being designed with a special "connections centre" specifically to handle this (and other) type(s) of transit. In the new terminal pax can transit from inbound International flights directly to the USA pre-clearance area without going through Canada Customs.

"GO TO AMERICA. Go Directly to the United States. Do not pass Canada Customs. Do not collect $200"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Cool!. Gotta ask though, what's with the blanket hiding something at 5:37?
Gotta keep some surprises for opening day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Air Transat is rolling out their winter 2015-2016 program.

As mentioned earlier, LGW is gone for the winter... oh well!
Too bad about TS to LGW. This may not be a bad thing though, may help send some pax onto BA LHR for the winter and then come S16 Westjet Widebodies to the rescue with resumed YYC-LGW service.

Speaking of the widebodies, they should be arriving soon.. June? July? With 4 frames I wonder if we will see any winter Europe service in addition to HNL & OGG from YYC.

I predict they will play it safe and stick to Hawaii this winter and hopefully experiment some more in the Summer and next Winter!

Last edited by yyc_engineer; May 20, 2015 at 3:05 AM.
     
     
  #3189  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 6:29 AM
Acey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
All I think of when I see that animation is that WestJet's going to be towing airplanes from A to E gates all day long it'll be bonkers
     
     
  #3190  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 12:48 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
All I think of when I see that animation is that WestJet's going to be towing airplanes from A to E gates all day long it'll be bonkers
Does WS or AC have any of those fancy tugs that lift up the nose gear? I'm guessing they'd be the best bet for hauling planes around all day long.
     
     
  #3191  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 1:29 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeg66 View Post
The way you insinuated yourself into a thread brandishing a mallet, (over what was a joke, no less) you can expect to get bugged a bit.
Dude, that was a stupid joke, and i wasn't the only one thinking that. I apparently was the only one that verbalized it. Is there a rule somewhere that states I can't express my factual opinion on the matter? That's who I am and that's what I do.

btw, I don't do mallets. Too dirty. I'm more of an AK47 kind of a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeg66 View Post
what exactly is your beef with anything Alberta/YYC. Did your corn flakes have extra sprinkles one morning? It's not such a bad place, you know, but then again, I speak from experience, having lived in both.
What exactly did i post that makes you think I have a beef with YYC? Does that mean i have a beef with MEL, PER and YEG as well, because i didn't differentiate between any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeg66 View Post
P.s. Don't take things so seriously. You'll need to go on heart medication and that won't bode well for your next medical..
I'm not too worried bud.....a blind one legged goat with asthma can pass a medical if it went to see my doctor !
     
     
  #3192  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 2:01 PM
Full Mountain's Avatar
Full Mountain Full Mountain is offline
YIMBY
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Cool!. Gotta ask though, what's with the blanket hiding something at 5:37?
Public Art?
     
     
  #3193  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 3:35 PM
cyeg66's Avatar
cyeg66 cyeg66 is offline
Contôleur aérien YYC
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Really, really north Leduc
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Dude, that was a stupid joke, and i wasn't the only one thinking that. I apparently was the only one that verbalized it. Is there a rule somewhere that states I can't express my factual opinion on the matter? That's who I am and that's what I do.

btw, I don't do mallets. Too dirty. I'm more of an AK47 kind of a guy



What exactly did i post that makes you think I have a beef with YYC? Does that mean i have a beef with MEL, PER and YEG as well, because i didn't differentiate between any of them.



I'm not too worried bud.....a blind one legged goat with asthma can pass a medical if it went to see my doctor !
...So....much...bait..............must.......resist.......urge........to....respond....
     
     
  #3194  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 3:36 PM
cyeg66's Avatar
cyeg66 cyeg66 is offline
Contôleur aérien YYC
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Really, really north Leduc
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
All I think of when I see that animation is that WestJet's going to be towing airplanes from A to E gates all day long it'll be bonkers
Lol, I was thinking the same thing. Hope they have a new fleet of tugs because they're gonna be racking up the miles....
     
     
  #3195  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 6:02 PM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 5,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc_engineer View Post

Too bad about TS to LGW. This may not be a bad thing though, may help send some pax onto BA LHR for the winter and then come S16 Westjet Widebodies to the rescue with resumed YYC-LGW service.

Speaking of the widebodies, they should be arriving soon.. June? July? With 4 frames I wonder if we will see any winter Europe service in addition to HNL & OGG from YYC.

I predict they will play it safe and stick to Hawaii this winter and hopefully experiment some more in the Summer and next Winter!
Last I heard (over this past weekend) was the airframes might show up about August. At least some pilots are starting ground school (home based study) in June and sim training in mid July, finishing towards the end of the month.
     
     
  #3196  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 7:32 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
I'm really digging the Tartan Tale. It be cool if they painted one of widebody tails in a Hawaiian Flower pattern (think cross between Ohana and Pualani Tails but in WestJet colours).

I know this is already a JetBlue thing but it would be cool if WestJet started something similar, to celebrate milestones/new aircraft etc. Not all the planes, but some of of them. It would especially be fitting since success on the Hawaii routes was a driving factor for ordering the 767's. If anyone from Westjet Marketing is stalking the forums I'm Talkin' To You!



     
     
  #3197  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 10:58 PM
Acey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I want them to pay homage to Alberta, or Canada for that matter, before they worry about Hawaii. Scotland. Cool. Magic Plane is cool. But put some mountains or a wild rose or something.
     
     
  #3198  
Old Posted May 20, 2015, 11:40 PM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyeg66 View Post
Presumably on their new B738 equipment? Or is it their old and tired A310's or the newer sardine can A330's...? I don't know which is worse, honestly.
Oh well, I guess it's good news.

Edit: Oops, seeing as Enerjet operates one, I guess it's B73G on that one and perhaps A310/332 on the other two.
Just looked in OAG and both of the Air Transat operated flights will in fact be on the 737-800s seating 189.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc_engineer View Post
Too bad about TS to LGW. This may not be a bad thing though, may help send some pax onto BA LHR for the winter and then come S16 Westjet Widebodies to the rescue with resumed YYC-LGW service.
TS to LGW is only gone for the winter from October to April. Summer 2016 back to the 3 weekly as in this summer and the past few summers.
     
     
  #3199  
Old Posted May 21, 2015, 5:09 AM
Acey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
737-800s seating 189.
Yuck. Okay, Ryanair...
     
     
  #3200  
Old Posted May 21, 2015, 1:37 PM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Does WS or AC have any of those fancy tugs that lift up the nose gear? I'm guessing they'd be the best bet for hauling planes around all day long.
WS does have a towbarless tug, aka high speed tow.

Just saw TAC pull up a 738 to gate 36 while I head off to ORD.

Last edited by Cage; May 21, 2015 at 11:14 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:27 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.