HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5901  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 9:16 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Vancouver

     
     
  #5902  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 12:27 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Downtown Toronto has obscene amounts of space for new tall tower development. That third to last shot of the Yonge - Bay Corridor really speaks to what is possible in a very tightly controlled space.

Last edited by caltrane74; May 11, 2015 at 4:29 PM.
     
     
  #5903  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 3:53 PM
The_Architect's Avatar
The_Architect The_Architect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,385
I've said it before and I'll say it again... It's amazing that low-rise residential neighbourhood around the AGO/Grange Park has survived like that with all the development surrounding it. I know it has a nice older stock of housing but still.
     
     
  #5904  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 4:19 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Wonderful !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
     
     
  #5905  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 4:28 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
I think I'm in love with Hamilton's City Hall.
     
     
  #5906  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 6:37 PM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,273
     
     
  #5907  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 7:09 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
I don't usually find waterfront shots of Toronto's skyline very appealing, but I really like this one. It's a lower shot, and really shows a sense of the heft of the downtown.
     
     
  #5908  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 7:20 PM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I think I'm in love with Hamilton's City Hall.
It's a good building, especially now that they cleaned it up. The parking lot in back is a bit unfortunate, but the front is solid.
     
     
  #5909  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 7:25 PM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
The #1 thing that strikes about that Toronto photo is how asymmetrical that skyline view is. So much more to the east of the CN Tower than to the west...
     
     
  #5910  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 7:44 PM
edm_guy's Avatar
edm_guy edm_guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 174
Not a fan of HDR, but this photo gives a cool perspective of the west portion of the Edmonton skyline with the new arena


http://www.rogersplace.com/gallery/
     
     
  #5911  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 8:07 PM
The_Architect's Avatar
The_Architect The_Architect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The #1 thing that strikes about that Toronto photo is how asymmetrical that skyline view is. So much more to the east of the CN Tower than to the west...
Funny enough it's the CN Tower that was built so much further west than everything else, not the other way around.

Toronto first centred around Front and Parliament, and then started moving west before using Yonge street as it's divide. Then it was Bay street. Now because of the entertainment district and CityPlace it looks like the heft of the skyline (at least from the water) is moving even more west, at least the middle of it.
     
     
  #5912  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 8:09 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,369
Just got back from a road trip last week passing through QC, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, and Niagara Falls. I gotta say I definitely developed a much greater respect for Montreal skyline. Up close, the variety of building styles, layering, arrangement, and nightime lighting are really made to impress. The architecture on Maisonneuve could be better though. I feel like a lot of those concrete residential towers in the western part of downtown could use more ground level retail and could have their facades renovated to make them more attractive. But I just love the views looking south seeing buildings like Aldred or 1250 René-Lévesque with their lighting schemes is just sensational. Also, I really can't say how happy I am about he gaps being filled on the western part of Rene Levesque. For me that was central Montreal's weakest area. I also found it incredibly cool to see the night skyline off in the distance looking north from autoroute de l'Acrier because I assumed it would be too far from downtown.

Toronto I feel like is still growing into its skyline in a way. It's scale is definitely gigantic relative to Montreal but I just find there is so much "texture" so to speak and too few landmarks - and the landmarks are kind of grouped really tightly in the financial district. Once there are more landmark buildings more off on their own (such as Aura) I think the skyline will have a stronger presence. Overall, Toronto is more impressive from a distance and Montreal I find more impressive up close.

Ottawa I find really stunning and enjoyable but not so much for the skyline. I didn't spend very much time there but the downtown - especially Wellington and Elgin are just beautiful. One thing that makes me laugh though is coming in from the east from Monteal they show the "welcome to Ottawa" sign when you're in the middle of nowhere and just surrounded by farms and fields and just driving along thinking "Hmm, I was expecting something a little less farmey and a little more urban LOL". It was like another 10 minutes of driving before I actually saw anything hehe.

Quebec City kind of gives me an inferiority complex from the cityscape but of course the population is like double the size of Halifax. But I'm not sure that even two of our urban cores could equal that. The built form is just phenomenal for a city that size. I think the core could even anchor a city 2-3 times that size. #depressed

I can't say I'm terribly jealous of the skyline but it is way more visable than ours since it's on such high ground whereas ours is at the bottom of a hill. Coming into town at night and seeing it looming in the distance from autoroute Felix Leclerc for the first time is an incredibly cool experience.

But overall, the biggest impression I got from this trip is, Canadian and Quebecois cities are NOT meant to be accessed and enjoyed by car. Traffic is horrible (like I honestly had no real comprehension), parking is expensive and confusing, and the urban landscape is too finely knit to take in at higher speeds. All of which is a good thing. We just need stronger public transit higher transit modal split and we'll be all set.
     
     
  #5913  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 8:15 PM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Just got back from a road trip last week passing through QC, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, and Niagara Falls. I gotta say I definitely developed a much greater respect for Montreal skyline. Up close, the variety of building styles, layering, arrangement, and nightime lighting are really made to impress. The architecture on Maisonneuve could be better though. I feel like a lot of those concrete residential towers in the western part of downtown could use more ground level retail and could have their facades renovated to make them more attractive. But I just love the views looking south seeing buildings like Aldred or 1250 René-Lévesque with their lighting schemes is just sensational. Also, I really can't say how happy I am about he gaps being filled on the western part of Rene Levesque. For me that was central Montreal's weakest area. I also found it incredibly cool to see the night skyline off in the distance looking north from autoroute de l'Acrier because I assumed it would be too far from downtown.

Toronto I feel like is still growing into its skyline in a way. It's scale is definitely gigantic relative to Montreal but I just find there is so much "texture" so to speak and too few landmarks - and the landmarks are kind of grouped really tightly in the financial district. Once there are more landmark buildings more off on their own (such as Aura) I think the skyline will have a stronger presence. Overall, Toronto is more impressive from a distance and Montreal I find more impressive up close.

Ottawa I find really stunning and enjoyable but not so much for the skyline. I didn't spend very much time there but the downtown - especially Wellington and Elgin are just beautiful. One thing that makes me laugh though is coming in from the east from Monteal they show the "welcome to Ottawa" sign when you're in the middle of nowhere and just surrounded by farms and fields and just driving along thinking "Hmm, I was expecting something a little less farmey and a little more urban LOL". It was like another 10 minutes of driving before I actually saw anything hehe.

Quebec City kind of gives me an inferiority complex from the cityscape but of course the population is like double the size of Halifax. But I'm not sure that even two of our urban cores could equal that. The built form is just phenomenal for a city that size. I think the core could even anchor a city 2-3 times that size. #depressed

I can't say I'm terribly jealous of the skyline but it is way more visable than ours since it's on such high ground whereas ours is at the bottom of a hill. Coming into town at night and seeing it looming in the distance from autoroute Felix Leclerc for the first time is an incredibly cool experience.

But overall, the biggest impression I got from this trip is, Canadian and Quebecois cities are NOT meant to be accessed and enjoyed by car. Traffic is horrible (like I honestly had no real comprehension), parking is expensive and confusing, and the urban landscape is too finely knit to take in at higher speeds. All of which is a good thing. We just need stronger public transit higher transit modal split and we'll be all set.
Sounds like a nice solid trip. Did you get a peak at Hamilton at all? Any opinions on Niagara?
     
     
  #5914  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 8:34 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,369
I didn't visit Hamilton; I just saw the steel plants from the QEW. I would have visited had I had more time though. Niagara Falls I wish I had spent more time in but I left later in the day than I should have and the traffic on the QEW wasted an obscene amount of time. I honestly was completely unprepared for a 6 lane freeway to be stop and go congested so far from Toronto. I averaged like 5km/h all the way from the middle of the skyway to past Grimsby. NF seems to be beautiful, relaxed and leafy. I love that parkway heading into town and there are some gorgeous parks and an interesting botanical garden or something I drove by but it was getting dark so I didn't stop. It was mostly the falls itself I focused on which of course is an awesome work of nature. The sound and vibration is just amazing.
     
     
  #5915  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 8:57 PM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is offline
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 20,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I think I'm in love with Hamilton's City Hall.
City Hall is looking great this spring

CityofHamilton
https://twitter.com/cityofhamilton
     
     
  #5916  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:02 PM
Tone's Avatar
Tone Tone is offline
Riki beach
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rimouski, Qc
Posts: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Just got back from a road trip last week passing through QC, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, and Niagara Falls. I gotta say I definitely developed a much greater respect for Montreal skyline. Up close, the variety of building styles, layering, arrangement, and nightime lighting are really made to impress. The architecture on Maisonneuve could be better though. I feel like a lot of those concrete residential towers in the western part of downtown could use more ground level retail and could have their facades renovated to make them more attractive. But I just love the views looking south seeing buildings like Aldred or 1250 René-Lévesque with their lighting schemes is just sensational. Also, I really can't say how happy I am about he gaps being filled on the western part of Rene Levesque. For me that was central Montreal's weakest area. I also found it incredibly cool to see the night skyline off in the distance looking north from autoroute de l'Acrier because I assumed it would be too far from downtown.

Toronto I feel like is still growing into its skyline in a way. It's scale is definitely gigantic relative to Montreal but I just find there is so much "texture" so to speak and too few landmarks - and the landmarks are kind of grouped really tightly in the financial district. Once there are more landmark buildings more off on their own (such as Aura) I think the skyline will have a stronger presence. Overall, Toronto is more impressive from a distance and Montreal I find more impressive up close.

Ottawa I find really stunning and enjoyable but not so much for the skyline. I didn't spend very much time there but the downtown - especially Wellington and Elgin are just beautiful. One thing that makes me laugh though is coming in from the east from Monteal they show the "welcome to Ottawa" sign when you're in the middle of nowhere and just surrounded by farms and fields and just driving along thinking "Hmm, I was expecting something a little less farmey and a little more urban LOL". It was like another 10 minutes of driving before I actually saw anything hehe.

Quebec City kind of gives me an inferiority complex from the cityscape but of course the population is like double the size of Halifax. But I'm not sure that even two of our urban cores could equal that. The built form is just phenomenal for a city that size. I think the core could even anchor a city 2-3 times that size. #depressed

I can't say I'm terribly jealous of the skyline but it is way more visable than ours since it's on such high ground whereas ours is at the bottom of a hill. Coming into town at night and seeing it looming in the distance from autoroute Felix Leclerc for the first time is an incredibly cool experience.

But overall, the biggest impression I got from this trip is, Canadian and Quebecois cities are NOT meant to be accessed and enjoyed by car. Traffic is horrible (like I honestly had no real comprehension), parking is expensive and confusing, and the urban landscape is too finely knit to take in at higher speeds. All of which is a good thing. We just need stronger public transit higher transit modal split and we'll be all set.
That's really cool man!

Just a little correction: its Autoroute de l'Acier (acier: steel) and its probably my favorite view of the skyline, specially at night. Its a real fun new stretch of highway with nice little interchanges and bridges, isn't it!
     
     
  #5917  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:27 PM
ssiguy ssiguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Wonderful !
Thanks for that Van pic........it's a very interesting angle and shows a lot of the more mid-rise historic structures in the Gastown/DES area.

Toronto has a lot of towers and a truly monsterous skyline but my favorite part has always been Bloor/Yorkville in terms of skylines. It seems to have grown more organically, has no monster developments, has a better variety of modern styles, the buildings are better spaced, and it doesn't have that volcano shape that downtown does.
     
     
  #5918  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:03 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Quebec City kind of gives me an inferiority complex from the cityscape but of course the population is like double the size of Halifax. But I'm not sure that even two of our urban cores could equal that. The built form is just phenomenal for a city that size. I think the core could even anchor a city 2-3 times that size. #depressed
The Quebec-Halifax comparison is interesting. The two cities were at one point similar (in the 40's and 50's) but ended up taking different paths. Quebec is better preserved but Halifax ended up with, proportionally, way more post-war development. To some degree I think Halifax had more pressure to follow this path; it is the business centre for the region, whereas Montreal serves that function and Quebec is more government and tourism oriented. I don't think NS can support a mid-sized capital city based substantially on provincial government spending and tourism. Victoria is like Quebec City too in some ways and it is also a small capital in a big province. Victoria is more polished and Halifax is grittier but more developed.

In the 80's and 90's the preservation-oriented path seemed strictly better because the old neighbourhoods were so much better than the parking lots, highways, and office towers that were built. Today though I think it's getting murkier and murkier. When the dust settles in downtown Halifax after all the construction that's happening today I think it'll be a lot more vibrant than it would have been had the lion's share of the pre-war building stock been preserved. The mix of old and new buildings is also pretty interesting.

Last edited by someone123; May 12, 2015 at 2:14 AM.
     
     
  #5919  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 3:25 AM
Bcasey25raptor's Avatar
Bcasey25raptor Bcasey25raptor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver Suburbs
Posts: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Wonderful !
I'm not seeing the picture
     
     
  #5920  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 3:35 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Beautiful East Vancouver and Burnaby.

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.