^^^ Few factors to consider.
The type of mullions used will have an effect on maintenance. I have both extruded aluminum mullion caps and a polyeurathane soft seal on my different systems. Care must be taken to ensure that the drain ports on the aluminum stay clear, so that is done yearly. The soft seals last about 10-15 years. To re-caulk a.. say.. 29 story tower will be in the half million range.
Then there's the anchor bolts.. I have them re-torqued every five years. curtian walls must be able to move so having seized or over tight bolts is bad. Too loose is bad too. Either condition can cause breakage to vision units.
Depending on the type of spandrel, there's some maintenance there too. I have both tempered glass and granite spandred panels. Don't need to do much to the tempered glass, but the granite needs a polish every 5-7 years. The tempered mullions are less maintenance but have their issues.. I've replaced two in the past month due to high winds and flying debris. It's a $5-10k hit every time you have to send a swingstage over the edge.
Vision units will need to start being changed out long before the system reaches the end of it's serviceable lifespan. Curtian wall vision units need to be changes out from the outside. Glass in a window wall frame can be changed from the inside. So much higher costs for the former.
Then there's in inevitable moisture breach through the gaskets, failed seal in the sealed units, all of those things happen, even to well installed systems, in our climate.
I've been working with curtain wall systems for a fairly long time now. Sure there are advantages (one of the biggest is a tight building seal for positive pressurization, which is almost impossible in a rezzi building, rendering that benefit moot) but in rezzi applications, where costs are a concern and maintenance doesn't happen to the extent that it should, There are concerns. I'd care less if I was buying brand new but I'd be really cautious about an older building with said systems. And new buildings will be old sooner or later.
I suppose you could say that curtain wall is like an S4. 🞵🞵🞵🞵 and sleek, just make sure you don't own it once the warranty is up
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
Last edited by 240glt; May 8, 2015 at 9:49 PM.
|