Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai
Based on what it looks like I'm going to go with someone in the planning department (of who? Translink or the city?) specifically told EGL construction to build it because there are plans on the book somewhere to expand the width of it, and obviously they can't do that if they have to rip up the EGL tracks, or build a more expensive bridge.
Another possibility is that there might be a track protection/suicide-net that covers the tracks like at Broadway and Commercial's Grandview cut area that all the trash collects on.
|
I'm not inside Port Moody City Hall, but I certainly watch and listen there. Can be pretty certain this didn't come from the City. A general problem all through design and construction has been lack of communication and coordination between TransLink, Province, City and EGRT, with fault on all sided I would say. If there were proper coordination, we might have the very desirable bike lane.
The vandalism (and suicide, I suppose) prevention device is a tall fence added last year, and extending above the CPR tracks, which were previously completely "unprotected."
There are rumblings in PoMo that, when another overpass is built farther west, to serve redevelopment of the sawmill site (NOT the Murray-Clarke Connector) that the current overpass might carry one-way car traffic only, so there would be little or no reason to make it wider.
BTW, Mill and Timber had initiated public consultaion on the waterfront redevelopment:
http://www.flavelleoceanfront.ca