Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon
(1) Thanks Cage,
(2) I didn't realize security was moving to a central location (not sure I am a fan of that but I suppose I will need to see how it all comes together).
(3) In my initial question I was actually referring to the 3rd level of both Concourse A and C and the oh so long walk inside the main terminal from A over to Canadian Customs. You come off the jetway and go up a level and follow that all the way to customs before dropping back down. Those spaces will now be empty.
|
(1) Your welcome.
(2) Central large security stations work great if you have Nexus/Known Traveller Number or priority security privileges. Large central located security also works during off peak because short term blips in demand can be more readily accommodated.
Instances where larges central security stations don't work include:
- passengers travelling short distances,
- passengers departing on nonhub airline when hub airline has a major departure bank,
- passengers who arrive late (at or near checkin cutoff).
Passengers and security staff benefit from the increased efficiency of conducting operations from a single location.
Personally I am infavour of central security because they tend to keep Nexus and other Known Traveller Lanes open for longer periods. Additionally the Nexus lanes at larger locations are dedicated to people with a valid known traveller number, where as current Nexus lanes at YYC get supplemented with general public.
3) The primary concept for the international inbound corridors is that concourse A gets rendered useless while concourse B gets complete renovated with the corridors removed as part of renos. That said I anticipate that YYC will be similar to YYZ, SFO, YVR, etc; after major redevelopment the airport is out of cash and must hlat redevelopment of old terminal building to pay for the new terminal building going over budget.
In YYC case, I suspect they will complete the central domestic checkpoint renos and then halt further development on the concourses. The central terminal renos are paid for through increased retail revenue from the new food court and retail hall post security.