HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #461  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 4:39 PM
todspe67 todspe67 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Some sort of reconfiguration of the Transitway ramps. Heard about it a ways back.
That'll be nice - it's a pain to have to merge into traffic only to merge back out again. Excellent!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #462  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 5:51 PM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
Work appears to have now started on the Kent Street bridge replacement. I'm not sure how this one is going to be done. Another rapid replacement? If so, where's the staging area?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #463  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:08 PM
HighwayStar's Avatar
HighwayStar HighwayStar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PHX (by way of YOW)
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Work appears to have now started on the Kent Street bridge replacement. I'm not sure how this one is going to be done. Another rapid replacement? If so, where's the staging area?
(based on info from friend in immediate area who had visit from local Councillor explaining the procedure)

Yes... rapid replacement.

Staging area is being built on the South side of the 417, immediately east of Kent (you can see it in front of you when exiting Kent EB). I am extremely curious to see it all fit there... time will tell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #464  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 7:04 PM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
That makes sense based on what I saw. The entire south side embankment between Chamberlain and the highway had its grass torn out and they were digging through it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #465  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 1:32 AM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
(based on info from friend in immediate area who had visit from local Councillor explaining the procedure)

Yes... rapid replacement.

Staging area is being built on the South side of the 417, immediately east of Kent (you can see it in front of you when exiting Kent EB). I am extremely curious to see it all fit there... time will tell.
It seems that they need to do a lot of levelling to make that into a staging area. I wonder whether they will use it again for the Bank St. bridge once they are done with Kent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #466  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 12:12 PM
HighwayStar's Avatar
HighwayStar HighwayStar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PHX (by way of YOW)
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
It seems that they need to do a lot of levelling to make that into a staging area. I wonder whether they will use it again for the Bank St. bridge once they are done with Kent.
Good point... the info my friend received was that "everything would be put back the way it was and re-landscaped".... whether thats before or after the Bank St bridge remains to be seen...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #467  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 1:06 PM
Richard Eade Richard Eade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nepean
Posts: 2,680
I thought that it would have been easier to simply level the old School Board building and use that flat space. I guess that couldn't happen fast enough to have the replacement structure ready for the scheduled swap.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #468  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 1:21 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Good point... the info my friend received was that "everything would be put back the way it was and re-landscaped".... whether thats before or after the Bank St bridge remains to be seen...
I got the same leaflet. It was non-specific on timing. My guess is that we'll see that staging area used for several years.

My understanding was also that the school board building would be demolished and that site would be used as the staging area. I think the change was a question of timing. The demolition of that building has been delayed numerous times. I suspect that they will still use that site for the Bronson replacement, but that means the Chamberlain re-alignment would be delayed until after the bridge replacement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #469  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 1:50 PM
Mulder Mulder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I got the same leaflet. It was non-specific on timing. My guess is that we'll see that staging area used for several years.

My understanding was also that the school board building would be demolished and that site would be used as the staging area. I think the change was a question of timing. The demolition of that building has been delayed numerous times. I suspect that they will still use that site for the Bronson replacement, but that means the Chamberlain re-alignment would be delayed until after the bridge replacement.
The Bronson Ave bridge doesn't look like it's a candidate for rapid replacement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #470  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 2:55 PM
KevinH KevinH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I got the same leaflet. It was non-specific on timing. My guess is that we'll see that staging area used for several years.

My understanding was also that the school board building would be demolished and that site would be used as the staging area. I think the change was a question of timing. The demolition of that building has been delayed numerous times. I suspect that they will still use that site for the Bronson replacement, but that means the Chamberlain re-alignment would be delayed until after the bridge replacement.
Demolition setup began this morning. I was walking by and saw the lawn by the entrance dug up. I spoke to the foreman and he said that this is the start of the building demolition.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #471  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 5:04 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
The Bronson Ave bridge doesn't look like it's a candidate for rapid replacement.
Why do you say that? My understanding is that is the plan. The City has used the constraints of that process to make it clear that there is no room for wider sidewalks or cycling facilities under that bridge.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #472  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 5:05 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Demolition setup began this morning. I was walking by and saw the lawn by the entrance dug up. I spoke to the foreman and he said that this is the start of the building demolition.
Interesting. I wonder what that means for the timing of the other projects.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #473  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 6:32 PM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
The Bronson ramp realignment onto Chamberlain is not intended to be built until 2017 IIRC, so MTO is being early. I know MTO is planning on using both that property as well as a stretch of vacant land near the O-Train line for rapid replacement staging in the central area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #474  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 6:41 PM
Mulder Mulder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Why do you say that? My understanding is that is the plan. The City has used the constraints of that process to make it clear that there is no room for wider sidewalks or cycling facilities under that bridge.
The abutments look to be directly connected to each structure piece. 7 in total. So your not just lifting the span of the bridge, but the abutments as well. And doing the replacement in a similar manner.

I'm not sure what's behind that abutment/wingwalls, but as soon as you lift out the old bridge you'll find out awfully quick.

If they can do it great, but as I said it doesn't look to be a candidate for rapid replacement. It's likely going to be a long-long summer when they have to do that thing in 3-4 stages.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #475  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 12:02 AM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is offline
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,705
The first full-colour graphics I've seen on the VMS, yesterday and today (it was more colourful in person).

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #476  
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 2:31 PM
MoreTrains MoreTrains is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 858
Nice
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #477  
Old Posted May 15, 2015, 12:02 PM
MaxHeadroom's Avatar
MaxHeadroom MaxHeadroom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 189
Except that I have never seen any message on the sign relating to traffic flow like they do in the GTA. There was a message about weekend lane closures - once, but that's about it. So I continue to rely on Google Maps for my commuting traffic info.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #478  
Old Posted May 15, 2015, 2:41 PM
hwy418 hwy418 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHeadroom View Post
Except that I have never seen any message on the sign relating to traffic flow like they do in the GTA. There was a message about weekend lane closures - once, but that's about it. So I continue to rely on Google Maps for my commuting traffic info.
That's because in the GTA the ATMS system include real time feeds from the traffic loops to the Operations Centre. That system has the ability to relay live traffic information to the VMS signs.

We don't have that level of automation in Ottawa... yet. Many traffic loops were installed on Highway 417 (Hwy 7 to Hwy 416) and in the east from Nicholas to 417/OR174 split - there is potential to provide live feeds in the near future, but for now we rely on the operator looking at traffic cameras to change the sign messages.

Many more signs are planned for Ottawa so its just a matter of time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #479  
Old Posted May 16, 2015, 4:23 AM
BenTheGreat97's Avatar
BenTheGreat97 BenTheGreat97 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy418 View Post
Many more signs are planned for Ottawa so its just a matter of time.
Do you know where exactly? Because I know there's supposed to be one on the 417 eastbound at Moodie, but I see no preparations for it anywhere, and haven't heard of any more going up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #480  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 4:11 AM
Philott Philott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Supports are up for two new signs. WB near Vanier and EB near Vanier.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.