HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5341  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:29 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Around two weeks ago we saw two more suites in the Carina and Callisto buildings in Coal Harbour area of Downtown Vancouver. First one was on the 9th floor of Carina. A good size units, but the curvy outer wall made it not very practical. Photos taken on a rainy Sunday.





The other suite was located on the other side of Callisto, on the 18th floor. This time the weather was better.





I somehow like the Escala building next door. It has the very best location in all of Coal Harbour and prices are like that.



The view of Burrard Inlet and the North Shore mountains was absolutely spectacular even though we were only halfway up the tower!





From this side of the building there is a nice open view of Coal Harbour waterfront.





And here is the whole view. Definitely not bad view, but the asking price for this suite was one thousand more than our budget is, so there was really no room for negotiation. Otherwise we would have taken the suite.

The reason why we event went to see this overpriced suite was because the rental agent called us and wanted to show it. So we thought what the heck and at least we got some nice photos to remember. I hope you enjoyed.

     
     
  #5342  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:47 AM
Mrs Sauga Mrs Sauga is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader View Post
I think that there's a beauty to just ending - definite - urban/rural - typical of prairie cities. Grim aesthetics - it's in the eye of the beholder.
I think its kinda neat too.

I don't think the original comment is a dig. Its something very noticeable about that pic that is definitely worth pointing out. I noticed it too and I personally think its cool.
     
     
  #5343  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:03 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Awe damn I missed the whole quasi argument? Darn

Guess I'd better just post some skylines then!!


Calgary

http://www.peakaerials.com/project-sheet/the-bow-building/#


Edmonton

http://www.stockaerialphotos.com/-/galle...-11e3-a867-49d81daa6362-edmonton-alberta
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #5344  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:49 AM
isaidso isaidso is online now
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Funny how the city just, ends there.
Most cities sort of do that unless you're in an extremely dense part of the world like the Netherlands. Surprisingly I even noticed it when approaching Paris on the train from London. It's rolling hills for about 45 minutes then all of a sudden it's built up residential... and you're in Paris. Same thing when you drive south into Toronto. It's woods then boom, you're in Vaughan, a northern suburb.

Cities surrounded by heavily wooded areas mask the abrupt change from nothing to suburbia a little bit but it's more an illusion than anything else. Some cities see a gradual build up of industrial parks, warehouses, distribution centres, and satellite towns leading into a city but even there it depends on which side one enters from. I imagine New York and Tokyo differ in that regard but for most cities, even big ones, the change from nothing to city is quite abrupt.
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT
     
     
  #5345  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:25 AM
prat prat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
OK, I think posting from Stock Aerial Photos/Peak Aerial might be cheating for this thread... there are just too many amazing photos! Big ups Prat and your team.
Thanks!
     
     
  #5346  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 7:29 AM
TallBob TallBob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,135
Looking at that aerial of Edmonton, I can just imagine what "Stanteck" is going to look like and the effect it will have on the skyline!
     
     
  #5347  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 10:23 AM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I imagine New York and Tokyo differ in that regard but for most cities, even big ones, the change from nothing to city is quite abrupt.
Coming from the North, New York is not so different. The city abruptly ends at Mahwah just before entering the Catskills. I don't think you get the same effect when coming from pretty much every other direction though. When coming from the Southwest you've pratically been driving in a urban area since DC.
     
     
  #5348  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 1:49 PM
thorncliffer thorncliffer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Love this pic. Really shows the density of Downtown MTL. I bet all the new towers will make a great impact.
     
     
  #5349  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:17 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Looking at that aerial of Edmonton, I can just imagine what "Stanteck" is going to look like and the effect it will have on the skyline!
Funny, because Stantec won't actually be visible in that last aerial.

What is changing in that photo though is the addition of the arena, Ultima, Fox I & II, Hendrix, and the new Norquest expansion. With any luck, we'll also see the addition of Brad Lamb's two new towers, and the three Healy site towers soon, among a few others.
     
     
  #5350  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:24 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
I kinda like how small the Calgary region is, I can be in the countryside in 20 minutes from downtown, but I get all the benefits of living in a major urban centre.
__________________
Git'er done!
     
     
  #5351  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:59 PM
VivaPhysicality VivaPhysicality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Prairie Transplant in Vancouver
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I kinda like how small the Calgary region is, I can be in the countryside in 20 minutes from downtown, but I get all the benefits of living in a major urban centre.
Vancouver is like that too, and it's amazing. Pure wilderness 20 minutes from downtown.

On the other hand, part of me also wishes Vancouver was the size of Toronto or bigger. There would just be more stuff to do in the city.

In a perfect world, I'd have quick access to mountains, rainforest, and ocean but also have quick access to a multicultural megacity.
     
     
  #5352  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 7:53 PM
Dylan Leblanc's Avatar
Dylan Leblanc Dylan Leblanc is online now
Website Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
...the asking price for this suite was one thousand more than our budget is, so there was really no room for negotiation...
Like the photos!

Do you mean the price was 100 thousand over your budget?
     
     
  #5353  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:12 PM
SkahHigh's Avatar
SkahHigh SkahHigh is offline
More transit please
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,794
     
     
  #5354  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:25 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I kinda like how small the Calgary region is, I can be in the countryside in 20 minutes from downtown, but I get all the benefits of living in a major urban centre.
Agreed. Also Calgary's natural landscapes really set it apart for me. Fish Creek, Nose Hill, Edworthy Park and the whole Weaselhead all feel pretty much like you're in the middle of nature. You can completely forget you're in the city. I know Edmonton's river valley has some nice park space too but I think Calgary's still got more natural parks.
     
     
  #5355  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 11:11 PM
ZeDgE ZeDgE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Lol, everyone's so passive-aggressive. Calgary guy is offended that a Quebecer says his city "just ends there", because he assumes it's a dig in the context of Montreal's extensive urbanity, and retorts with a disingenuous question. The reality is that sunbelt cities (Calgary, Phoenix, LA, etc) all "just ends there" quite vividly and in ways worthy of comment sometimes. Not too different from Toronto's 905. It's more sustainable than east-coast sprawl, though the aesthetics are somewhat grim.

Just let it out!
lol I was not offended but ok.

     
     
  #5356  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 11:16 PM
csbvan's Avatar
csbvan csbvan is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaPhysicality View Post
Vancouver is like that too, and it's amazing. Pure wilderness 20 minutes from downtown.

On the other hand, part of me also wishes Vancouver was the size of Toronto or bigger. There would just be more stuff to do in the city.

In a perfect world, I'd have quick access to mountains, rainforest, and ocean but also have quick access to a multicultural megacity.
To be fair, that pure wilderness 20mins from downtown is only in one direction and that is only because there are rain forest draped mountains that defy development.
     
     
  #5357  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:07 AM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,797
You could get lost in the woods while still in Hamilton's downtown, so there.

Also I'm not sure if any part of Thunder Bay counts as outside the wild...
     
     
  #5358  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:28 AM
middeljohn middeljohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Looking at that aerial of Edmonton, I can just imagine what "Stanteck" is going to look like and the effect it will have on the skyline!
That's not really a skyline pic in the true sense. It's more a pic of Oliver, which is a highrise residential neighbourhood bordering the city core. All of the 100m+ buildings are just to the left of it.
     
     
  #5359  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:36 AM
Bcasey25raptor's Avatar
Bcasey25raptor Bcasey25raptor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver Suburbs
Posts: 2,890
Vancouver goes from urbanity to abrupt farmland. It's not just the rainforests to the north.

Head south and drive along the perimeter roads in Richmond and look north, it kind of looks like a simcity style of city planning.
__________________
River District Big Government progressive
~ Just Watch me
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau
     
     
  #5360  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:41 AM
Bcasey25raptor's Avatar
Bcasey25raptor Bcasey25raptor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver Suburbs
Posts: 2,890
I took this picture earlier today in richmond looking north towards metrotown.

__________________
River District Big Government progressive
~ Just Watch me
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.