HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2241  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 9:20 PM
linguisize's Avatar
linguisize linguisize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
The first phase of this project will be townhomes, I'll have a post up next week.
On another note, Salt Lake was just ranked first in job creation! I strongly believe the growth we are currently seeing is just the beginning.
First phase? Interesting; it's a very small lot.

Also I hope you're right about this being just the beginning, I'm looking forward to the day when developers start seeing a need for taller buildings rather than all of these 5 story monster complexes. Which I'm still okay with for now...
     
     
  #2242  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 12:05 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,763
I agree with you, especially within the CBD. However, it's surprising how many of the new residential projects, even here in Central L.A. are in that five story range. The heart of Downtown is getting taller now, but it's still very common to see a new midrise go up in the denser parts of L.A.
     
     
  #2243  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:32 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Until land becomes a bit more scarce in and surrounding downtown I think these 5 story buildings are going to be the norm. The cost jump from wood frame on a podium, to steel construction is a pretty big.

I would estimate that in a couple of years we'll see a new condo boom, for a couple or reasons. 1) Many of the apartment dwellers that are now flooding into the city moving will decide that urban living is for them, and they will choose to buy instead of rent. B) With the expansion of Goldman and potentially other investment banks into downtown, the demand for city condos will continue to increase.

I know many of those that got transferred to the Utah office of Goldman, rented many units in American Towers. I would estimate that if they see that they are staying here, they will decide to buy, and many will buy at AT, but many will want to upgrade to newer and shinier, aka City Creek and others.

That is the point I expect to see residential high rises start to sprout up.




Yes I know I used 1 and B.
     
     
  #2244  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 7:09 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Does anyone know the apartment vacancy rates at CCC? I thought they were completely full. And, so, I would assume that the demand to construct a high-rise apartment building would be definitely screaming for the last couple of years. I have to wonder if the people with owners/managers of City Creek, ie. CCRI, have thought about going forward with Tower 2 as a high-end apartment building. ??
     
     
  #2245  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 8:29 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Does anyone know the apartment vacancy rates at CCC? I thought they were completely full. And, so, I would assume that the demand to construct a high-rise apartment building would be definitely screaming for the last couple of years. I have to wonder if the people with owners/managers of City Creek, ie. CCRI, have thought about going forward with Tower 2 as a high-end apartment building. ??
My understanding is that the CC Apartments are completely leased and have at least a 6 month wait list.

We have wondered why Tower 2 (Cascade) hasn't been built as Apartments that could be converted to Condo's over time or as just apartments. They could possibly an extra 25-50% apartments in the same area (depending on floor space) rather than doing the whole building as condos.

I don't know of any real negatives that this would create other than the thought many people have that apartment dwellers are more transient and don't care about the place while condo owners do. This is the only negative that I can think of that is stopping any highrise apartments from being built currently.
     
     
  #2246  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 12:53 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,763
Utah economy continues to add jobs

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865624682/Utah-economy-continues-to-add-jobs.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Job growth in Utah is outpacing its historic average by 25 percent, a new report stated...

.
     
     
  #2247  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 1:18 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,763
The 20 Most Innovative Tech Hubs In America

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/3072/20/1...America-2-see-which-Utah-towns-made.html

1...San Jose, Ca.

2...Boulder, Colorado

3...San Francisco, Ca.

4...Corvallis, Orgegon

5...Seattle, Washington

6...Fort Collins, Colorado

7...Provo, Utah

8...Austin, Texas

9...Burlington, Vermont

10.Boston, Massachusetts

16.Salt Lake City, Utah
     
     
  #2248  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 10:09 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
My understanding is that the CC Apartments are completely leased and have at least a 6 month wait list.

We have wondered why Tower 2 (Cascade) hasn't been built as Apartments that could be converted to Condo's over time or as just apartments. They could possibly an extra 25-50% apartments in the same area (depending on floor space) rather than doing the whole building as condos.

I don't know of any real negatives that this would create other than the thought many people have that apartment dwellers are more transient and don't care about the place while condo owners do. This is the only negative that I can think of that is stopping any highrise apartments from being built currently.
I figure that the reason the Cascade isn't being built as apartments, is because The Regent is 72% sold (as of 2/21/15). It appears that The Cascade is most similar to The Regent as far as design and finishes. I would estimate that as The Regent reaches 80-90% we might see that tower crane start to rise for The Cascade.

Another note, as of that same date, all City Creek Center condos are 65% sold out, with an estimated 80% sold by 12/12/15. So I think considering that Property Reserve has the ability to wait out the condo market I think they will do just that. While I have been a proponent of them leasing The Cascade as apartments and slowly converting them to condos, I would assume that they have consider this, have run the numbers and are following the numbers.

I'm at the point where I look at it this way; The Cascade will be built, so why not wait it out and allow more apartments to be built around the city. Rather than have The Cascade take some of that market, resulting in two or three fewer apartment buildings being built, in the CBD, 4th S, or Gateway/Depot area?

Would I be opposed to them building The Cascade as apartments? No, but I can see why they aren't and I'm fine with that too.
     
     
  #2249  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 3:59 PM
msbutah's Avatar
msbutah msbutah is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 140
New banner up on 111
     
     
  #2250  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 5:31 PM
TheWire TheWire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 79
It looks like Jim Dabakis is strongly considering throwing his hat in the ring for SLC Mayor. He was very irritated by a literal last minute sales-tax deal that the city pushed through. Should be interesting to see if this battle takes shape.

http://www.senatordabakis.com/blog/its-personal-mayor-or-no-mayor
     
     
  #2251  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 10:42 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
An update on the CCH. I can officially say that we will be hearing an exciting announcement concerning the CCH in a couple weeks. So look forward to that!
     
     
  #2252  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 10:51 PM
jtrent77 jtrent77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
An update on the CCH. I can officially say that we will be hearing an exciting announcement concerning the CCH in a couple weeks. So look forward to that!
And yet another nebulous timeline...."couple of weeks" is pretty much meaningless. If you are going to cry wolf, at least tell us where exactly the wolf is.
     
     
  #2253  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 10:53 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
And yet another nebulous timeline...."couple of weeks" is pretty much meaningless. If you are going to cry wolf, at least tell us where exactly the wolf is.
???
     
     
  #2254  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 11:35 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
An update on the CCH. I can officially say that we will be hearing an exciting announcement concerning the CCH in a couple weeks. So look forward to that!
Can you give us a date? "Couple weeks"........two weeks?, three? Can you say where the announcement will take place?
     
     
  #2255  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 11:42 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
     
     
  #2256  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 11:50 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
And yet another nebulous timeline...."couple of weeks" is pretty much meaningless. If you are going to cry wolf, at least tell us where exactly the wolf is.
Hopefully he's not crying wolf. LumberJack isn't the only one claiming that there's a upcoming CCH announcement.

On the 13th of March Makid made this statement, "Lastly, Lumberjack, I have heard that we should hear something about the CCH in the next 45 days (approximately) if not the next 15 to 30 days. It could of course come sooner but this is what I have been advised to expect."

That was ten days ago so we are now looking at anywhere between 5-35 days.
     
     
  #2257  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 11:52 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Can you give us a date? "Couple weeks"........two weeks?, three? Can you say where the announcement will take place?
Don't feed him....it..her..them.
     
     
  #2258  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 11:56 PM
Wasatch Wasteland's Avatar
Wasatch Wasteland Wasatch Wasteland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 312
Big update tomorrow, incoming news, update within the next few days, information in a couple of weeks… in all honesty do you even have a clue what is going on with CCH? Maybe an ACTUAL date? It's starting to sound to me like you just enjoy creating anticipation and false excitement. I'm not trying to sound rude, but your being quite an 🞵🞵🞵.

Actually, scratch the not trying to be rude part. This is ridiculous. You may contribute a lot to this forum (A lot more than me I might add) but stop crying for attention like a thirteen year old girl. Give us some REAL information. Otherwise, just don't say anything at all. Personally I enjoy suddenly finding exciting information that I had no prior idea about, versus weeks and weeks of anticipation, real or unreal.
     
     
  #2259  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 12:01 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
An update on the CCH. I can officially say that we will be hearing an exciting announcement concerning the CCH in a couple weeks. So look forward to that!
How exciting?.. Better than we hoped exciting, or just exciting to hear anything exciting?
     
     
  #2260  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 4:22 AM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
"I'm here to announce that I will eventually have an announcement! You can look forward to things I will say about stuff in the future."
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:53 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.