HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8641  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 9:59 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,124
it's about canned tuna and from other things I have read is a paper work issue
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8642  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 10:50 PM
connect2source's Avatar
connect2source connect2source is offline
life in the present
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,888
Disappointing! Too bad it's not something more innovative like JJ Bean or 49th Parallel in that highly-visible location, we have more than enough Starbucks locations downtown, besides there's a very cool coffee place just across Helmcken under the Burrard Hotel.
__________________
source | energy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8643  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 10:52 PM
connect2source's Avatar
connect2source connect2source is offline
life in the present
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,888
interesting piece on the shabby look of Granville these days. I hope the Granville 7 project comes to fruition soon, that gaping hole is not doing that stretch of Granville any good.

http://www.theprovince.com/business/Gran...g+looking+bedraggled/10897694/story.html
__________________
source | energy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8644  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 10:54 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,124
today's granville is a big improvement in granville of the 90's
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8645  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:01 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
today's granville is a big improvement in granville of the 90's
Although I miss the traffic generated by the various movie houses.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8646  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:02 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
Probably nothing to do with the article but I just gotta say I wish they would get rid of the parking on the sidewalk. Plus all the bollards that come with it. They made these nice wide sidewalks just to be cluttered up. It looks and feels horrible. just put the parking on the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8647  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:29 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,165
Just take the parking off the street entirely. I know retailers freak out, but this isnt 1990 and this isn't the suburbs. No one drives to urban outfitters and expects to park right out front.

I would wager 95%+ of Granville St. merchants' customers don't park on Granville.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8648  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:36 PM
connect2source's Avatar
connect2source connect2source is offline
life in the present
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,888
I also think the 2 - 3 years of the Nordstrom re-clad contributed to the decline, I suspect we'll see a re-bound once it's open, along with an increase of not just transiting foot-traffic but shoppers targeting Granville merchants as well.
__________________
source | energy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8649  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 12:05 AM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Just take the parking off the street entirely. I know retailers freak out, but this isnt 1990 and this isn't the suburbs. No one drives to urban outfitters and expects to park right out front.

I would wager 95%+ of Granville St. merchants' customers don't park on Granville.
I disagree. Look at davie there's always ppl coming and going from the parking spots on the street. It just adds More life to it We don't need 4 lanes of moving traffic on granville. You're right granville doesn't need it but I think it's just nicer to have on street parking
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8650  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 12:24 AM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,165
I don't think we need 4 lanes either.

I want a transit only mall and even wider sidewalks/patios.

And while Davie may have more parking to go to their retailers, this isn't Davie, and I just don't see it on Granville.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8651  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 12:30 AM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
Like they have on the northern part of granville? Which personally I find has a dead feeling to it. commercial streets like this people should be able to drive down and stop if they want, even if it's letting people off or meeting someone. I know what you are saying though, it's just for me I've never liked the atmosphere that a transit only road gives off

But cleaning the clutter off the sidewalks and having patios would be better. And having music played on patios too.!I think this is the only city I've been too that doesn't allow that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8652  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 7:39 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,797
In a downtown setting, on-street parking is often used by delivery trucks and couriers, not necessarily customers.

I think Granville should retain 4 lanes - with the upcoming removal of the loops, people (i.e. residents) will be finding alternate ways to access the bridge to get out of downtown. That could be via Smithe, Helmcken, Davie or Drake.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8653  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 9:55 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Isn't the greenway over the bridge going to be narrowing the amount of inbound and outbound Granville Bridge lanes to just 1+1? So there is really no need for 2+2 lanes on Granville Street itself. Of course some left turn lanes should exist, but I think the roadway could be narrower. There is never any major traffic on Granville Street today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8654  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 10:15 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,797
I think it would be some sort of a merge of the 2 lanes before getting to the bridge.

You'd still need 2+2 to provide a passing lane on Granville Street proper to avoid getting stuck behind buses (since there are a lot from the transit mall).

Ever seen those poor tourists who accidentally drive onto the transit mall, stopping at every bus stop?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8655  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 1:54 AM
Retail-Insider's Avatar
Retail-Insider Retail-Insider is offline
Retail-Insider
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_Yvr View Post
There's a huge Starbucks opening in the former Indigo Bistro restaurant space at Wall Centre. Direct Burrard access as well as entrance through the South Tower hotel lobby. This is well positioned directly across from St. Paul's Hospital. This could be the largest in town...downtown at least.
Ask hotel staff why the previous Starbucks in the hotel closed. Interesting story there

Updates:

Kit and Ace to open 2nd Vancouver location at 2235 W. 4th Ave in Kits: http://www.biv.com/article/2015/3/kit-and-ace-announces-10-new-locations-including-k/

Ingeldew's footwear opens flagship at 900 W. Georgia (former Chanel space) ahead of its 100th anniversary on March 26: http://www.straight.com/blogra/415216/va...-celebrates-100-years-new-flagship-store

Last edited by Retail-Insider; Mar 20, 2015 at 2:06 AM. Reason: Added "updates"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8656  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:09 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,124
you can't park on granville street during the day can you? or is it the other way around? lol
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8657  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 3:14 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
You can park during the day but it's not on the street it's on the sidewalk. Lol

there are sections of the sidewalk at points where it's literally a few feet wide due to cars and street furniture and patios. Stupidest thing ever.

Last edited by osirisboy; Mar 20, 2015 at 4:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8658  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:01 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail-Insider View Post
Ask hotel staff why the previous Starbucks in the hotel closed. Interesting story there

Updates:

Kit and Ace to open 2nd Vancouver location at 2235 W. 4th Ave in Kits: http://www.biv.com/article/2015/3/kit-and-ace-announces-10-new-locations-including-k/

Ingeldew's footwear opens flagship at 900 W. Georgia (former Chanel space) ahead of its 100th anniversary on March 26: http://www.straight.com/blogra/415216/va...-celebrates-100-years-new-flagship-store
The previous Starbucks was at a hidden area one floor below the main lobby and fronting Hornby Street. I think the hotel wanted it to open 24 hours as an amenity for hotel guests and Starbucks refused? So Wall/Sheraton took over and made it an in-house coffee shop. Wonder if this version is correct?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8659  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:06 PM
theKB theKB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail-Insider View Post
Ask hotel staff why the previous Starbucks in the hotel closed. Interesting story there

Updates:

Kit and Ace to open 2nd Vancouver location at 2235 W. 4th Ave in Kits: http://www.biv.com/article/2015/3/kit-and-ace-announces-10-new-locations-including-k/

Ingeldew's footwear opens flagship at 900 W. Georgia (former Chanel space) ahead of its 100th anniversary on March 26: http://www.straight.com/blogra/415216/va...-celebrates-100-years-new-flagship-store
I am very interested to see how that ingledews flagship pans out. It has to be a massive risk as there is not a lot of traffic around that area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8660  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 7:23 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
The previous Starbucks was at a hidden area one floor below the main lobby and fronting Hornby Street. I think the hotel wanted it to open 24 hours as an amenity for hotel guests and Starbucks refused? So Wall/Sheraton took over and made it an in-house coffee shop. Wonder if this version is correct?
Would make sense, but I don't know. The in-house cafe is now also closed. So is also Kaffeine in the corner of Nelson and Hornby. Starbucks and Tims eating them our one-by-one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:27 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.