HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7601  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 4:41 AM
EpicPonyTime's Avatar
EpicPonyTime EpicPonyTime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Yellowfork
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
Valid points. I was just looking for other viable options because dedicated bus lanes on College Drive, University Bridge, and 25th Street is an absolute NO GO with the amount of traffic already using this route. It is the main route into downtown from the east. Would only be feasible with a bridge at 24th Street.
Was it a year or two ago that a civic engineering class on campus did a project where they designed a new bus terminal on College that would tie into BRT lanes? If I remember correctly, their design had an elevated station above the road. Really cool idea, but definitely a pipe dream.
     
     
  #7602  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 8:03 AM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Was it a year or two ago that a civic engineering class on campus did a project where they designed a new bus terminal on College that would tie into BRT lanes? If I remember correctly, their design had an elevated station above the road. Really cool idea, but definitely a pipe dream.
I believe it was a 4th year urban planning class. As for "bus lanes on College Drive, University Bridge, and 25th Street is an absolute NO GO with the amount of traffic already using this route", I say 🞵🞵🞵🞵 'em. Do it anyway. Our children will thank us .
     
     
  #7603  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 2:14 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
I'm actually redesigning the Place Riel bus mall for an urban planning class this semester.

The University is pretty much set on it staying near Place Riel and wants no part in moving it to College.
     
     
  #7604  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 2:50 PM
The S'toon Goon The S'toon Goon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 296
Would there be room on the University Bridge for 5 lanes of traffic if they got rid of the pedestrian sidewalks?

If there was, you could have two dedicated bus lanes, and one lane of traffic always flowing each way while a third lane can be switched to accommodate rush hour. So, there would be two lanes going into downtown in the morning and then switched to have two going out of downtown in the evening.

Even with five lanes of traffic there would likely be less weight on the bridge as the bus lanes should never be backed up. So that shouldn't be an issue.

Obviously a river crossing for the pedestrians and cyclists will be needed, but that could be built at 24th and for a cost less than another bridge dedicated for traffic.
     
     
  #7605  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 3:41 PM
hunter12 hunter12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
I believe it was a 4th year urban planning class. As for "bus lanes on College Drive, University Bridge, and 25th Street is an absolute NO GO with the amount of traffic already using this route", I say 🞵🞵🞵🞵 'em. Do it anyway. Our children will thank us .
So f..'em to the people in the east who use College Drive everyday but a freeway into downtown for those in the south plus Broadway Bridge plus a new traffic bridge.

If we should F'... em as you suggest then lets not build the traffic bridge and restrict traffic on all other bridges.

In fact, lets go one step further and rip out parking lots at innovation place, the university (why should students and staff have parking options), north end business, malls, etc then everyone can be treated equally.
     
     
  #7606  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 6:05 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
So f..'em to the people in the east who use College Drive everyday but a freeway into downtown for those in the south plus Broadway Bridge plus a new traffic bridge.

If we should F'... em as you suggest then lets not build the traffic bridge and restrict traffic on all other bridges.

In fact, lets go one step further and rip out parking lots at innovation place, the university (why should students and staff have parking options), north end business, malls, etc then everyone can be treated equally.
I was half joking. But in all seriousness I personally don't have much of an issue with being aggressive in trying to place public transit above personal vehicles. Other ideas that I could only see benefit from are creating a carpool lane for Circle, and a little more radical, banning the use of vehicles of a certain size (trucks for pleasure) unless permitted for a use (work), as well as emission checks. This is Saskatchewan though, not going to happen in my lifetime. But a dedicated bus lane on College makes so much sense to me.
     
     
  #7607  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 7:22 PM
hunter12 hunter12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
I was half joking. But in all seriousness I personally don't have much of an issue with being aggressive in trying to place public transit above personal vehicles. Other ideas that I could only see benefit from are creating a carpool lane for Circle, and a little more radical, banning the use of vehicles of a certain size (trucks for pleasure) unless permitted for a use (work), as well as emission checks. This is Saskatchewan though, not going to happen in my lifetime. But a dedicated bus lane on College makes so much sense to me.
I'm all for improving public transit but College Drive is the only major corridor from the east into downtown and the east is continually growing with construction starting in Brighton. I use College every day and with the traffic using it already I just don't see how you can have dedicated bus lanes without causing a traffic nightmare. It can be a nightmare already at times. I do car pool so maybe the lane should be available for people who carpool as well.

As for "trucks for pleasure" where do I fit in. I drive a truck because I have a camper.
     
     
  #7608  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 8:13 PM
macca's Avatar
macca macca is offline
the heat goes on
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 712
I guess we should invest in wider roads so you can have a camper.
     
     
  #7609  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 8:57 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
When the city builds BRT they're probably expecting 10,000 vehicles to come off the road. That's a lot less cars on College. Even with bus lanes traffic won't be that much worse.
     
     
  #7610  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 9:03 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
I'm all for improving public transit but College Drive is the only major corridor from the east into downtown and the east is continually growing with construction starting in Brighton. I use College every day and with the traffic using it already I just don't see how you can have dedicated bus lanes without causing a traffic nightmare. It can be a nightmare already at times. I do car pool so maybe the lane should be available for people who carpool as well.

As for "trucks for pleasure" where do I fit in. I drive a truck because I have a camper.
I didn't get too into it but that would also be excusable of course. By pleasure I meant those who choose to drive trucks for no real reason other than the fact that they just like trucks, which seems to be pretty common.
     
     
  #7611  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 4:30 AM
Red914 Red914 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
I didn't get too into it but that would also be excusable of course. By pleasure I meant those who choose to drive trucks for no real reason other than the fact that they just like trucks, which seems to be pretty common.
I drive a car with 4.25" ground clearance. I LOVE my car but the way the city maintains our streets in the winter I can see why people go for trucks. I'm afraid I will rip my bumper off driving down my own street.
     
     
  #7612  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 7:33 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Regina SK
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saskatoon via Regina
Posts: 643
Posted in the skyline for cities under 1,000,000 thread.

It looks like it might be getting demolished soon judging by the fencing currently around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

The Parrish & Heimbecker mill:


IMG_8138
by echoes320, on Flickr

     
     
  #7613  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 7:29 AM
jrochest jrochest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
Would there be room on the University Bridge for 5 lanes of traffic if they got rid of the pedestrian sidewalks?

If there was, you could have two dedicated bus lanes, and one lane of traffic always flowing each way while a third lane can be switched to accommodate rush hour. So, there would be two lanes going into downtown in the morning and then switched to have two going out of downtown in the evening.

Even with five lanes of traffic there would likely be less weight on the bridge as the bus lanes should never be backed up. So that shouldn't be an issue.

Obviously a river crossing for the pedestrians and cyclists will be needed, but that could be built at 24th and for a cost less than another bridge dedicated for traffic.
Except people use that bridge for pedestrian and bike traffic -- not quite as much as the Broadway, but quite a bit. Even in the winter, people walk the bridge. And when you're on foot, 'just a couple of blocks' of detour is pretty brutal, especially in the winter.

There's space for a bus lane. The thing that needs to happen first is more frequent service -- every 15 minutes at minimum and more than than that, ideally, during rush hour.
     
     
  #7614  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:29 PM
Crisis's Avatar
Crisis Crisis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,333
Maybe this will help with some of the concerns about getting traffic in and out of downtown as it could take some load off of University Bridge:

Quote:
New crossing likely at 33rd Street

A new core bridge in Saskatoon will likely connect 33rd Street to Preston Avenue.

The city's latest round of public consultations on how Saskatoon should develop as its population expands presents the 33rd Street crossing as the only long-term option.

The city had previously proposed a bridge south of the University Bridge that would connect 24th Street to College Drive, but that option has since been abandoned.

Alan Wallace, the city's director of planning and development, said a bridge at 33rd Street will have "a tremendous impact city wide, a positive impact" and was the "leading" option after two earlier rounds of public consultation.

A timeline for building and completion of the bridge - which would need to be approved by council before construction begins - remains vague.


"It's not going to be open anytime real soon," Wallace said. "It's going to be anytime between 2018 and 2045."

If built, the bridge is expected to take traffic pressure off Circle Drive Bridge and University Bridge, he said.

A 33rd-Street extension to a new bridge would traverse University of Saskatchewan land. Wallace said the city has been in conversation with the institution about placement of the bridge.

"We've got positive feedback, they like the idea of opening up their land with a bridge," Wallace said.

He said the city would need to purchase some land from the university for the project, but said it was too early to say what kind of negotiations would take place. Michael Murphy, president of the City Park Community Association, said the new bridge was a contentious issue at the organization's latest meeting Thursday.

"It's fair to say there were diverse views on it," he said.

The group did not settle on an official position, but some neighbourhood residents plan to voice their opinions at upcoming city meetings, he said.

Murphy recognized the need for more traffic flow options in Saskatoon.

"We are going to need more bridges as a growing city," he said.

There were concerns about whether 33rd Street would be able to handle the increase in traffic. Some residents at the meeting also expressed the view that the money for a bridge could be better put to use elsewhere.

"A couple people suggested it would be better for the city to spend the money on transit," he said.

The University of Saskatchewan could not be reached for comment Friday.

A 33rd-Street extension and bridge would have huge impacts on the people and businesses along 33rd Street. A spokesperson for the new 33rd Street Business Improvement District said its members have not formulated a stance on the proposed new bridge.

The city is holding two public events Tuesday to give information and gather input on its plans for growth. Events run at TCU Place from noon to 2 p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and at Louis' Loft from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. -
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/saskatoon/crossing+likely+33rd+Street/10853580/story.html
     
     
  #7615  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:35 PM
drto drto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kelowna via Calgary via Edmonton via Saskatoon
Posts: 335
"anytime between 2018 and 2045"
What kind of timeline is this? I realize it can't happen overnight but it's needed now. Surely to goodness all parties can find a way to make this happen between now and 2020 at the latest.
     
     
  #7616  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:03 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,474
I have thought maybe at 33rd, but also at Lenore. But I am sure people who live on both streets would be "un-happy" at either decision.
     
     
  #7617  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:24 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
The 33rd street bridge is at least 15 years away.
     
     
  #7618  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:54 PM
drm310's Avatar
drm310 drm310 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 650
I always thought a Lenore - Central Ave bridge would be an ideal spot. But if you look at the houses on Lenore and Spadina as compared to 33rd and Spadina... you know which voters the politicians can afford to piss off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I have thought maybe at 33rd, but also at Lenore. But I am sure people who live on both streets would be "un-happy" at either decision.
     
     
  #7619  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 4:19 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
I always thought a Lenore - Central Ave bridge would be an ideal spot. But if you look at the houses on Lenore and Spadina as compared to 33rd and Spadina... you know which voters the politicians can afford to piss off.
Haha yup, my thoughts exactly. Unless they don't care, for once I would love a city official come in for one term pass a bunch of stuff and not care if they get re-elected... Actually I should try that haha.
     
     
  #7620  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 4:35 PM
Arts Arts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I'm actually redesigning the Place Riel bus mall for an urban planning class this semester.

The University is pretty much set on it staying near Place Riel and wants no part in moving it to College.
Interesting... the biggest problem I have with an RT terminal at Place Riel is that the current access isn't exactly in tune with the idea of "rapid". It seems every single bus that heads in and out of downtown from the east side of the river has to plop onto campus - and while I realize students make up the bulk of ridership, for those that are commuting it's an extra 5-10 minutes of waiting during which time you travel 0 kms. An RT station should be adjacent to the route, should stop long enough to allow passengers on/off and then continue going. A stop should be under two minutes so that the next arriving vessel can use the platform.

I guess my point is that perhaps the university shouldn't be a "terminal" so much as a "station"?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.