HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2921  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:13 AM
GreaterMontréal's Avatar
GreaterMontréal GreaterMontréal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
People who may want to take this seriously. I care as do others who have been posting about the poor design. Sorry you don't care.
the upper floors will be condos, I think it's reasonable to think that they already know how to do it.
     
     
  #2922  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:20 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
the upper floors will be condos, I think it's reasonable to think that they already know how to do it.
Judging by the renders I'd say that haven't figured that part out yet. The current design seems less plausible then Sapphire ever did. Glad to know so many will look at a render and not realize much of it is still up in the air. If you think that they can actually be built like that I'd love to see if done.
     
     
  #2923  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:23 AM
GreaterMontréal's Avatar
GreaterMontréal GreaterMontréal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Judging by the renders I'd say that haven't figured that part out yet. The current design seems less plausible then Sapphire ever did. Glad to know so many will look at a render and not realize much of it is still up in the air. If you think that they can actually be built like that I'd love to see if done.
     
     
  #2924  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 11:28 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
Those don't clearly show the top floors to be units with thin ceilings. Also they came out the same time as the city documents showing them to be mechanical floors. Nice try.

Posted on urbantoronto.ca

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Feb 19, 2015 at 2:04 PM.
     
     
  #2925  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:04 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
It's a freak'n rendering! How thick do you think a roof over these flare outs needs to be?
     
     
  #2926  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:07 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's a freak'n rendering! How thick do you think a roof over these flare outs needs to be?

That's not my point Whipper. Are they supposed to be units or are the mechanical. If units those roofs don't ad up.
     
     
  #2927  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:17 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
I really don't get your point. It's an artistic impression of what the building will look like. I don't the builders will be using it as a reference.
     
     
  #2928  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 2:34 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
So we can't ask questions about the building then? This is a forum for people interested in architecture and design. Trying to find out if those are condo units or just empty mech spaces seems like a legitimate question to be asking without seeing the drafts. If you have an answer then please let us know otherwise try to be a little less condescending.
     
     
  #2929  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:01 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
I really didn't know what you were after? No, it's not a legitimate question because it's one that can't be answered from an artistic rendering.
     
     
  #2930  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 3:22 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
I always thought of Quebec City as an elegant place
Have you also always thought of Ste-Foy as an elegant place? If so you might want to visit someday...
     
     
  #2931  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:01 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,828
Guess I am the odd one out but I actually love the design. Love the roof, spire and height. The only thing I don't like is the huge mid-rise podium with the other 3 "towers" surrounding the main one.. makes it look to crowded...

Would love to see this tower in Vancouver or even the new Dow's Lake skyline in Ottawa. It's nice, and different! Also kind of reminds me of Trump Toronto with its onion top (which I also love but everyone seems to hate)
     
     
  #2932  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:28 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Have you also always thought of Ste-Foy as an elegant place? If so you might want to visit someday...
Regarding the comments about the location, in fairness Quebec City's doesn't really have a district that resembles anything close to a skyscraper cluster.

Obviously you don't want this stuff next to the historic city centre, and an area like Ste-Foy offers a decent concentration of economic activity already so it makes at least some sense to try and densify there.

City building is sometimes the "art of the possible" too!
     
     
  #2933  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:27 PM
GreaterMontréal's Avatar
GreaterMontréal GreaterMontréal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,628
the new downtown is in Ste-Foy because the Old Town is full of tourists and lots of traffic, not the best place to have a CBD. Old Quebec is not built like a normal city. narrow streets, etc
     
     
  #2934  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 6:44 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
^ Tourists and traffic are not good for CBDs; you heard it here first.

I am happy to see Quebec City get a tall proposal and enter the big leagues, but I really do hope they revise that design, it's pretty bad. "It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" is a mantra of good design; this isn't as subjective an idea as some might think.
     
     
  #2935  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 7:04 PM
GreaterMontréal's Avatar
GreaterMontréal GreaterMontréal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
^ Tourists and traffic are not good for CBDs; you heard it here first.

I am happy to see Quebec City get a tall proposal and enter the big leagues, but I really do hope they revise that design, it's pretty bad. "It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" is a mantra of good design; this isn't as subjective an idea as some might think.
Old Quebec is not build like Montréal. You need a car to go there. no public transport other than the bus. It's the last walled city north of Mexico. If you want a modern tower, you can't build it there. In the future, I would not be surprised to see companies move from Old-Quebec to Ste-Foy. The Old Town is not an ideal place to have a major business.
     
     
  #2936  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 7:08 PM
phesto phesto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: yvr/bwi
Posts: 2,699
New proposal for the Downtown South area of Vancouver.

40-storeys, 378 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
     
     
  #2937  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 7:13 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
[QUOTE=GreaterMontréal;6921478]Old Quebec is not build like Montréal. You need a car to go there. no public transport other than the bus. It's the last walled city north of Mexico. If you want a modern tower, you can't build it there. In the future, I would not be surprised to see companies move from Old-Quebec to Ste-Foy. The Old Town is not an ideal place to have a major business.[/QUOTE]

I think this is already the case to a large degree. Much of the economic activity in Quebec City that does not need to be in the old town is already outside the old town. You have this trend in almost any city - even the very historical ones in Europe have this trend.

But the old part of Quebec City is so unique that it will always maintain itself. It doesn't need heavy or light industries or anything of that sort. And will always have a certain number of businesses like law offices and creative industries, etc.
     
     
  #2938  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:14 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Old Quebec is not build like Montréal. You need a car to go there. no public transport other than the bus. It's the last walled city north of Mexico. If you want a modern tower, you can't build it there. In the future, I would not be surprised to see companies move from Old-Quebec to Ste-Foy. The Old Town is not an ideal place to have a major business.
Oh I'm not disagreeing with you about whether or not Old Quebec City is suitable for tall towers. I'm disagreeing with you that tourists and traffic are bad for a CBD.
     
     
  #2939  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 9:43 PM
GreaterMontréal's Avatar
GreaterMontréal GreaterMontréal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
Oh I'm not disagreeing with you about whether or not Old Quebec City is suitable for tall towers. I'm disagreeing with you that tourists and traffic are bad for a CBD.
I was talking about Old Quebec, the CBD is very small and compact, hence, not the best place. Tourists mostly visit the Old-Quebec, dozens of buses everywhere, too much traffic, and it's not an economic advantage if you want to attract major companies.

I never talk about other cities.
     
     
  #2940  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 10:59 PM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,273
Are those two levels per unit? It doesn't look 40 floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
New proposal for the Downtown South area of Vancouver.

40-storeys, 378 ft.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.