HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1961  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 1:39 AM
Wasatch Wasteland's Avatar
Wasatch Wasteland Wasatch Wasteland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 312
Hello everyone! New to the forum (although I already posted on the 111 south main page). I'd just like to say that this is turning into a pretty interesting development, that mid block pathway is much better than I imagined. Also lumberjack, why can't you tell us about the "big update" it's not like Omni can sue a third party getting information through a string of sources...
     
     
  #1962  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 1:42 AM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
Here is a link to the full presentation on the Regent Street updates from the RDA meeting minutes: http://www.slcrda.com/meetingsmin/2015/BOD/021015/7DRegentStreet.pdf
     
     
  #1963  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 2:02 AM
sock puppet's Avatar
sock puppet sock puppet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC
Posts: 56
New fence up

The block south west of the 300 N 400 W intersection, that housed Diggity Dog Resort and fronts Front Runner, is surrounded by what appears to be a construction fence.

When is that project starting? Tons of apartments, right?
     
     
  #1964  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 2:16 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
The Regent St makeover and the midblock walkway, from the renderings, are exactly what I had hopped for. Engagement is the key, provide something to engage people and they will venture outside of both City Creek and Gallivan. While Property Reserve owns the parking garage there are still other opportunities for bars and full service restaurants on Regent St.

With a simply addition of an entrance and exit to the building on the SE corner of Regent and 100 S, that could easily accommodate a nice restaurant, or bar, as could the building directly south of the garage and the base of the former D News building as well.

So even if things like coffee shops or small eateries end up in the base of the garage there is plenty of opportunities (if someone can get a liquor license that is)

I've mentioned this before, but since Regent St came up I'll say it again. I think the ideal addition to the south end of Regent St would be a nice slender/— apartment/condo building, built on the eat-a-burger and random NAC building sites. Even something around 15 stories would be a great addition. What amazing views of the Gallivan Center the south facing units would have. Include a few common area balconies on the roof and south face and that is one hell of a residential property.
     
     
  #1965  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 2:42 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I envision something like this. This is 19 floors


source http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=050#.VNwOmy7kogQ

Right here.



For reference, this site is approx 96' x 125'. The tower portion of The Regent at it's widest is 92 x 161.
     
     
  #1966  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 2:48 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I envision something like this. This is 19 floors


source http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=050#.VNwOmy7kogQ

Right here.



For reference, this site is approx 96' x 125'. The tower portion of The Regent at it's widest is 92 x 161.
I could deal with that. I would also like to see a full reclad on the Walker Center parking garage... I also hope they're able to do something to make the Regent Street parking garage look better... Then we just need to 45 story office tower where Carl's Jr. is 😁
     
     
  #1967  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 3:16 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
The planning commission reject a proposed mixed-use development for the 9th and 9th neighborhood.
     
     
  #1968  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 3:19 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
I think it's great that Struck was involved with the designs for the mid-block streets. It adds a level of sophistication that you likely wouldn't get with an architect alone or landscape designer alone.
     
     
  #1969  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 3:26 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
.

Last edited by Orlando; Feb 13, 2015 at 4:23 AM.
     
     
  #1970  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 3:35 AM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by sock puppet View Post
The block south west of the 300 N 400 W intersection, that housed Diggity Dog Resort and fronts Front Runner, is surrounded by what appears to be a construction fence.

When is that project starting? Tons of apartments, right?
I'm very interested to know this too. I take my dog to Diggity Dog about once a week, and they moved this week down to the Granary District. They wouldn't say what was going in their place, but it sure seemed eminent.
     
     
  #1971  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 3:44 AM
CountyLemonade's Avatar
CountyLemonade CountyLemonade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
The planning commission reject a proposed mixed-use development for the 9th and 9th neighborhood.
Oh, for the love. As long as car-minded residents block anything remotely progressive we will never have nice things. Heaven forbid anyone think beyond the damn car! Heaven forbid.

Sigh. Send me away and take me to Portland.
     
     
  #1972  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:43 AM
AllOutOfBubbleGum's Avatar
AllOutOfBubbleGum AllOutOfBubbleGum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 303
So yesterday the City Counsel had a public meeting on what to do with the City Golf Courses. They are considering a few things from closing a few courses or to getting a different water source to leasing the courses out to a private management firm or selling a few course.

But to save face Salt Lake City has decided to get their water from a different place (right now they use culinary). Now they believe they can save a lot of money by pumping the water out of the Jordan River and feed Rose Park and Glendale and I believe just those course are being considered for this.

Apparently with out any public input a contract has already been signed to put in 1 pump for Rose Park. I just caught wind of the price tag for the pump and I just about dropped dead, they could build my house 4 times over. I'm not sure the City counsel knows what is going on or the mayor. There's more to it but I'm not at liberty to say.

Anyways, It makes sense that the city can't develop those soccer fields either.

Too many hands in the Cookie Jar.
     
     
  #1973  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 5:32 AM
UtahMan UtahMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
The planning commission reject a proposed mixed-use development for the 9th and 9th neighborhood.
Very interesting read asie1981, thanks for keeping us updated.

The building that currently stands on that lot is an absolute eye sore- if I lived in the neighborhood I would welcome any replacement with open arms.

I just wish that the otherwise progressive people of Salt Lake City could get over their love of parking minimums. Why are 25 parking spots for 28 condos such a problem? Even if some residents did occasionally park on the street, 9th and 9th is rarely so crowded you can't find available parking. I hope the developers are able to tweak their plan into conformity and that the Planning Commission didn't scare them away from investing in our city
     
     
  #1974  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 6:13 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I'm very interested to know this too. I take my dog to Diggity Dog about once a week, and they moved this week down to the Granary District. They wouldn't say what was going in their place, but it sure seemed eminent.
It is for a large residential development. I'll try to get renderings and a post out next week.
     
     
  #1975  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 6:15 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahMan View Post
Very interesting read asie1981, thanks for keeping us updated.

The building that currently stands on that lot is an absolute eye sore- if I lived in the neighborhood I would welcome any replacement with open arms.

I just wish that the otherwise progressive people of Salt Lake City could get over their love of parking minimums. Why are 25 parking spots for 28 condos such a problem? Even if some residents did occasionally park on the street, 9th and 9th is rarely so crowded you can't find available parking. I hope the developers are able to tweak their plan into conformity and that the Planning Commission didn't scare them away from investing in our city
It was apparent by the city planning staff that this project meets all of the requirements for approval but the planning commission still voted against it.
     
     
  #1976  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 6:31 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Jordan River water. Yummy.
     
     
  #1977  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 7:55 AM
bob rulz bob rulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 1,616
Is there any hope for that development to go forward? Ridiculous that it didn't get passed, it's unfortunate that NIMBYs are apparently still powerful even in the heart of the most liberal and "progressive" areas of the city.
     
     
  #1978  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:37 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
The buildings on the south west corner of 100 S 500 W are now a pile of rubble. This is to clear the way for the new apartment development, can't remember the name, but it's the one with limited street engagement and a giant wall that Future Mayor loves so much.
     
     
  #1979  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:38 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
I think the Regent Street plans look great. My hope is that Regent is more successful that Gallivan Avenue has been at attracting tenants. These designs look similar and I would hate to see open storefronts like Gallivan has had for years.
     
     
  #1980  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:43 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
The project on the corner of 100 S and 500 W is the Alta Gateway Apartments. The project on 400 West is the Lofts at Gateway Apartments. They are both similar projects in many ways but the latter project in my opinion is much more engaging. The facade, though long, does have some interesting features and is proposing better exterior materials. I think the best part of the project is the large retail space on the corner of 300 North and 400 West. It is a space that is large enough to make a significant impact. Between the 2 projects they are adding somewhere between 700 and 800 units. Both developers have generally only built very high end projects so the interiors should be pretty top notch.

Finally, don't get me started about the denial of the proposal on 9th and 9th. It was the Planning Commission giving into public clamor plain and simple.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:22 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.