Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga
What?? Calgary is definitely better than Pittsburgh! Not Seattle though. Maybe I'll have to check out more Pittsburgh pics, but it looked small.
|
I May be a bit biased & I know how many people in Canada/ US & the world over that like Seattle's Skyline & Rank it Highly but it has many many flaws Calgary's overall doesn't, Its beautiful don't get me wrong, but the distance between the Space Needle & Seattle's other buildings are very deceiving & given the proper angle, this can make the Seattle Skyline seem rather lacking in certain area's where the Gap of space becomes more apparent, I think from its best Angle Seattle has Calgary beat, but overall Calgary comes out on top as it has more buildings closer together & looks slightly better than Seattle does from many different angles.
Seattle:
http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-filesystemfile...00-00-01-57-30/8838.seattle-sky-line.jpg
See! Even Toronto better makes up with this Discrepancy better than Seattle (with mid to low rises) Seattle just needs more densification over the decades & needs a much bigger population overall I think
before it can start filling those holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh
You don't get it do you... Ranking skylines is not only about height, it's also about density and quality... So saying Calgary's is better than Pittsburgh's or Seattle's just because it has more tall buildings is idiotic. I hope you understood my point now.
Back to skylines now please.
|
Yeah you do have a point though, but Calgary's CBD is stricking larger than Pittsburgh's though, not so sure about Seattle because of the Gap I just pointed out but I think they are similar,
Calgary in my mind has few to no holes (& even from Angle's that make it look Smaller u get a different feel of the Skyline & sometimes the Rockies behind it too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga
I'm glad you mention BC Place because yes buildings like that (and Canada Place, and bridges, and church spires) are not skyscrapers and don't count when talking about height, but they are part of a skyline and they do add to it.
I'm still of the belief that natural setting is something different though. Which is why I wouldn't rank Vancouver high because of its surroundings. I would judge it on it's height, density, balance, architecture, shape etc.
And Canada's #2 is definitely subjective as evident by your post. You state Vancouver's "same color buildings" as a plus.. well that's probably the one thing I hate about Vancouver the most lol.
|
Yeah but Vancouver has Angle's that make it look like its Toronto or Manhattan, u just can't say that about Calgary or Montreal, (though obviously smaller than the 1st two I mentioned Vancouver Pulls Massively for its weight just like Calgary does for its weight, I figured that was fairly apparent giving the number of high rises) Heck I may even go as far as saying Vancouver's Skyline is better than San Francisco's.