HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8401  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:16 PM
connect2source's Avatar
connect2source connect2source is offline
life in the present
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Microsoft have announced they're opening a retail store in Pacific Centre. 3rd store in BC, 9th in Canada.


Ron.
Thanks Ron, I still have to laugh at how blatant a rip-off the Microsoft store design is, I'm surprised Apple hasn't sued them!

Source :Corporate Eye via http://www.ampagency.com/blog/if-you-cant-beat-them-copy-apple/
__________________
source | energy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8402  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:40 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
There is a different floor and ceiling.
... and change the merchandise and the Microsoft store just as welll be a GAP.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8403  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:13 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
not much they could do in store design really, forgo the table route and use counters?
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8404  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 2:30 PM
connect2source's Avatar
connect2source connect2source is offline
life in the present
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,884
More about the Microsoft store in the Georgia Straight:

http://www.straight.com/blogra/817156/microsoft-store-coming-pacific-centre-vancouver

I wonder if they'll take the current Apple space on the upper level when Apple's rumoured move to the new extension under Nordstrom takes place? 3443 sq. feet sounds about the size of the current Apple store.
__________________
source | energy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8405  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:39 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,429
So the new Apple store will be bigger? I have to say I hate every Apple store I have been in. It's loud busy and claustrophobic. Going in to get my phone diagnosed and fixed for example was horrible. I could barely hear the guy the process was rushed and frantic. No one I know enjoys going in those things unless they have to. I get Apple wants to have the stores look busy and energetic but how it is now is stupid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8406  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:01 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
I wonder if they'll take the current Apple space on the upper level when Apple's rumoured move to the new extension under Nordstrom takes place? 3443 sq. feet sounds about the size of the current Apple store.
The existing Lease plan, here:
http://www.cfretail.com/FloorPlans/PCLOP02_floorplan.pdf
says that Apple is 5,366 sq ft.
None of the other existing tenants have that exact sq ftage.
(Mexx is close with 3,690 sq ft)

Maybe Microsoft will be under Nordstrom too?

PS - the lease plan already shows Take 5 and Meinhardt at Canaccord Tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8407  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:23 PM
connect2source's Avatar
connect2source connect2source is offline
life in the present
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,884
Thanks officedweller! I was also guessing Sony but it's far too small, my guess is Apple wouldn't want Microsoft in close proximity under Nordstrom.
__________________
source | energy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8408  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:42 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
So the new Apple store will be bigger? I have to say I hate every Apple store I have been in. It's loud busy and claustrophobic. Going in to get my phone diagnosed and fixed for example was horrible. I could barely hear the guy the process was rushed and frantic. No one I know enjoys going in those things unless they have to. I get Apple wants to have the stores look busy and energetic but how it is now is stupid
the coquitlam store is huge i bet you could fit three pac centre apple stores inside


apple.com
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8409  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 11:43 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Thanks officedweller! I was also guessing Sony but it's far too small, my guess is Apple wouldn't want Microsoft in close proximity under Nordstrom.
Microsoft will be going in the expansion. Apple might not want them so close to Nordstrom, but the building is going to have a big Microsoft logo on the side of it, so...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8410  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 11:49 PM
Joat's Avatar
Joat Joat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 226
Is apple still looking for a spot on robson street?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8411  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:22 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
So is Apple moving to a bigger location under Nordstrom or staying put?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8412  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 5:39 AM
Jougho Jougho is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 106
Mac & Pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
So is Apple moving to a bigger location under Nordstrom or staying put?
Hey You,

I am hearing that Apple is going to blow everyone's socks off with the new location and I am not talking about their temporary new space under Nordstrom.

cheers,
j
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8413  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 3:55 PM
connect2source's Avatar
connect2source connect2source is offline
life in the present
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,884
The Dynamite location at Robson and Thurlow is now closed, so aside from Aritzia Base the entire complex is now vacant at street level. I curious as to whether the owners will make extensive changes and perhaps a large flagship store will occupy the whole thing.

The vacant building looks terrible and is creating a rather dead feeling to the corner.
__________________
source | energy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8414  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 4:54 PM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
It seems like the landlord is waiting for the Red Robin lease to expire.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8415  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 4:56 PM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jougho View Post
I am hearing that Apple is going to blow everyone's socks off with the new location and I am not talking about their temporary new space under Nordstrom.
Here's hoping the rumoured Hotel Vancouver site goes ahead sometime soon!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8416  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 11:58 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
It seems like the landlord is waiting for the Red Robin lease to expire.
I am going to be really sad to see that Red Robbins go. That is probably my favourite restaurant location in the entire city. So nice to have a burger and a beer there and watch the action below from the wrap around windows. Not to mention the outside patio is always great in the summer.

Seriously, this city needs to retain / create more interesting places to eat (that are not insanely expensive), getting tired of ever restaurant simply being a first floor walk in.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8417  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 AM
Conrad Yablonski's Avatar
Conrad Yablonski Conrad Yablonski is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
....this city needs to retain / create more interesting places to eat (that are not insanely expensive), getting tired of ever restaurant simply being a first floor walk in.
Quite agree but second story anything selling food is a tough sell in a market this small.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8418  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 1:25 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
Quite agree but second story anything selling food is a tough sell in a market this small.
Yet that Red Robbins is a fav for many many people I know, because it is well advertised / visible and it orientated properly over looking an intersection.

Actually, one of the girls I have met here in Japan will be sad to hear it will go. (It is amazing how many young Japanese, even here in rural Japan, have spent time in Vancouver). As soon as i told here I was from Vancouver she told me about how much she loved the Red Robbins on Robson Street, haha.

Seriously, many of these massive redevelopments are taking a lot of character out of the city (I still miss the underground thrift store on Robsons with all the awesome buttons).
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8419  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 4:10 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
it does add some eyes to that intersection, i wonder why they would let it sit with so much emptiness, they must be expecting something to happen that we don't know about
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8420  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 11:29 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.